Indian palate for 4 American guests. Urgent Recipe Ideas please!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by chicagoadithic, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Magee

Magee Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

When i went to dinner with one of my UK client, i noticed they liked Dal Makhani, Kashmiri pulao and naan alot.

Try some fruit salad, or icecream with fruit salad.

1 person likes this.
  2. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

hi, you can make like this:

apitizer: spinach pakodi

main: naans(you can order them)
    paneer butter masala(you can use canned tomatoes or tomato puree for brighten the color)
    plain basmati rice
    tandoori chicken
    raita

dessert: gulab jamoons with vanilla ice crm
    or
    fruit salad with mango pulp

1 person likes this.
  3. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

usualy my dh's friends(australians)likes poori, kesari, potato masala and veg biryani........and these are very easy to prepare and takes less time..........

1 person likes this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

My experience is we can cook anything Indian (I do not know about non veg as I am a vegetarian) but with spices and chillies toned down to the lowest level. They enjoy our food...both south Indian and north Indian. Once I made a typical Telugu lunch....curry, dal, sambhar, curney etc and they loved it. They even said it is not like restaurant food they eat in Indian restaurants. In London we get a lot on South Indian food also but generally in USA it is North Indian food. I once made idli and sambhar and they asked me how to eat them. I told dip a small piece of idli in sambhar and eat it. They loved it.So, you can make anything Indian...upma, dosai anything. One thing I like in them is that they like to eat new dishes and experimenting. For desert.....somehow they find our Indian deserts too sweet and they eat very small piece. Generally I used to make custard with fruits with sweetness toned down. So, go ahead and cook.

Syamala

1 person likes this.
  5. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Hi..
    American love indian food, but with mild chilli and spices.Here are some menu ideas that you could try.

Appetiser - Sweet corn veg soup

Starter - Chicken malai kabab/veg cutlet/chicken 65

Menu:

Rice/bread - Poori, white rice, lemon rice
    Curry - Aloo masala (for poori), paneer/chicken tikka masala
    Dal - Tadka dal
    Desert - microwave kalakhand/saffron kulfi

For the appetiser and starter recipes you can check vahchef's youtube channel.chicken malai kabab is not spicy but very rich in taste as we use cheese.
    Poori is loved by all americans and it can be served with the mild potato curry which is also served with dosa for masala dosa.If you can get hold of parampara tikka masala paste from indian stores, then you can easily make paneer or chicken tikka masala.

For tadka dal just pressure cook toor dal till soft and add tadka to it, this dal is bland and can be served with roti and rice.For moer flavour could also add ghee/butter to it.Microwave kalakhand or kulfi are easy to make.You can find them in any food blog.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.