Managing baby and myself after delivery

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by renutn, May 3, 2012.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Prepare yourself mentally that "the only things your going to do" are feeding the baby(should take up most of your day) eating and cooking. While feeding don"t worry thinking oh my god I have to cook clean etc. ( like I did). Finish cooking in 45 minutes so you cut veggies in one break and cook curry for a few minutes in next break.

2. revaselva

revaselva Senior IL'ite

hi ladies,
    good to see so many of you in US have gone through this situation ....of handling delivery without elders help..I am sailing in the same boat currently...I delivered my 2nd daughter 7 wks ago...mine was normal delivery..but this time I am getting more often lower back pain. donno if it is due to epidural or weakness....I am normally mentally strong person and wanted to handle this delivery with just DH's help...but since many friends warned me to get help...i hired a punjabi nanny for a month since I didnt want to call anyone from India..I am a south Indian..so realized quickly that cuisines dont match at all...esplly after delivery...with the spl diet...so let her go after 2 wks of delivery. Good thing is dh is very good cook and cooks very fast. My routine so far is dh wakes up 7am and cooks in abt 45min...since we eat nonveg...he cooks simple tomato rasam or simple curry and either an egg/baked fish (which he marinates the previous night) etc..this is to give u an idea...u can google for post delivery diet or look in this wonderful site itself, as someone suggested...
    when my labor pains started irregularly...i soaked rice,dal to prepare idly batter...and in few hrs...i prepared the batter, already bought veggies, rotiland chapathis....baby stuff was all set long time ago...
    once i delivered dh made fresh idlies and brought me to hospital while he ate the hospital meals..so managed like tht....my elder daughter goes to full time daycare...so my job is to handle the little one only during day time and in the evening dh manages elder dd....so in break times....i cut veggies for next day cooking or hand wash few dishes or load dishwasher.....cleaning is the only thing that we are ignoring temporarily..since we have hands full with a newborn and a toddler at home....hope this helps other ladies...

1 person likes this.
  3. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,

thanks for wonderful tips on managing ourself after delivery. Since I am feeling not much mentally strong so my husband suggested to have a cook . So main problem is over and as he can work from home so I am bit relaxed and relieved as of now.
    Just praying God for safe and healthy delivery .

4. hamsa23

hamsa23 Senior IL'ite

HI preggos,
    I sailed in the same boat, Mental preparation is imp thing, WE managed by ourselves, Stock the food in freezer, Buy bread and cereals, Sleep when baby sleeps. We took turns, I used to pump milk and store it, when DH comes from office, he used to take acre of baby, and I took over the kitchen cooking simple things, and at 8pm I used to go tobed, and DH took care of kid and woke up at 10 or so to feed, again going back to sleep, last feed before DH goes to bed is a big feed by bottle, so kid sleeps extra time, and after 12 midnight its my turn, I used to wake up if Baby cries.

5. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

thanks hamsa...
    indeed these responses makes the preggy who are independent have to plan and build confidence on what to do after the delivery.

I feel DH role is very imp...we need to start preparing our DH for the exams :)

6. luv2smile

luv2smile Silver IL'ite

yeah, if your DH is very cooperative you can very well manage it otherwise its hell.

7. kiran82

kiran82 Silver IL'ite

Very well written Archana-I am sure our friends would have gained a lot of confidence after reading your post. Not feeling tense and worked-up is a very important factor to make the job-on-hand easier.

Regards,

8. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Also buy paper plates, bowl, cups so you have less washing to do.

9. priyagem

priyagem Bronze IL'ite

congrats to all the ladies.

10. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Keep us posted on how you guys are doing