Atheism as Religion....

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Nettem, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.

3.jpg

7.jpg

Although the term atheism originated in 16th-century France,ideas that would be recognized today as atheistic are documented from the Vedic period and the classical antiquity.Atheistic schools are found in early Indian thought and have existed from the times of the historical Vedic religion. Among the six orthodox schools of Hindu philosophy; Samkhya, the oldest philosophical system do not accept God and the early Mimamsa also rejected the notion of God. The early Mimamsa not only did not accept God but asserted that human action itself was enough to create the necessary circumstances for the enjoyment of its fruits

No_God.jpg

The following definition of atheism was given to the Supreme Court of the United States in the case of Murray v. Curlett, 374 U.S. 203, 83 S. Ct. 1560, 10 L.Ed.2d (MD, 1963), to remove reverential Bible reading and oral unison recitation of the Lord's Prayer in the public schools:

Your petitioners are atheists and they define their beliefs as follows. An atheist loves his fellow man instead of god. An atheist believes that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth for all men together to enjoy.

An atheist believes that he can get no help through prayer but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it, and enjoy it.

An atheist believes that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment.

He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated. He wants man to understand and love man.

He wants an ethical way of life. He believes that we cannot rely on a god or channel action into prayer nor hope for an end of troubles in a hereafter.

He believes that we are our brother's keepers and are keepers of our own lives; that we are responsible persons and the job is here and the time is now.”

4.jpg

Check this links below for complete details reg Atheism

1. American Atheists | Welcome Free Thinkers
    2. Atheism
    3. The British Humanist Association
    4. www.simpleguidetohumanism.org.uk
    5. New York City Atheists
    6. Atheist Soup
    7. Boulder Atheists - Home Page
    8. Atheist Alliance International - Welcome!
    9. Redirecting to blog...
    10. The Freethought Society
    11. The Atheist Missionary
    12. Think Atheist

In India

1. Nirmukta
    2. Atheist Nexus - The World’s Largest Coalition of Nontheists and Nontheist Communities!
    3. Indian Atheists
    4. rationalthoughts.org
    5. Positive Atheism (since 1995) Join the Struggle Against Anti-Atheist Bigotry!

List of well known atheists

1. 101 Famous Atheists
    2. List of atheists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    3. Famous Atheists - Atheist Quotes

COCORE_imaginary2012_sm.jpg

If U have time, plz do visit all other threads & posts of mine.They are lot more informative. I am sure u like them & let me know ur comments.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/members/nettem-65845.html

Note : No disrespect intended towards any religion,belief or theists.

3 people like this.

2. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

3. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

4. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

5. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

6. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

7. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

bus-poster1.JPG

SusanBAnthony1.JPG

LetGoOfGod1.JPG

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

8. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

Lot of what you have said makes sense. I have some friends who are atheist and I have to say they're very nice people... very helpful to others... don't have any racist bone in their body... treats everyone equally, etc.

I was having doubts about God now I'm leaning more towards atheism.

9. sherapova

sherapova New IL'ite

Good. Gives a detailed idea about Atheism.

If i am not wrong in India too there is a very active Association for Atheists with the name " Nirmukta" . Occasionally they will be meeting in all major cities of india.

http://nirmukta.com/

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  10. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

I go more towards spirituality, that a redeeming force created this Universe .... That force I refer to as God.

Religion, on the other hand has been misused in order to control people ..... But religion was meant to be for groups of family and friends to come together and get more spiritually awakened .... We all didn't appear suddenly, some life force put us here ......

And to truly honor that life force that created us, we should strive to be nicer to each other at every moment ....