1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I don't understand what i have to do?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rishitha, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Rishitha

Rishitha Bronze IL'ite

I have 7 yrs old boy.he is currently in 2nd grade recently he was given more work from school because of his progress in English and math they are giving third grade work.ln addition to that he has to do kumon works(English and math).He didn't start his work early.he is reading or playing with his sister.He starts late and ends very late and while he is doing his homework he didn't concentrate on it.He is playing with toys .with the baby i couldn't able to sit with him. I am giving sometime to play and watch tv .
    Now a days Iam shouting at him to finish his works early so that we can spend some time together.I personally don't feel good about this shouting he didn't finish his homework until i shout .He didn't go to sleep early also.I tried to teach him slowly .He listened that to for 2 days
    After that the same story. Please help me.Its bothering me alot.

2. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

When they have younger sibling ,this is very common.And I do face similar situation.The elder one thinks that ,he is working hard and while younger one doesn't have anything.One parent should be with him to finish the work.Is your husband available to do that?He needs to sit with his dad or you to finish the work.
    I know it's bothers you but you need to plan thing with your husband.Another thing could be walk him up early before go to school and finish some work and that way he will fell in sleep by himself.
    Think about different scenarios and see which works your family.

3. Rishitha

Rishitha Bronze IL'ite

My Husband comes late from the office around 7pm.In the weekends he will takecare of him.The problem is in the week days.He don't want to listen to me.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

He is doing well for his age and you are doing good as a mom. You know it is a little more work for him for his age and he is still not yet ready to understand the responsibility. I know with a baby and all, it is difficult for you to be constantly gentle, nudging him to do his work. But what else can you do really. It is a phase for him and will continue for some more time. So I would like to say that come up with a plan say...as soon as he gets home from school, either home work or kumon for 20mins and remember to get it done. Most of us go through this till our kids are a little more older, so don't beat your self up and don't expect your son to grow up over night as well. Take one day at time and see what works and try to keep that up.

Best wishes....enjoy...both of them.

5. Tamanna12

Tamanna12 New IL'ite

Hi all, my son 5 yrs 6 months he was born in US he was there 3 yrs he had speech delay we went speech therapist he is okay now .his problem he is not interested in studies at all he did pre kg,lkg ukg half in India. In India he not interest in studies I beg to write he won,t write he some what write number not alphabet.he is not all showing interest in studies he won't concentrate also.now we came to US he is going to public school in k here same issue I don't know what whether I have to go to child psychologist or kumon class ,extra tutor I don't what know what to do Iam crying daily came on help me ladies

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Tamanna, take a deep breath. Now, what have you heard from the school? Have they shown any concerns? Did the speech therapist clear that he does not need services anymore? nothing wrong seeking help - so sit down talk with your husband, ask all your questions in the parent teacher meeting, listen to the teacher keenly and find out her opinion. All said and done, not every child will be working hard and studying at KG level - you can slowly work with him and get him interested in learning. All the change of shifting back and forth would also be a reason - as much as we think it is easy, for kids culturally and language wise it would be so different. So be patient, don't cry work with with through the summer. If you think private one on one would help, try that too. Best wishes!

7. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

What you can do,you can create a calender for him.Like 30min work and break.Sit with him and make a schedule after he comes back to home.
    See he can strict to the schedule.give him some points,and if he earns 50points,tell him that you would do something of his interest.
    I am not sure how old is your younger one though.