1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spoiled my mood on Ganesh Chaturthi!!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by gujulady, Sep 2, 2011.

1. gujulady

gujulady Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I'm back after long time. My FIL is here from past few weeks and will be here for 6 months.
    To give short background: I'm married for 11 yrs with 2 kids (myself working). I do not have MIL, have 2 sils and one Bil. My FIL is 78 yrs old.
    I did not get along with my FIL and SILs for last 10 years and there were constant fights between me and them due to my FIL's politics.
    After join IL forum and reading lots of posts from other members, threads from senior citizens forum, I thought I should change my attitude and try to be friendly with my FIL.From last one year, I worked on building good relationship with my fil and sils. I also requested my FIL to come and live with us. I was able to build good rapport with my elder sil. She realized her dad's nature and his habit of gossiping, backbiting and she is quite nice to me.
    Since the day he arrived, life has become hectic for me in matters of cooking, way of talking to him, kids behavior towards him. I tried to keep him comfortable as much as possible by giving him separate room for himself, freedom to watch tv.....

He has eating disorder where he vomits what ever he eats. He is having this problem from many years. We had him checked with the best doctors in India and everybody said he has a very healthy stomach and no problems of bp, cholestral. They suspected that he might be having psychological problem.
    Even after coming here, he complained of severe vomiting, I took him to hospital, got his blood test, still the results are same. Basically, he is physically healthy and capable of digesting all foods.
    Now my problem is he keeps vomiting what ever he eats and I have to be in kitchen all time cooking food for him. It would be like 5-7 meals a day.
    Second thing is he is very much fond of foods like maggi, white bread, lots of ghees, dried thin poha, rice crispies, potato fries which has very little nutrition. I have been battling with him on these issues since his arrival. My 2 kids watch me and keep asking me why I'm giving white bread to grandpa and wheat/whole grain bread to them. I have to answer my kids too and they also demand similar foods like their grandpa. I have offered lots healthy choices for him like soyamilk, Ensure,wheat bread, wheat pasta, fruits. You name any healthy food, you will find it in my home.
    Yet he complains to his relatives that I'm not taking good care of him and I'm feeding only bread to him and nothing else. He even complained to my husband that I have made him starve for whole day.
    Another thing is his negative attitude. I think he has huge negative energy built up inside him. I cannot talk freely or give my opinion. Any opinion I give (if it's against his opinion) he will assume I'm insulting him. The other day my FIL was blaming Goddess Lakshmi. He was saying she will make some people (whom ever she wish) rich and some people poor. To which I told him that "god gives opportunity to everyone and it's in our hands to utilize the opportunities. If we are intelligent, we will improve other wise we will not. It's our fate." To this he complained to my dad that I cursed him that it's his fate he is poor.
    He does not seems to be happy about any thing. Everything is negative around him. My kids are little hyperactive (specially my son). According to him, they are monsters. American food is punishment for him, American restrooms are punishment for him.

Today I lost my patience and poured all my anger on my mother. The issue was minor but I had lost patience and was tired of his politics. It was about festivals.
    From last 10 yrs I had been pleading him about festivals that I'm supposed to follow. All he said was NOTHING. WE DON'T FOLLOW ANY FESTIVALS. So I started to follow my parental family's tradition of festivals like Gauri/Ganesh Chaturthi. Recently he said his mom used to follow Varmahalakshmi vratha which my mil and her co-sisters did not continue. So I was glad to hear one festival and decided to follow it. He also told me strictly that I should not follow my parental tradition of festivals like Gauri.
    Yesterday suddenly he said I have to do Gauri vratha too and I have to give blouse peice to all ladies I invite for haldi kumkum. I was not prepared for this and I told him I cannot give blouse piece and more over no body will use it here. I would like to give cash instead. Later he also agreed and said it's a good idea.
    Today morning I called my 2nd sil to wish her for Ganesh Chaturthi. She did not answer my call instead her dh talked to me and said she is gone to her friend's house for haldi kum-kum. I then handed the phone to my FIL and left. He immediately asked for my sil and she answered him. I was totally shocked. I now realize that she is avoiding me. I could not control but over heard their conversation. There was so much negative vibes from my sil and fil about me. My fil complained to her that I strictly told him I will not give blouse piece to anybody. They also discussed that I did Lakshmi vrata very grand because it's from my parental side of festival and I did not do Gauri vratha properly as it's from my husband's family's tradition. My sil also accused me that I'm a miser and selfish person who does not like anybody to come to our house and does not like to give daans to anybody. I was really upset. I'm a kind of person who believes that left hand should not know what right hand gives.
    I was so mad and called my mom and just shouted at her (as I could not shout at my FIL).

All these years I had soft corner for my sil but today I don't feel any positive vibes towards her. I now realize that no matter how perfectly we try to do things, inlaws always find faults.

Sorry Ladies for long post. I just wanted to vent out.......

2. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Gujulady, your Fil is like a replica of my Mil. No, you can't keep them happy whatever you do. I have even stopped trying. Just do the basic things like cooking, laundry etc. and try to keep yourself happy, because they are going to crib no matter how much you do. So, why not do whatever pleases you and let them crib.

My MIL moved with us about 2 years ago and she also likes to eat all fatty, spicy food and I really hate it that my kitchen is so full of the fatty snacks now.

3. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Hi Gujulady

why shout at your poor mom, u could have discussed your problem and your FIL's behavior but not vent your anger on her.
    I feel your FIL is trying to be very nosy, at 78 he should mind his business & try to be more friendly with his grand kids instead of interfering in your affairs.

Don't discuss any thing with him and do your way as how you have been following for the last 10 years.

4. ashmitha1508

ashmitha1508 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Sorry to say this.... You better get rid of your FIL.... why are you spoiling your happiness and kids happiness just for a person who does not understand you!!!!

5. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

wow! How do you get rid of your Ils? Any tips?:)

6. gujulady

gujulady Bronze IL'ite

Hi Monita,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to know about your mil's nature. It's so difficult to handle people with these mentalities.
    I just don't understand what kind of happiness does he get when he talks negative about me. As a parent he should bring all his children and dils closer to each other by preaching good values not backbiting and letting the siblings fight. This will only increase hatred among ourselves.
    Can't he understand that with this kind of negative publicity we will not be able to develop healthy relationship through out our life time?

7. gujulady

gujulady Bronze IL'ite

I felt very bad after screaming at her. Thankfully she had put the phone on speaker and my dad and sis kinda knew that my FIL has screwed up with me and I'm just venting out. My poor mom.... she had no clue why I was shouting... They convinced her that I'm just upset with my FIL. Later I called her when I was calm and explained the whole situation to her.

Blessed, My fil is happiest man on earth as I shouted at my MOM. He does not like me being friendly with my sis and parents.
    I tried to explain him previously in past 10 yrs but burnt my hands very badly..

8. gujulady

gujulady Bronze IL'ite

Ashmitha,

Unfortunately I cannot get rid of my FIL in this LIFETIME.

9. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

yeah please share it with me.....this made me laugh...a real one after long 4 months.

Gujulady, I am gujju too...and i know how things go in gujju families. Your FIL is like my MIL....i used to praise US, she would keep telling how things are better in india. So this time, I point out a few things which r good in india and MIL would say 'india is not like that any more it has changed for bad' so these are people u can never get to agree with u. They can easily lie under their teeth. WHy r u doing things which can come under category of 'aa bail, muje mar" i do not mean to be sarcastic. But i mean really why did u ask your FIL to join you when there was no goo relationship. But that is done so no point in crying over spoiled milk. But u can your SIL away if she does not care about u and think of her a person who does not have any shame. The less number of ILs u have to deal with, better it is. U want to follow fest and all, if they do nto ask u why bother, do

About food, u can start talking in your circle and PIL side of the family. that this is all u keep in the house and try to take best care of FIL, but now u r running out of ideas what additional things u can do and ask for ideas. That way u r conveying u r concerned and shows the current care u have been taking. Take initiative , for example when his side of relative is visiting or talking on phone u first mention about food and all as i said above so ur FIL won;t have a chance to complain and even if he does, he will be proven lier.

For us - women we r reactive and we need to learn to be proactive. Take steps ahead anticipating issue, now u know FIL by now. I know it can be very hurting when truly you are a good DIL and being projected otherwise....it is marketing every where...market ur self , who u r and shut ur FIL up.

Also, he is 78, he will have craving for food u mentioned. And i think it is ok to have it once in a while....
    His throwing up could be allergic, find that out if you already have not...

good luck

10. gujulady

gujulady Bronze IL'ite

It's a good idea. I 'm going to give a video tour of my kitchen to his relatives. what do you think?
    Recently we went for a vacation and my FIL complained to his brothers and their families that we made him walk for miles without giving food and water till evening while we were eating like monsters.
    I have to straighten this out.... by talking to his relatives.
    We asked him if he wants wheelchair, he said he would love to walk (seriously even in this age he walks, travels alone from one city to another in India)and refused to take wheelchair. He wanted soft food and we used to get pasta, spagetti (angel hair )