Maternity Clothes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by LifeIsWhew, Feb 9, 2011.

1. LifeIsWhew

LifeIsWhew New IL'ite

At what month do you buy maternity clothes? I am just through my first trimester but my clothes are already started to get a little uncomfortable. mostly wear jeans and pants. The tops are alright but the jeans dont fit anymore. I dont want to buy maternity clothes this soon cos I am sure I will out on a lot of weight in the future months. I have not gained much now just bloated a bit around the stomach.

Also should I buy my normal regular clothes now cos I am not sure if I will regain my original weight after delivery. I am really slim and petite. I doubt if I will be that after delivery at least for the initial few years so dont want to waste my clothes. As it is I feel my existing clothes are going to go waste as everything fits me perfectly now.

Also I am planning to make a trip to Mumbai, India. Where can I buy good affordable maternity clothes there.

Any suggestion and advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi LifeisWhew,

For me, I started bloating around 10 weeks and had to pack off my regular jeans. Pants were fitting for sometime.

My doc advised me to wear loose clothing to avoid any abdomen pain or back pain. This is the stage when the hips and uterus expands and makes space , so dont wear anything tight.

I'd say if height is not a problem , then try for next size pants or Elastic Jeans (I know its called grandma pants, but thats very very comfy :thumbsup)

Dont buy a lot, because immediately within 5th month You'll need those maternity pants. So just until then manage with 2 Pants. and if your weather is good, you can opt for skirts too.

3. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi LifeIsWhew,

I changed to maternity jeans and trousers on my 11th week..But I started searching them at 9-10 weeks.I was having severe gas and bloating so that I could not button my regular jeans and pants. I am also small and petite. And its very difficult to get regular clothes for me..you know it being small and petite i guess. Its more difficult when you are pregnant. I spent at least 2 hours in Kohls trying out different maternity pants, next size ones and granny pants. All I got is terrible back pain. I hate trying out pants during this time. I felt I am never going to get my size maternity clothes here.
    Next I headed to Motherhood maternity, trust me..I was out within 20 minutes with jeans and trousers of my size..They have xs/petite and s/petite size..They are so comfy to wear. And the lady in the store(its a small store) helped me to find out the exact size pants for me. They are bit expensive..But worth it, considering the difficulty of getting right size for you.
    You can buy a pair of maternity jeans or trousers(with your prepregnancy size) now itself. Their elastic bands are stretchable to accommodate your growing tummy.

Or you can try this for using your regular jeans some more time
    http://www.motherhood.com/Shop_MotherhoodMaternity/Tummy_Sleeve.asp
    But i think maternity jeans/pants are more comfortable

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  4. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

I bought mine at 12 weeks from Gap & motherhood the products were great.

IN mumbai you can buy from Mothercare (Shopperstop) & mom n me store.. mom n me carries Motherhood maternity clothes from usa..

I must tell u that the clothes in US are MUCH MUCH cheaper .. so better to buy over there.

I was in USA & am now in India so thats y i know..
    & also please only buy maternity clothes (make u look pretty & it fits well in all areas and is loose around waste & not regular clothes in big size (this will make u look fat). & when u buy maternity clothes buy it in your current size. they are made in a way that they expand so you dont need to buy big size one.

I bought all my maternity clothes in 4th month & I fit into them till the end (only last week of pregnancy i thought the tops were getting tight .. i was already one week past due date & my belly was HUGE !!) I bought size small clothes.. I am also thin & petit & I went back to my old jeans by 7 weeks after birth..

5. victori

victori New IL'ite

Thanks for sharing this nice link. I found beautiful clothes there specially maternity tops.