1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jittery about starting solids

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Rakhii, May 5, 2012.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ya, it's common sense isn't it Ramya...I guess I just needed someone to tell me that :) thanks.

2. Rakhii

Ramya, Srama and other ladies, it's been a week since I have started giving her cereal and so far she is still have a max of half tbsp mixed in 50 ml milk (almost milk like consistency). This morning I have made a touch thicker. But either way, 1/2 tbsp is where she is stopping. She is spitting out anything after that. Even this is taking me good 45 mins. Is this normal?
    Needless to say, she is still hungry and is having the milk like before.

Where am i going wrong? Also, since it's a week now I guess I can stay feeing her in evenings also isn't it? What say?

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rakhi...
    Children eat as much as their tummy holds not a morsel more so wait for some more days as her digestion improves she will eat more.... Dont fret dear

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@rakhii absolutely normal. It does take time. Only when she takes more solids, the milk intake will reduce.

Also did you try entertaining her while giving. I think you can start feeding cereal in the evenings too. But keep a tab on constipation once you start.

5. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

@Rakhii, you can try giving carrot/apple water - boil carrot/apple, let it cool, grind it to a puree and strain it (easier if you have a juicer where you can get strained juice). My DD started to like other forms of foods after I gave her these juices. Initially, she didn't like rice cereal.

6. Rakhii

Thanks vjbunny, Ramya and Karuna. Ya, she sits on the high chair and watches sesame street or baby einstein dvds.

She has been so fussy since 2 days. Will reply on Monday ladies. I am soooo exhaustEd.

7. reena2012

reena2012 Junior IL'ite

Hi, starting solids is a big step forward. You can give rice cereal or even fruits. I gave my daughter banana as her first food. It is sweet and easily digestible. Take a very small piece and mash it completely and mix with baby's milk to a runny consistency. Feed with a spoon. Take very slowly for the first month. Increase the amount gradually over couple of weeks. You can also give dal water and apple sauce. There is some good advice on this link : First Foods(4-7 months) - ShishuWorld

8. renji79

renji79 Senior IL'ite

Hi reena

Thanks for the website , its very informative .

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Reena
    Welcome to IL... Thats lovely link you shared here.. Thanks a lot dear...

10. Rakhii

Ladies, it's been close to 3 weeks since I started cereal in the morning for my LO. This evening I gave her a tbsp of cereal at 6 pm. 7 pm she had 60ml milk and slept. Since then she has been waking up often.

How long before her bedtime (7 pm) should I be giving her cereal?