1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Extra

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ILoveTulips, Sep 4, 2011.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji ma...

Thanks a lot for your lovely words. Yes I too was overwhelmed by the nominations... I am very happy ... :bananaat last being an 'Extra' paid out....

Dont worry about the facebook account ma.. it may not happen... :)

ilt

2. prss

prss Gold IL'ite

Loved this post ILT!
    I have been an extra several times in life and I've found a kindred soul in you!

1 person likes this.
  3. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear prss,

Thanks a lot for your comments... yes me too... i have been an extra several times.. some incidents make me laugh like the dance program, some makes me so mad on myself, like the chocolate cake incident... anyway at the end of the day... laugh it away... :)

ilt

4. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

When I saw the thread name in the index, i was thinking of the extras (supporting actors) dressed in white surrounding the hero and heroines in Bharathi raja films. :rotfl

Also it reminds me the movie made by Balachandar on the life of the supporting actors decades back.

Though it is a post ("extra role") which needs an attention [​IMG], the way you have put it...i could not control my laugh. Nicely you have brought the role to the limelight. I was also once put into a situation like you in the office and I felt the same way, staring at the system! :bonk

:clapA very good post. Congratulations for getting nominated and best wishes.:thumbsup

Regarding facebook, just don't allow any application to access your profile. Change to secure browsing mode https:// (you may not be able to access any applications in this mode) and see whether it helps.

5. devapriya

devapriya IL Hall of Fame

ILT,

Sorry pa...i missed reading it! :bowdown

நம்மை நோக்கி மற்றவரின் பார்வையைத் திருப்ப வைக்க நாம் எத்தனை பாடுபட வேண்டும்? அதுவும் எங்கோ ஒரு மூலையில் இருக்கும் நம்மிடம் அவர்கள் பார்வை வரவே வராது!

சிறு வயதில் இருந்தே எனக்கு "Group" என்ற வார்த்தை அலர்ஜி தான்.எங்கள் பள்ளியில் நடன நிகழ்ச்சிகள் ஒவ்வொரு விழாவுக்கும் பிரமாண்டமாய் இருக்கும்.நான் கொஞ்சமே கொஞ்சம் நிறமாய் இருப்பேன்....அத்தோடு நான் தான் முதல் மதிப்பெண் வாங்குவேன் வகுப்பில்! அதனால் தானோ என்னவோ மற்றவரைக் காட்டிலும் எனக்கு ஒரு தனி மதிப்பு இருக்கும். ஆனால் அது எனக்கு வெறுப்பாக தான் இருக்கும். நிறமாய் இருப்பதால் எனக்கு தான் நாயகியின் இடம் கிடைக்கும் நடனத்தில்....என் தோழிகளுக்கு "Group dancers" ஆட்டம். அதுவும் ஏதாவது பணிப்பெண் வேடம் என்றால் தேர்ந்தெடுத்து கருப்பாக இருக்கும் மாணவிகளைத் தான் போடுவர். அது ஏன் என்று எனக்கு இன்னும் புரிந்த பாடில்லை.என்னோடு சேர்ந்து ஒன்றாக இருக்கும் தோழிகள் மேடையில் மட்டும் என்னவோ என்னுடைய அடிமைகள் போல ஒதுங்கி ஒதுங்கி நிற்பார்கள்.விவரம் தெரிந்த பின்பு "Group Dance" என்றால் இதற்காகவே நான் போக மாட்டேன். அது என்னவோ மற்றவரின் தோல்வியில் எனக்கு கிடைத்த வெற்றி போல இருக்கும்.

எல்லாருக்குமே சம பங்கும் மதிப்பும் கொடுக்கும் வகையில் இருந்தால் எத்தனை பேர் இருந்தாலும் கவலையில்லை. ஆனால் இப்போதெல்லாம் பள்ளியில் கொஞ்சம் மாற்றம் வந்துள்ளது என்றே நினைக்கிறேன்!

தோழிகள் எல்லாரும் பேசிக்கொண்டே நடக்கும் போது, அழகான பெண்ணிடம் வந்து கடலைப் போடும் பசங்க, கருப்பாக இருக்கும் பெண்களை கண்டுக்கொள்ளாத போது கூட, அந்த இடத்தில் அந்த பெண்ணுக்கு நாம் "தேவையில்லாத துணையோ" இங்கு என்றே ஐயம் உண்டாகும். தனக்கில்லாத நிறத்தைப் பற்றி தோழிகள் விவாதிக்கும் போது, தன் நிறத்தையோ உயரத்தையோ கமெண்ட் பண்ணும் போது.....இப்படி எத்தனை எத்தனையோ....

பொதுவாக ஆண்களை விட பெண்களுக்கு தான் இந்த வருத்தம் கொஞ்சம் அதிகமாக இருக்கும். பொது இடத்தில் கண்டிப்பாக நான் கடைப்பிடிக்கும் பழக்கம் இது..."நாம் இங்கு "Extra"வோ என்று யாரையும் ஃபீல் பண்ண நான் விட மாட்டேன் எப்போதும்."

சுருக்கமாய் சொல்ல வந்தேன்..என்னையும் அறியாமல் நீளமாய் எழுதிவிட்டேன். ஆனால் ஏதோ ஒரு நல்ல பயனுள்ளதை பகிர்ந்து கொண்ட உணர்வு எனக்கு!
    நன்றி ILT!:)

6. Jaishree123

Jaishree123 Senior IL'ite

Hi Tulip Lover

Excellent Write-up!.. I was laughing continuously thorough out..very true about your office experience..it always happens. when everybody is watching things decide not to work and throw errors like water ..really true..I have experienced this.

Good one about smilieys..I better start using lot of smileys
    Jaishree

1 person likes this.
  7. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Nice take on 'Extras' ILT. Loved your sense of humor. I loved being an 'Extra' in certain situations. Being a hardcore anti sports person(love to watch, hate to play), I have happily nodded to being an 'Extra' or 'Substitute' (no one else available) in Volley ball or throw ball matches for I know for sure my turn might never come :) So, extras always need not be extraordinarily talented or anything, they can just be extras, undisturbed :)

8. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Ilt, you got to be my long lost twin sister! I seriously need to do a DNA test for both of us...like NOW! Oh God, I can't believe the similarities we share in our lives.

You didn't have to tell me about being the "extra" in your friend's love life- I hear you gal! I was so there myself! And the dance competition was hilarious! Same pinch here too. You know, when I was 12 yrs old, I participated in a school drama. Like all parents, my parents too were so eager to watch their daughter’s debut in stage dramas. They even came early to book the best seats so that they can get a nice view of my performance.

The drama started and I made my “grand” entry in one particular fight scene. I was styled with the cowboy hat, big boots and a “gun”. My parents thought I am playing the “warrior heroine” and started screaming “Yeay! Yeay! Heroine! Heroine!” Alas, I was nothing but an “extra” villain. The drama coach didn’t have enough boys to play the villains so decided to dress me up as one. But the beauty about this is that people hardly notice the “extra” (except if the people are your parents, of course) so you can do anything on stage without being reprimanded.

And so, the moment we extras come in, the hero was suppose to shoot and kill us. And knowing how small (I used to be small once upon a time!) and vulnerable I looked, the hero thought that I would be the easiest to be finished off. So he gunned me down. But like I said, I’m an “extra” you see. Obviously I wanted some “extra” time. Plus, I was furious at the hero for killing me off first. So despite being shot at, I got up again and shot him. He shot back-I went down-I got up again-I shot him. And I kept doing the same thing until I was the last villain standing. This time I had no choice but to take the bullet and “sacrifice” my life.

Needless to say, the hero was furious that I “spoilt” the show for him. But my parents were beaming. “Wow, you were so good! You managed to get up even after he shot at you several times!” So who cares I was an extra. To my parents, I was the warrior heroine! :banana

9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am sure your post brought back childhood memories for many of us. I remember how I was moved from the role of heroine to a tree and then finally to a bush. Moved to the last bit of extra's I guess. But the extras are mostly the first to come and last to go. Without extras it is never complete. So I guess we are important.

Loved the way you started the post. :)