1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

True Independence for women

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by psych, Nov 1, 2011.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Psych ...how independent a girl turns out to be is a big reflection of how her parents raised her.
    The values of self worth and fearlessness need to be taught young .

@beerbal

An independent woman should not look for validation or acceptance from other women.

Interesting that u say women and not others. Any specific reason ?

1 person likes this.
  2. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

I very much think that is the reason, inspite of having the right tools to be independent, women still dont do it.

3. Preet82

Preet82 Silver IL'ite

A woman is truly independent when she can take decisions about her life and choose what she wants to do without being burdened by what her family/society/others think.

4. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

i agree! but wud like to add that she wouldnt look for validation from any third person( man or woman). she wud take it in her stride and see it as something routine and mundane and not something which she should be complimented for. would you compliment a man for being independent? if not,why not? it should be the same with women as well. why the tag 'independent woman'?? have you ever heard of the term 'independent men'?

and why the attitude that women are not meant to be independent. if you are , then, you are a class apart and deserve praise.

i mean, when you speak about equality of the sexes , why seek any special favours and prove them right that you are indeed weaker and need all the validation and sympathies that you can garner.

1 person likes this.
  5. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

thanks amniroop and preet82.

6. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Financial Independance + physical Independance + EMOTIONAL INDEPENDACE = Independat women who doesn't need anybody to make her happy.

1 person likes this.
  7. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

I am not sure if I've interpreted the topic correctly, let me know if I haven't.

I don't think anyone can be truly independent. All of us (males & females) have some form of constraints. When we live with someone there is always some compromise that needs to be made for the sake of kids, peaceful coexistence, etc. As long as these compromises are not one sided, doesn't clash with our principles & is reasonably balanced then I would say we are independent. If these are not the case then we do need to stand up for our rights.

2 people like this.
  8. YingYang

YingYang Senior IL'ite

Hi psych,
    This is an excellent topic of discussion... And i my self am thinking on it for a long time. I think if a woman wants to have the true sense of Independence then she should acquire these four basic aspects of independence.

*Financial independence
    *Emotional independence
    *Physiological independence
    * Independence Of thoughts and acts

1 person likes this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

True Sally we all work /live under some form of constraints......and I am wondering as well about scope of the thread..is it "what is the definition of an independent woman" or "what do we do to get there?" or both?

10. manu2345

manu2345 Junior IL'ite

good one.
    I think , girls parents are to be blamed here. Suppose, a boy doesnot do well in studies , what does he do? does his parents ask him to go out of house? no. never. They try hard , give him different course, or buy a shop for him , anything . but they make him able to earn money and after that also , they find a girl for him and live together. Now ...... When a girl doesnot do well in studies, her parents get her married.Why?
    Instead of spending lakhs of rupees on wedding , and when they know she will or wont be happy, why do they make hurry? in india, today also you can get a 1 room kitchen or 1 bedroom flat in any city in10-12 lakhs. Then why girls parents dont buy a flat in her name and make her independent. Also marriage should be only register marriage. many things have to be changed in society.

1 person likes this.