Help with Microwave Oven

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MD013, May 8, 2012.

1. MD013

MD013 New IL'ite

Hello Every body,

My father gifted me IFB microwave oven. the person who came for demo gave to my hubby as i was not available at that time. my hubby explained it to me. but still i don't find it much of use.

I tried making grilled chicken in it but it became like rubber:hide: i preheated oven to 180°C & then kept the chicken pieces into it, but outcome was very bad.. also, there are many functions & buttons which i just don't know what to do???

2. prashanthi9

prashanthi9 New IL'ite

may be u would get some manual (or catalogue with some instructions to use) along with that oven. better read it thoroughly

3. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

A microwave is not good for cooking some things from scratch, chicken won't cook like baked chicken in a microwave. No frying in a microwave either. It is great for heating things up, making hot water, thawing frozen things. There are dishes you can make in the microwave but the process is different from cooking in the oven. You have ceramic or glass casseroles? YOu will need these to cook in the microwave. No metal, you know?

YOu can make paneer in the microwave, see how

It's easy! Other quick things that can help you while you learn to use your microwave - you can cook potatoes in the microwave faster than on the stove. I peel and put them in a glass bowl loosely covered with a plate. All potatoes should be about the same size or cut into large chunks about equal size. Takes 3 mins up depending on how strong your microwave is and how much you put in at once. Also helps if there is a rotating platter in your microwave then you don't have to turn it so much. Then just take potatoes, poke with a fork to make sure they are done, then you can mash them a little or coarsely cut into big chunks for a quick potato fry, just do the popu and spices and onion etc and then add the cooked potatoes and it's all done much quicker than waiting for potatoes to cook in the pan. You can parcook gobi (cauliflower) and other vegs to help make cooking stove top faster, will take some time to experiment and find the right times to just leave them crispy and not mushy, so they don't get too mushy in the curry. Bhindi (ladyfinger) does not cook well in microwave if you don't want it to get gummy. Most other things should be OK.

You can heat up almost any leftover in microwave, except breads, microwaving makes breads, puris, chapattis tough if you are not very careful. To heat naan puri chapatti roti etc, wrap in a clean lint-free towel and reduce the power of your microwave to no more than half (50%) then microwave for the least time to heat it back up. You will have to experiment to find times and what settings will work for your microwave, it will vary from one microwave to another.

To heat up something in the microwave put it in a ceramic or glass bowl or on a plate and loosely cover (you can put a bowl upside down on a plate, or a plate on top of a bowl, to keep it from making spatters) and heat for a minute or two, most things should heat up ok in that time.

Be careful, dishes will get hot in the microwave! Use a pot holder or towel. Some ceramic stuff overheats in the microwave, I had some dishes that got volcano hot - something in the original clay. I threw them away. If you have some like that be careful not to use them in the microwave. Most ceramic dishes should be OK.

Hope that helps you get started.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. MD013

MD013 New IL'ite

Thnaks zensojourner, i have already started cooking in it mainly chicken it takes 20min to cook in it. i tried making murg kalimirch from the recipe booklet. that's ok but am confused how in other recipes they mention preheat oven to some degree & then keep the dish but they don't properly demonstrate the thing like preheat & then, for how long you need to keep it & whether to change the function & all. even for cake it's v. confusing. some other tabs are present in it like express cooking & the manual is good for nothing i tried reading & was unable to perform some task & am still using mostly gas stove.although i have heard it's easy preparation & it consumes less oil..

5. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

OK I see, I think. You don't have a microwave oven; you have one of those combination microwave AND convection AND conventional ovens.

Those fell out of favor here a couple decades ago. They still make some but people generally don't use them much here. So I'm afraid I outspoke myself - I can't help, unless you need to know just microwave functions.

I will say the problem with them here is probably the same thing you are describing - they're kind of too small to function well as a convection or conventional oven and things don't cook as well in them as a full-size oven.

Sorry, I misunderstood. But you should still be able to use it just like any other microwave for reheating and cooking things like paneer. And you should also be able to use it as a regular oven, with a little practice and experimentation. Sorry!

Paneer is easy in the microwave though - take 2 L milk, put in 4 L size glass bowl, microwave for a couple of minutes at a time until it reaches between 160F and 165F, then stir in 2 Tablespoons curd (with live culture), it should separate out, if not add 1T lemon or lime juice at a time until it does, hang, squeeze, press, enjoy!

6. MD013

MD013 New IL'ite

Conventional i didn't got you... The Model No. is IFB 25SC3 it's a 25 litre microwave & the company people said sufficient for 4 member family. it has the function of grill, convection & solo..that's all i know..

7. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Conventional ovens are the ones without Convection...just used for heating, thawing etc