1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What is the right age for kids to explain about puberty and sex???

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by madhupriya24, Jul 3, 2011.

1. madhupriya24

madhupriya24 New IL'ite

Dear friends,
    My daughter is seven years old. She is a very shy child and even feels afraid to talk to new children.I have seen many children moving fast and making friends but my daughter is quite opposite.She is very silent in the class also.How to make her active?And also please suggest me which is the right age to explain her about puberty.

2. Soumedh

Soumedh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Dont worry,your daughter is still very young and growing.
    Enroll her in any of the hobby classes of her interest.This will help her to interact and mingle with other children and make new friends,in school may be she is not opening up.Talk to her teacher to help her to interact and talk in the class.

I think right age to explain body changes and related things is 12years.
    Regards

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    NOW is the right age to talk to your daughter about life facts.when the kids are young its better to start explaining them in small ways so that we & they are comfortable when they are in teens.do not go into too many facts but small explanation is good to start.it does not matter if she is shy as she has to know these facts & sooner the better .with media playing central role in young peoples life its important the get the right facts from parents rather then distorted information from internet or TV.
    pragati

4. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

I agree with Pragati. Nowadays children are exposed to a lot of things on TV everyday. Though young, this gen kids are both smart and curious. So it is better to address and explain things to them in a subtle way.

You can tell her now about puberty, the changes which happen during that time and why. Make sure to explain the changes in their body because i have seen many girls becoming quiet during that time because they are uncomfortable about the changes happening to their body.

Regarding her shy nature, even if she has one or two friends, it is alright. But if she has no friends at all, encourage her to mingle with other kids, bring them home for lunch or snacks.

5. madhupriya24

madhupriya24 New IL'ite

Thank U for all of your suggestions.I am worried when I see my neighbours' daughters who r only 11 to 13 years old talking about love , sex etc. Really a frightening matter.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
  7. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

Thanks shanvy Nice thread links. Even my dd is only 3 now i was eager to know some details which i got through the thread. My son is 8 now he has lots of doubts about his body and his sister's i have somewhat managed to explain and he understood those things. And i have too said him to ask whatever doubts he gets. I feel its better to clarify their doubts ourselves. Apart they may get mis lead through the idiot box and Frnds. How to handle those things?

Regarding sex, i thiink you can just leave it for the time being if you are not comfortable. or you could read a link suggested by tulir..though i feel this is aimed at teenagers.

Regarding this i feel the same.

8. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Manaswi,

As mothers we are always thinking about what our children should know and learn and at what age. But I guess, in this day and age our children learn and hear things from others kids at school predominantly about puberty and sex. so our job takes the backseat. I think it is better to just let your daughter know about puberty before she gets some exaggerated info from some other girls. I spoke to my dd about this and explained things to her in a way that she could understand. we had the discussion when she was nine.
    Regarding sex, i am going to wait till she goes to college..

jothi.

9. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

I've always been open to my daughters about puberty & sex. I did the formal puberty (& a bit about human reproductive system) talk when my kids were around 9 (kids attain puberty very early these days, so it's better to be prepared). I did the formal sex talk with my older daughter when she was around 13 (I was too late because they had already done proper sex-ed at school).

Puberty and sex has never been a taboo topic in our house, if they ask for example 'what is a tampon' I give them a straight answer but the depth of information is based on their age at that time.