1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Experiments With Cooking

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jul 11, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,

You are most welcome to come over for an entire meal, including a soup and a cup of coffee. I promise you, you will not be disappointed. :)

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Another hilarious write up from you Satchi. I was worried about your poor tummy eating all those raw potatoes.

:rotfl

3. satchitananda

:) Pavithra, it gave my digestive system some hard work to do before absorbing those calories. So I guess it was not such a bad idea after all. As they say, one can digest even stone when one is young.

4. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

I loved reading the feedback you gave me dear and had a hearty laugh too !!

5. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Hey Satchi ,

I remember reading your experiments with cooking in one of your initial threads ....was that "laughing at youself for a change ..."

Never mind ...i still enjoyed reading this snippet as well :) ....you have articulated in a very good manner ....

6. satchitananda

7. satchitananda

8. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

Hi Satchi,
    I too belong to your class....I never ever entered kitchen before my marriage I was teased and taunted by my relatives n all for my mother was excellent cook n me not emulating her..(How unfair........)....
    But marriage made me enter kitchen as I dont have PILs we were only two my DH n me n both didnt know cooking......... Your post brought back those days for me :rotfl

9. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Very hilarious piece Satchi. Served the 3 month old soup and still they liked it? It means you should've become an excellent chef in that 3 months and added proper spices to makeover the old soup, OR, your friends were dying to eat a homecooked food...

I have lots of 'torchering' incidents during my initial cooking phase. Once I made mango pickle, it did come out nice, at least to my liking. In the street outside, some neighbor boys (wont be more than 6 years old) were playing. I called one and gave a very little piece of this pickle to taste. He tasted and said, 'Its nice akka'... I was very happy. So in a small plate I put 2 spoons of pickle and asked him to eat. Then craving for more appreciation, I went out and called one other boy. I gave the same size piece to him. This first boy, knowing very well that I can hear him, told the second boy, 'Whatever you do, don't tell "Its Nice".. '. See how intelligent this boy is...

Very recently here in UK, there was a carpenter (English) in our house doing some work. I made him a cup of tea. Apparently they are not used to our way of making tea i.e., Boil the milk with tea powder.. He sipped once and left the tea to cool in window ledge. Then before leaving, by the time the tea had cooled, he gulped the whole cup in one sip and literally ran out of the home, started the car and left. 'No good byes' nothing.

Another day, DH said he needed very spicy briyani in a weekend. So I added extra spice and extra salt to the briyani. When I tasted it was very hot for me, and I am the one used to very hot , spicy foods. Coincidentally our landlord visited us to collect something. As he entered the home he said, 'It smells good'.. Obviously he can smell the spice, but not how much HOT it is.. I was just being polite when I asked him, 'Would you like to join us for lunch?'. He immediately accepted. He and DH were seated in the table in dining room.. I was standing in kitchen not knowing how can I serve this spicy briyani. If I known earlier, I would have made it lighter. But there isn't any time. I heard his happy voice, and knew in a minute he is going to turn pathetic. When I served the briyani he complimented, 'I am very fond of Indian food'. I thought, 'you won't be after this lunch!'.

I sat opposite to him and watched him struggling. I gave him yogurt and sweets... His eyes turned red and he had to keep wiping his running nose. But, bless him, he kept complimenting, 'This is the best briyani I ever had'... I knew his suffering, and kept refilling the glass with water. In an attempt to be polite again, I asked , 'Can I serve some more rice... '.. He threw his hands over the plate and with pity face he looked at me and said, 'No .. no no .... seriously.. NO... I... I... I am full... '...

7 people like this.
  10. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Wow Tulips!! Your experiments are even funnier.. I can totaly understand how westerners feel about Indian food. Our normal cooking itself will be spicy to them and to taste our spicy version!! Oh My GOD! Guess he would've had an upset stomach for days together :)