1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tough to wake baby from sleep.help pls

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Cutiesri, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

My 3weeks baby is not at all drinking milk..she drinks only 5 or 10 minutess when she is hungry and goes back to sleep.in the mean time she used to burp also..is burping means her stomach is full? i m very confused and worried.pls help me frends.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012

2. vidhyabharath

vidhyabharath Silver IL'ite

Hi Uma!

How many times the baby is taking the feed in a day? When you feeding the baby try to rub gently in the cheeks near the ear with your thumb, sometimes baby will take the feed if they sleep or slightly rub gently in their foot. Actually it worked me, I too have the same with my little one. But she will take the feed in the night only in one side. In the day time she will take only for 5 to 10 minutes and go back to sleep.

When I checked with my pediatrician she told that these are all normal with the babies not to worry if the growth and weight is normal and gradually increased. Also she said that the baby will take their feed as much as they want.

(Normally the babies will lose their weight in first 20 days and regain the same in the coming days)

So, Please dont worry, if you have any other doubt check with your doctor for further advice.

3. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Vidhya,
    I did everything by rubbing her cheeks,foot...but nothing works for me..I m very much worried of her health..she was 3kgs when she born and after 25 days she is with the same weight..no gain of weight:-( is it normal?

4. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Hi Uma

Its not true that your baby has not gained any weight. When she was born she was 3Kgs. That weight would have dropped in the following days to 2.75 or even 2.5. So when you say that she is now 3 kg, she has put on weight and has come back to her birth weight. This is a good sign.

You havent mentioned how many times you are feeding in a day?I used to feed once every 3 hours. As your doctor says - as long as she's not dropping weight and gaining steadily, there's nothing to worry about.

5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@umaguru Are you using diapers throughout? If yes, then you might want to try by feeding your LO without diapers. Whenever LO pees/poops then regular cloth would become wet and she might not be able to sleep properly. So she would wake up. But please ensure that the wet cloth is removed immediately.

6. Pisces12345

Pisces12345 Junior IL'ite

you can try changing sides every 5 minutes or when your LO is trying to sleep. This might keep her awake for a longer feed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  7. ra4ra4ra

ra4ra4ra New IL'ite

Hi Uma
    Try contact method which is sure to work. Just before feedtime undress your baby except for nappy and put her on your chest (inside your clothes), such that both of you have skin to skin contact. The body warmth and smell of the mother will wake her up and she will take full feed.

This method was suggested to me by the lactation consultant and it has worked for me in both of my kids as both of them are premature babies.

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi NJ1785, ra4ra4ra,
    Welcome to IL..

9. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Nj1785,ra4ra4ra thanks for stepping in..
    Sure I will try those ideas.