1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Walking immediately after meal- good or bad

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Rachna, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

Dear ladies

pls help me out..i have read on Ils as well as few mails that walking after meal is not good (7 don't after meal thread) whereas have also heard that as per ayurveda walking 100 steps after meal is good for digestion.

Can anyone help me what exactly should be followed.I hav the habit to walk 15 min after lunch and dinner. How much time gap shall i follow? Has anyone consulted a doctor for this?

2. IndianQueen

IndianQueen Silver IL'ite

I think its not good to do rigorous/fast walking/jogging right after food. I guess you could go for a stroll, after dinner especially, so that it eases the digestion process. It is always good to exercise after a good 2-3 hrs gap after a meal..

good luck...

1 person likes this.
  3. ziesha001

ziesha001 Junior IL'ite

• Walk immediately after eating is wrong. Because the digestive system need more blood to help digest the food you ate. If you walk instantly, the blood will goes to other organs, this is not good for digestion and absorption, and some people may feel like vomiting & dizzy.
    • Before walking, you have to give at least twenty minute to go on the night walk (or even more time, it depends on the person and what you have eaten) to let the digestive system digest the food and absorb the nutrition you intake. After this short rest, you can go for at least twenty minute light walking. This is the healthy way to walk after eating.

2 people like this.
  4. reena2012

reena2012 Junior IL'ite

Walking immediately after eating is considered bad because body must direct all blood to digestive system to start digestion of ingested food. Walking would mean blood will go to your legs, which slows digestion. Walking after about an hour should be ok.

1 person likes this.
  5. gourishankari

gourishankari New IL'ite

hi rachna,
    as per ayurveda,it is said that one should take
    rest for 20 minutes after lunch & it is good to
    walk for 10 to 15 minutes in a normal phase
    (i.e.100 foot steps) after the dinner.
    gouri.

1 person likes this.
  6. PRUDENT

PRUDENT New IL'ite

Yes walking should be done 1/2 hr after meals it helps in burning the extra calories and prevents weight gain as sleeping immediately after meals does

1 person likes this.
  7. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

Thanks all for your reply

I have one question. My husband has habit to take one apple and one banana in the morning in empty stomach. Immediately after that he goes for brisk walk of 1 hr. It is really difficult for him to go empty stomach as he feels very hungry . Pls suggest..is it fine to have these fruits before going for brisk walk in early morning??in this way, is he getting the nutrition from fruit (keeping in mind the ideal gap between food and walk)