1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Relocating to California from bangalore - need suggestions

Discussion in 'Indians in Bay Area' started by Mithuma, May 20, 2011.

1. Mithuma

Mithuma New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

We will be relocating to California - Santa clara(for my husband's job) in another 6 - 8 weeks from Bangalore. We have a 4 year old daughter. Since this is going to be my first time travel abroad i have a lot of queries. Leaving all my loved ones at India makes me a lot worried too. Looking forward for all your valuable suggestions.

1. Schooling for my daughter: Came to know from sites that public schools will admit kids only from 5 years of age, and my daughter would be going to private school. There are good schools in Cupertino (both public and private) but the rentals would be more higher than Santa Clara. Is this correct?
    My confusion starts as to where to look for a house? In Santa Clara or Cupertino? What do you suggest? My husband's office will be in Santa Clara.
    Can you suggest good private schools in this area?

2. Things to carry from here:
    Regarding items like mixie and grinder we are getting 110 V mixie here. Is it necessary to carry them from here? Or the ones we get there is better? Pls give ur suggestions.

Read in a site that cotton dresses if put in washer will shrink and wont be able to use at all. Is this true? Bcos being here i only have cotton dresses.

My queries may be silly but im sure you will understand my position as a first timer
    I would also request you to send all your tips, ur experience in shifting,and ur advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Hello,

Welcome to Santa Clara.
    Regarding schools, Cupertino is better than Santa Clara, but the rents are higher. Get a rental place in Santa calra until your daughter turns 5 and then move to Cupertino. Just google and see the Private schools. There are so many Indians here in this neighborhood.

It is better to bring Pressure cooker, palts, frying pan etc. But it will be wise to get bender and grinder here.

You have an opportunity wear sarees, salwars etc. You can bring some of them. Bring all the masala powders.

Yes, Cotton clothes will be shrunk. Get some other type ike wash and wear clothes.

Good luck.
    CL

3. Mithuma

Mithuma New IL'ite

Hi CL,
    Thank u for ur prompt reply.
    Ur suggestions are of great help.

4. sailajavellanki

sailajavellanki New IL'ite

Hi Mithuma,

Just came across this post while searching for a similar query of mine. We r also relocating from Bangalore in August and right now I'm searching for a good apartment. I hope by this time you would have already settled there.
    Can you suggest me few good apartments in Santaclara /Sunnyvale.

Appreciate you reply.

Thanks.

5. Coffeelover

hi Ladies,

Welcome to Bay Area. It is a beautiful place. Search this site for housing and school. My children are grown up, but schools in Cupertino are good. Once you take a place here, you will meet people of your age and will learn about the area. Bring Idli cooker, dosai griddle etc. It will be hard first, then you will get used to it. I am sure you have soem friends and families are here.
    Good luck.
    CL

6. Mithuma

Mithuma New IL'ite

Hi Sailaja,
    We have not yet started from bangalore. Having some delay in Visa processing. Think hopefully we would also reach California by mid August. Have no idea right now. What is ur status? Visa processing is done?

7. shylajamd

shylajamd New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,
    Me too in the similar citivation. Visa processing is not yet over, may be by the end of July 2011. Planning to relocate in the first week of August. My query is about the start date for school admission. My daughter for grade 6 and son for grade 2. I heard they will be in different schools. I have no idea. I wish to find a house in Cupertino.
    Please let me know the about
    1) Start date and end date for admission.
    2) Start date of school
    3) Best School for Indians
    4) Ideal location for the house

Early response would be of great help. Thanks
    Shyaja

8. shylajamd

shylajamd New IL'ite

Hi Mithuna,

How was ur experience while relocating and please let us know how did you go abt the whole process?

Thanks in advance.
    Shyl

9. Coffeelover

I heard that start date is Aug 18, 2011.
    Garden reach school is supposed to be good. I see lots of Indian ladies take their children.
    Search for Cupertino School District in web a nd can get all the information. Every school is good.
    American children also study well and behave well. If you get a chance, try to get an Americna friend. You may learn things or two.

Goo dluck.
    CL

10. shylajamd

shylajamd New IL'ite

Thanks CL,

Its our first school experience outside India, a little worried not being familier with the way things flow. A months time things should be OK as kids take a lesser time to adapt to new environment. Thanks a lot on that information. Take Care