1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MIL's indiffrence b/w DIL and Daughter

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by harun, Aug 14, 2011.

1. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

For new readers
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/r...142884-mils-irritating-talk-reg-delivery.html

My MIL was filling my DH's mind telling 1 month of post natal care is sufficient.
    Now my SIL has got Ectopic Pregnancy,& had operated with laproscopy to remove.
    The same MIL of mine now telling that my SIL needs atlest a month's care & she got her home(my SIL stays in the same compund -2nd floor,my IL's stay 5th floor).
    After delivery 20-25 days of HELP is sufficient for me and for my SIL 1 month complete rest.
    where is the justification???????????????/
    After delivery i need to take care of myself,new born for 24/7(expect cooking my MIL will not help me much on child care)
    MY 1st son basic neccessities,food etc ....

2. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

We can give you all the ideas and say why your mil is right or wrong. The bottom line is what you and h decide to do is what matters.
    Why are you so stuck on mil wants when you are pregnant. Tell your h what your needs are and back it up with your reasons. I am sure he will agree. Once you have him agree to you rest is easy. Even the mil's brainwashing should not matter to you. Just enjoy your pregnancy. Asap talk to your h.
    Ps. Don't compare yourself to sil or any one else. It will only make you miserable. Everyone has their own battles in the life.

1 person likes this.
  3. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    Just stop worrying abt it.. either u tell ur husband tht u need more rest or ask ur family doctor to tell ur husband..
    if ur mother in law is not ready to take care of ur kid y dont u call ur mother for some time to take care or keep a house maid/ worker to do the daily chores..
    If ur MIL asks y u bought ur mom/maid tell her tht "u only told ur daughter needs ur care and I really dont want to trouble any1 in sweet tone"

4. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

my mil presents things in such a way that she takes of me soooooooooooooo well.acting is so easy right.whereas the real picture is somthing difrent.If i try to make my h understand he feels that his parents can't do that way.i never speak abt my il's to my h.either i ignore or just try to solve by myself.
    But now here situation is diffrent.

5. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

You have a kid already right? Which means your H is not new to this and must have a basic idea of what it is like with a newborn, how much rest is needed etc. You can build on that and tell H that you need more than a month, more so since you have another kid to take care of.

Will you be travelling to India for the delivery or stay in the UAE? If you are going to India, what MIL says does not matter as you can do what you what at mom's place.

sindmani likes this.
  6. bramvi

bramvi Silver IL'ite

Did your SIL loose the baby with that ectophic pregnancy?. then it is very sad ! She does need complete rest physically and also mentally. There is nothing wrong in your MIL wanting to take care of her suffering daughter. All mothers will do that.

sindmani likes this.
  7. Sandybeach

Sandybeach Silver IL'ite

I am sorry to hear that you had to face such a situation Harun, but perhaps you are not right in comparing your situation with your sil's. Many women fight postpartum battles just like you, it's indeed very difficult to take care of a newborn baby and manage everything else around including it elder sibling(s) when you are all sore,hurting and battered from pregnancy,labor and delivery. but you have a baby thats yours for keeps at the end.. You SIL just had an ectopic pregnancy. Can you imagine the physical and mental trauma she might be going through? It is natural your MIL wants to help her all out at such a time. I agree that MILs treat their daughters differently which is really sad but in this case I guess she can be excused

sindmani likes this.
  8. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

Hi bramvi,
    plz don't take me so heratless.
    I am also somebody's daughther.
    For my 1st delivery i was working till 9th month & post delivery my mom was there for only 14 days that includes my hopspital stay.After that my MIL took me to her place telling she will take care of me ,but every moment i had to sufer.strugle becoz she never took care of me and 24/7 i was only taking care of my new born.I was a new mother with sooooo many issues.never she took me to take gynec also.and many..many..emotinal issues also.
    Now its 2nd pregnancy for me.Atlest this time i want to have some peacfull time.But when again she is cretaing soem mess saying 1month(10 days before delivery 20 days after delivery) help is suficent i really feel hurt from inside.

In the mena time my SIL got Ectopic pregnancy ,she stays in the same building of my IL's .my agony is not that my SIL is getting 1 month support.My agony is that "Y my MIL doesn't think about me in the same lines of my SIL"

9. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

You need to stop thinking of why your MIL does not think about you and you start thinking about yourself. Come on you know mothers always favors daughters than DIL so please don't compare yourself with SIL. Her situation is completely different than yours. She had ectopic pregnancy so have a little heart.

You have to either convince your DH about your time to need rest post pregnancy or either stand up to your MIL and tell her flatly that you need more time to rest at your parents place or wherever it will be. What is your husband's stand in all this..why are you focusing on your MIL understanding your situation rather you should talk to your DH and make him understand. All this unnecessary tension can be avoided if your DH has the same understanding as you. So work towards that.

This is the time you need to focus on yourself enjoy your pregnancy. Take care of yourself and please have a talk with your DH and put the matter to rest because clearly you are getting worried and that's not good for your pregnancy.

10. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

Ladies in these 5 yrs of my married life i have always tretaed my MIL in a very good manner ,with true affection and respect.Whether she said Good OR bad ,i had always forgiven & moved forward.Never ever made any sort of comment also to my DH.I had alawys thught that she can never think bad for me ,eleders are always there to think and guide us in good path.
    May be 1st time i am more shattered with her words & action ,which i am unable to control.
    It's is GOOD lesson FOR ME that MIL will be always MIL & one should not expect anything beyond that.
    My expectation towards my MIL has brought me to this worrying stage.