1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on diet for Thyroid and PCOS

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by chandravathi701, Jan 27, 2011.

1. chandravathi701

chandravathi701 Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I was diagnosed to have Thyroid and PCOS (Poly Cyst Ovarian Syndrome) when I approached my doctor on having irregular menstrual cycle and when I wasnt able to conceive. Doctor has given me Thyroid pills and other pills to regularise my cycle. I am bit stressed because of taking too much of medicines due to side effects and would be better to take food as medicine to cure this. Could you help me with some natural ways/ diet to improve my situation and regularise my cycle ?

Thank you..

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

2. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

For regular period: have hisbiscus flower tea or powder thrice a day.

For PCOS: have a cup of coriander chutney daily.
    for thyroid: have a tablespoon of coconut oil in empty stomach

In course of time you will feel difference.

Gae3 likes this.
  3. chandravathi701

chandravathi701 Senior IL'ite

Thank you very much Dolly.. Was stressed so much because of this problem .

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

For pcos, you need to reduce carbs in your diet and increase protein intake. So less rice, chappatis, pototoes etc and more eggs, meat (if you eat non veg), soya etc. And 1/2 hour of daily excercise is a must.

For regularizing your cycle this is the best trick - soak a tablespoon of methi seeds overnight in a glass of water and drink the water the next morning. Resoak seeds and continue drinking the methi water. You can use the same seeds for 2 days then start on a new batch. This reduced my cycle from 45+ days to 35 days.

Good luck!

5. Kodavati

Kodavati Senior IL'ite

Hi Dolly,

Does having cocunut oil on empty stomach really help thyroid people loose weight? I am a hypothyroid and i am desperate to loose weight. Please do let me know soon.

6. Anoo1234

Anoo1234 Bronze IL'ite

Hai kodavati,

I have known people who tried this coconut oil ........ it does not help in weight loss. But every human body is different so try your luck :)

7. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Soya is bad for thyroid.
    Please do lot of research on what to eat and what not before starting anything.
    For weight loss with PCOS or thyroid, you need to eat everything in moderate and excercise.

8. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

I too have thyroid problem. And I was adviced not to take soya. If the OP has thyroid she should avoid soya, (or confirm it with her doctor before taking it) Because soya though very good in protein is not good for thyroid patients. It intrudes in the functioning of thyroid in thyroid patients. It can suppress thyroid gland from producing required tsh. Thats what I was told. So OP should find other source for protein.

9. blessedgirl

blessedgirl Bronze IL'ite

I too have Thyroid and PCOD.. We are trying for a baby for last 3.5 yrs... My weight is not reducing...my height is 168cm and weigh is 69.5 now...And have irregular periods too...

Can Anyone suggest a balanced diet for PCOD and Thyroid??

10. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

exercise ,vegetable,rice(brown) preferably,Amla(green,fruits all variety,nuts and dates will cure all health issues.Its simple but people complicate.

Patience and hardwork and determination and NO Junk food craving is the key for attaining weight loss