1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Meal schedule for a 6 month old

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by karanu, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, when you say 6 months, do you mean after they complete 5 months and start 6th month or when they complete 6 months? My LO just completed 4 months and I am wondering if she is ready for rice cereal. As of now she is in exclusively milk.

2. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

Hi rakhii,
    Ideally on completion of 6months and start of 7th month we can introduce solids. I started when my LO was around 5.5 months with once a day solid food (rice cereal or fruit purée or veg purée). You have to wait for 3-4 days with a new food introduction.
    For your baby you can wait for at least one more month.

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@rakhii upon completion of 6th month is when you say LO is 6 months old. If LO has proper weight gain and is taking formula/BM regularly, then you can wait at least a month more before starting rice cereal.

4. Jaikrish

Jaikrish Senior IL'ite

Thank You Ramyaramani. My daughter is not that very keen on having water. so I was advised to add some sugar which I was not very ken, so just to confirm asked it here :) Thank you once again

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Ramya and Ilovmom. I will wait for sure but my mom was telling me that my nephew tarted with a spoon of cereals in milk at 3. So was wondering the same.

I have one more question; even the mixing of cereal in milk (kinda tsp+50ml) milk also I should wait for 6 months is it?

I have her 4th month app with the doc today. Is there anything specific to ask? Please advise me if you are aware! Thanks ladies.

6. ramyaramani

@rakhii when to start solids is ultimately a personal choice. I waited till LO completed 6 months to give 1tbp rice cereal + milk combo.

You can check with paed about starting solids. If vitamins are not already prescribed, then ask about the same.

7. stayinusa

stayinusa New IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,

My son too turned 4 month on 1st April. So his 4month checkup was usual round of height/weight check n vaccination. They will normally tell you to continue with BM/Formula..My son is exclusive on BM..so we should keep doing same till the completion of 6 months and then they will ask to introduce solids. I started going to work, so i discussed the baby's sleeping schedule and the intake of expressed breast milk when i am away..best of luck with your appoint...Take care

stayinusa

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  8. IlovemyMom

IlovemyMom Gold IL'ite

It's better to wait for one more month at least. Consult your paed too.

9. ramyaramani

@rakhi forgot to mention. My paed wanted me to start solids as soon as LO completed 4 months. She is a Tamil desi doctor.

10. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

in india, they advice us to start solid after 4 months. in us, they wait till 6 months. it depends on the weight gain of the baby. if you feel that your baby is wanting a change of flavour you can try starting with fruits or pureed veggies. i started with cereals for my kid. rice/ragi is also good started food. just check for allergies by giving very little. moong dal, i wouldnt recommend since it is a major cause of gas even in older ppl. try soups with very little salt. i think if they are chewing they are ready for finger foods. it promotes teething as well.