question on IUI -how do they know this -

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by kalps222, May 8, 2012.

1. kalps222

kalps222 New IL'ite

hello

when it comes to IUI, i heard that, for women doctor recommends us for natural ovulation , or sometimes asks us to go with clomid or injections

how does these natural ovulation,clomic,injectible differ

in case of natural ovulation, how dos the clinic know when to inject the sperms...is there a specific period when the egg ovulates

what is the purpose of clomid

what is the purpose of injectible

if am ovulating correctly, which option is preferred form.

i heard,using clomid or injectible release more eggs resultin in twins..is that true? please advise

2. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

I do not know about injectibles, but can answer your question regarding clomid.

Clomid is given when you fail to ovulate naturally. What clomid does is, trigger the brain to produce more Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH) which leads to creation of ovarian follicles and thus results in ovulation.

Doctors generally start with a low dosage of clomid (50mg) and can increase it upto 200 mg, depending on how well you react to the dosage.

It is true that possibility of twins are more with fertility treatments. Sometimes clomid can trigger to produce more eggs than normal and it might result in twins / multiples. More than clomid, i know that IVF carries a higher chance of resulting in multiples.

"in case of natural ovulation, how dos the clinic know when to inject the sperms...is there a specific period when the egg ovulates"

The clinic will know when to do this by monitoring your follicular growth. Once the follicle reaches a certain size, say 18 mm the egg would be ready to be released. They will perform your IUI during this window.

3. cin510

cin510 New IL'ite

--if you ovulating naturally, therre is no need for clomid or inj...otherwise doc starts with clomid and gradually increase the dose depending on your body respone... if the higher dosage of clomid cannot trigger ovulation, you will be given inj(fsh, hcg)

in case of natural ovulation, how dos the clinic know when to inject the sperms...is there a specific period when the egg ovulates
    --- from ultrasound scan , follicle status is read and insemination is done 24hrs before ovulation, on the day of ovulation

what is the purpose of clomid-----triggers ovulation

what is the purpose of injectible----stimulating follicles and ovulation

if am ovulating correctly, which option is preferred form----may be IUI with no medication

i heard,using clomid or injectible release more eggs resultin in twins..is that true? please advise
    ---its true. clomid/ing stimulates more than one follicle ,in turn multiple eggs may release which may lead to multiple pregnancy...

4. mommybird

mommybird Gold IL'ite

hello

when it comes to IUI, i heard that, for women doctor recommends us for natural ovulation , or sometimes asks us to go with clomid or injections

Natural ovulation occurs naturally every month for a women around CD10-CD14 in most cases. Clomid is a drug which aids in growth of eggs to a certain extent.

Injectibles increases the chances of better quality eggs in a shorter span. For eg: If you use clomid your eggs will be ready by CD 14, then using injectible will give you desired egg size with better quality in CD 9 itself.

Yes. You will have to do a Ovulation test and when it turns positive, they will inject the sperms. If not, after the Scan if they confirm that your eggs have reached the desired size they will give you an injection to release the eggs and then do the IUI the next day.

what is the purpose of clomid

what is the purpose of injectible

if am ovulating correctly, which option is preferred form. - Preferred is natural Ovulation with IUI. However, if the sperm count is a problem and you want to maximise your chances, then go in for a more aggressive clomid approach.

Not necessary..but its true. I used injectibles and IUI with 3 eggs released, but got pregnant with a singleton.

5. ashwini999

ashwini999 Senior IL'ite

thanks all for your kind replies.

when going for IUI, at what stage do we know it is a twins or triplet or more,.at that point, if it more than a twin, do we have the option of going for abortion..i heard this is the only risk with IUI.also,soon after the IUI is done ,is it possible for doctors to track whether egg is fertilized or not or do we need to wait for out periods to confirm pregnancy..
    please advise.

6. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Its called the 2 Week Wait, and one of the biggest sources of anxiety for most TTC ladies here. You have to wait out your remaining cycle time and then take a pregnancy test to see if it worked.

Twin, Triplet...First heartbeat would be heard anywhere between 6 - 10 weeks. So I guess that would be a logical time to figure out how many heartbeats are there, and thus figure out if its a multiple pregnancy.

7. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ashwini,
    If its more than twins, you will get the option for the next step from the doc! So, don't worry!
    All the best!