1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is my boy Autistic ???????? please throw some light ............ :(

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by shireesha06, Jun 21, 2012.

1. shireesha06

shireesha06 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ilites,

I'm very confused about my son who is turning 3 next month.
    the main concern I have with him is speech delay, he is not speaking well from 8 months. Infact he used speak very well when he was between 1 to 21/2 yrs like he used to repeat everything and say many words etc, but i dont know suddenly what happend to him but he stopped talking and forgot all the words he used to say before, now he is speaking hardly 50-60 words, and he is not showing any intrest in learning alphbates or numbers, he will watch more cartoons almost half day if he is at home.

he is very healthy kid.actually he started going to day care from last 8 months and he stopped talking much from then.

he was in india for 8 months after first bday and he was speaking very well( in my mother tounge) and after coming usa we are trying to speak with him in english,i dont know may be this is the reason ???

now he is not even trying to repeat anything i told him .

apart from speech he is very active he will play alot , like swimming, car ride etc.

he will say words like 'comehere','open door','want chips','lets go',tom n jerry','mr.bean','mickeymouse' 'great day''thank u''sorry''please'etc etc..

we did took him to early evauation and he scored less and they recommonded speech therapy I'm going to do that now.

he dont learn alphabates but he know how on and off laptop and fan and microwave , stove he will learn that stuff quickely.

i'm feeling very bad about this and not sure what to do to improve my son speech and learning skills.

I'm reading some blog about Autism and I was scared thinking that even my son posessing early signs of Autism........:(

please experienced moms please tell me what to do for this?

thanks,
    siri

2. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Don't Panic and imagine things.
    He is normal.
    My elder son stopped talking at 2 suddenly. I was worried and ran to doctors / ped. / even like mad i took him to Pshyco doc. The Pshyco Doc opened my eyes.
    he looked at him and observed him and spoke to him for only 10 minutes. Then he told him to go out and play in reception room.
    After my son went out, the doc gave a nice shouting and also gave a big advise...........
    The matter, i started working when my son was 2 years and left him in daycare. The first problem was language...( the babysitter spoke malayalam + my Tamil + my DH english + Relatives Marathi + Hindi ) ............................+ second problem was ATTENTION ( which he got less in day care)...
    I changed my job as home based ( my company was supportive and good).
    We decided and started talking in english. I gave full attention...
    Today he is shining out and knows English + tamil + malayalam + Marathi + Hindi + ARABIC.
    Today I am crying to him to stop talking and asking questions.

So basically your LO needs mothers full love + attention + introduce only one lauguage at a time.
    He will shine out like my DS.

And you will post here to me that.

9 people like this.
  3. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

well said Nijasav. Shireesha, don't panic, he seems to be normal/

1 person likes this.
  4. aj_fathima

aj_fathima Bronze IL'ite

As Nijasav stated this could also be due to language problem.Multiple languages spoken around kids confuse them.

But still I would prefer you consult your paed who can guide you.

My son was hyperactive and had some characteristics of Autism.He was also a healthy kid.Very sharp and fast in grasping things.But didn't talk even after 3 yrs of age and was very aggressive.

That is when we started all his therapies.Today he's doing good.

Please do not jump to conclusions that your son is autistic.At the same time if you want to clarify all your queries do consult the doc.Because the early you start sooner will be the results.

1 person likes this.
  5. drsurabhijain

drsurabhijain Silver IL'ite

shireesha please take a long breath and then try to spend much time with your kid.DO NOT EXPECT too MUCH FROM YOUR BABY so soon...

1 person likes this.
  6. gr200719

gr200719 New IL'ite

Hi Siri,

Don't be panic, remember boys are very slow in growth & learn compare to girls, i see 50% of boys has the same problem, 2 of my friends went through this, one friend son he didn't say any big words when he was 21/2 years, due to family reason they went to india and stayed in India, by the time he return he changed a lot. Same thing happen with another friend also, telugu at home, english at school so the boy was so confused and stopped to talking, by 31/2 years they both were perfectly good and even became naughty also. Another friend son is 3 yrs he just started framing sentences in telugu.

I would suggest go india and stay there for few months, kids will learn very quickly, bcoz they interact with so many people in india. I have blessed with 2 boys, my in-laws came to US and stay here for 5 months, from them my elder one learn so much, and recently we went to india, i stayed there for 3 months, with in these 3 months my little one also learned very quickly.

This is my experience with my kids and my friends kids, hope this helps.

-GR

1 person likes this.
  7. Tanujam30

Tanujam30 Silver IL'ite

First of all...Do NOT do self diagnosis, dont panic and let the experts do the job.

There have been a lot of changes in your DS's life recently, moving to india, starting day care, sudden switch of languages...You should check with your ST have these things affected your childs speech.

When you want your child to be bilingual there MUST be a structure...Your son is exposed to way too many languages, his caretakers change & so does the language...I think even adults will find it difficult to adapt so quickly.

Our Peds & ST told us when my baby was an infant that you can speak multiple languages to your child and it is best to introduce languages early on, since it also helps with child intellectual development. Only thing is it should be done with structure. For eg, I am the Hindi parent for my child, My DH is the English parent. So she knows who speaks what. This has been from the time she was 6 mnths old. It helps a if you speak a lot to your child and read to them as well.

At 27months my DD speaks 2 languages fluently and was evaluated to be at 36months - which is great given the fact she is bilingual and was born with a cleft palate (affects speech) and never needed speech therapy. The ST says it is all because I speak a LOT to her. If you can, try taking some time off and work with your DS in English, so he is comfortable in daycare.

8. shireesha06

Thankyou all for your wonderful and quick replies......
    as I'm working full day I'm not concentrating much on him these days,now i will try to spend time with him.

@NijaSav : same thing here, even istarted working when he was 2 and send him to day care where caregiver is spanish women it might be the same thing with my DS as your DS. thanks for explaining.

@GR : thanks for explaining , yes even my DS also when he was in india he was speaking very well then,
    then I will try to plan a trip to india by convincing my DH by showing this reason :)(kidding)

@Tanuja: thanks for the suggestion to speak each language by each parent, we will try to follow that.

thank you all.

siri.

9. MiaSen

MiaSen Senior IL'ite

Shireesha,
    Hugs to you... I know how it feels when such a thought crosses your mind.
    I had to go through such a phase last year. My son vl turn 4 in 4 months.
    He was a normal happy kid and we moved out of india vn he was 1.5... with the language confusion (its german here) and not many indian friends who speak our language, it took quite sometime for us to realize that he is not speaking at all... not even mama...
    So I took him with me to india and we stayed there for sometime which helped immensely. I had him evaluated by a speech therapist and he turned out perfectly normal. He talks so much now and I cannot put in words how relieved i am...
    He exhibited a lot of autistic symptoms which I now see are very common in boys... Sometimes I feel its my mistake having put my son through so much - keeping him at home all the time, not talking to him much and not taking him out...
    Having said that am glad that we took the right decisions at the right time and he is fine now.
    At home, please stick to your mother tongue... once they pick up their mother tongue, they'll pick up other languages quite easily.
    Dont worry... this stage will pass for sure, coz this is a lot common problem than we think.
    Try bringing grandparents if possible or go to india for sometime - being with GPs help a lot.
    If nothing of this is possible, make sure TV programs are in your mother tongue and at home u all speak in ur mother tongue....
    You cannot conclude anything by the list of symptoms put on the web. Every child is different and I think your son just needs time, care and most of all proper environment...
    Do what you think is the best for your son...

10. shireesha06

Thank you so much Miasen. sure i will try to speak well with him and if possible i will try to plan a trip to india.
    thank you once again for suggestion .