1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Baby Products--your advise needed

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Rakhii, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear ladies, I am here with a small question. I hope you will all share your views on this.

I am expecting my first baby in early December. Last month my parents performed my seemantham/ godh bharayi/baby shower. I received soooo many gifts. While I am truly moved by all the thoughtful gifts I am unsure as to how to use them.

I mean, I received lots of gohnson's baby products and quite a few Aveeno baby products as well. Now, in the beginning I was planning on using only gohnson's baby products but this would mean all the Aveeno would go waste.

The question is, can I use Aveeno for the first 2 months, finish those products and then shift to gohnson's baby products? Is it advisable to do that or should I just stick with one baby product? Same thing with diapers as well; received a bunch of Huggies and a bunch of pampers.

Please advise me. Thanks ladies!

2. Kalpanadr

Kalpanadr New IL'ite

share with poor people. so much not required for you and baby also not too every day use and use only few drops. if u keep it'll get expiry.

3. Rakhii

Kalpana, thank you for your suggestion; if i cannot use them, i was intending to donate to goodwill anyway. But if i can use it, i would like to use them myself. This is the reason I am asking. I am not worried about the shelf life of the products as they have over 3 years from today.

4. Rakhii

No advises ladies :hide:?

5. Brinda1

Brinda1 Bronze IL'ite

Rakhi, congrats on the pregnancy. It really does not matter which products you use or how often you change them as long as they all suit your baby's skin. Johnsons is known to be very drying, so if the baby has dry skin, it might not be possible to use them until he/she is 8 months old(after which most baby's outgrow the dry skin).

6. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

aveeno products are better than johnsons.. use that first..

7. Rakhii

Brinda and Devika...thank you so much. I will start with Aveeno then. Since its a winter baby, I am fairly sure her skin would be dry. At least until summer I can use Aveeno and the shift to johnsons.

8. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,
    I guess as long as the product suits your baby skin, there should not be any problem in changing it. I have changed between Johnson/himalaya /Pigeon...they suit my child's skin..All the best, happy motherhood!

9. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Rakhii,

Based on my exp , I'd say for the initial 3 months of the baby just use 1 drop of body wash and stick with plain water.
    babies dont need to bathe daily like elders.. my Paed advised on bathing alternate days.

Aveeno is safe, so stick with that initially . Start J&J slowly after 8 or 10 months.
    Even then if you feel your baby is not liking it , then you may as well use them after 2 yrs or use it for yourself.. :)

Similarly for diapers, if its a girl baby I'd say be extra careful with diaper changes.
    Huggies does not keep it dry, so babies tend to cry and let us know that its wet.
    Pampers generally keeps it dry , so you have to watch and change it regularly.

Due to this variation in dryness factor, change of diapers have to be with caution. If you are careless or miss out on changing diapers then it may cause some rashes.

10. Rakhii

Thanks Shobna!

Ranchu, how are you dear? Yes, i have decided to start with Aveeno. Since its going to be a winter baby anyway, i am sure my doc would also advise me to bathe the baby once in couple of days. I am taking child birth classes come Oct, so I am hoping they will teach me how to change a diaper. I am also looking at youtube for the same :)
    Pampers it is then!

Hope all is going well with you.