1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

ILs don't care about my pregnancy

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by GoodTeacher, Jun 1, 2011.

1. GoodTeacher

GoodTeacher New IL'ite

Hey Guys.. but I just got to vent. So I am into my 4th month of pregnancy and my ILs, BIL, SIL, Co-sis.. have not called or asked about the pregnancy yet!!! (pardon me.. I'm a bit hormonal) We had caled the entire family over a few months ago to give them the good news.. these were the responses:

"thanks for the good news but we have bad news to share..."
    "wow! we will call you soon"
    "cool.. congrats.. but I'm busy at work"
    "we hope for a son just like you (DH) because we surely do not want a gradnchild like DIL"

We did not call them again to discuss anything, but to just cope with the drama and enjoy the pregnancy. But it gets annoying. When the other DIL was pregnant.. ILs and SIL visited every week.. brought food.. gifts and everything. MIL claims that she does not like her either (which I doubt).

Now my parents are making things more annoying. They keep wanting to be "traditional" and do the right thing. They want me to complete certain rituals involving me taking something to ILs house. I have not visited ILs since last year because they mistreated me bigtime when I went (yelled at me.. accused me of a lot of family issues.. etc..). DH and I don't visit.

I am sure this is all expected but I cannot deal with this right now. I'm irritated and rather just leave everyone out.. but truthfully my family is excited and helpful. I don't want to just leave them out b/c they want to continue some traditions. What can I explain to them? This is stressful?

And as far as ILs and that family.. WHAT THE H*LL??? What is their problem? How do I react to them.. ?

2. priyanka12345

priyanka12345 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

First of all congrats on your pregnancy.
    This is the time when you need to forget all people around you and concentrate on your pregnancy.

If you dont want to follow the traditions on visiting ILs , pls inform your parents clearly about it. they will understand when you explain in detail.

There are Ils who are not so enthu abt the pregnancy. Same is with me. but I have mentioned all this to my parents and they undertstand.This way you wont have to pretend anything before them. You need mental peace and should do anything for that.

Dont think too much and inform your parents what you feel. They will surely be with you .

Take care

3. samraa

samraa Bronze IL'ite

hi good teacher,

hey just sit back and rejoice-enjoy your pregnancy to the ' T '. no interference and nagging from il's ,sil,etc.take care of your health and just be happy.good luck to you.

4. ras09

ras09 New IL'ite

Hey,
    Congrats on your pregnancy...
    i think its time for us to stop thinking about such moron people...
    if they dnt care... you also stopped caring abt them...
    Enjoy your time with your husband.. i know..its easy to say that not to care... but the bad memories and behavior came to haunt us always...
    But its the precious time.... enjoy it..

5. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Congrats on your pregnancy!! Make sure that you enjoy every second of the pregnancy experience. Since you mentioned that your ILs have mistreated you in the past.. why expect them to be excited about the baby news. Be glad that they are not around to make things more stressful.

Dont worry too much about traditions.. do what makes you happy.Concentrate on the special moment and make it a wonderful experience for you and DH. All the best !

6. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I agree that there will be disappointment when people behave that way with us. But communication b/w u has already broken down for the past one year and their behaviour is not entirely unexpected. Their ego would want to make sure that you feel the neglect for not toeing their line or whatever feeling they have. If tomorrow something goes wrong with your cosis , then they may come to you also forgetting all this. See, you are not responsible for their attitude.

You have your parents, friends and well wishers around you. You husband loves you. What more do you want? Ignore their cheap behaviour and enjoy your life without bothering about their antics.

7. arty2010

arty2010 Bronze IL'ite

From my experience, I would say dont expect your in-laws to keep you happy during pregnancy and delivery. Atleast, be happy they are not around to trouble you:rotfl
    They may not turn around as well and get every chance to mistreat inspite of your new status. They may even not be thrilled when you have the baby:bonkbecause in their minds they have resigned you guys from their mind. Now u and the baby inside have become the "family of the estranged son" who did not participate in the DIL abuse. I guess from what you said your dh supports you and understands the problems.
    Also, there will be people like sil and cosis to feed this kind of cheap thouhts:rant
    BE happy no matter what. My suggestion is just dont expect too much from them. Be happy they dont trouble you during the vulnerable stage of your life. Just look at positive. This is from a person who has had the same experience. its your job to keep you happy. you cant expect your enemies to keep you happy. sorry for calling in-laws enemies. just was a figure of speeach:bonk

8. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

Hi GT,
    First of all congratulations on your pregnancy. Don't get tensed that your ils haven't called you or ask about your pregnancy. such kind of stress is not good for you or your baby.
    Even I was in your boat. My ils didn't even call me once during the whole of pregnancy and my mil came to visit me after i delivered while i was in hospital only. maybe she wanted to confirm that i indeed gave birth to her grandson. even then she asked how i was and thats all.
    forget about your in laws and concentrate on your pregnancy. this from an experienced woman :) take care of your health that is more important to you now than your in laws or anybody for that matter.
    Hansika

9. sadwife

sadwife Gold IL'ite

Hi GT,

Congrats on your pregnancy.

I agree with most of them here. Just ignore your in laws and be glad that they are not there to trouble you throughout your pregnancy when this is the time you need a lot of peace of mind. Enjoy the pregnancy with your husband.

We cannot stop others from liking or disliking us.
    It's their right whether or not to like us.
    At the same time we can't make others to feel happy or sad for something that's happening in our life.

Just leave your in laws aside.
    Tell your parents you are not interested with the traditional rituals and ask them not to stress you out with all that. I am sure they will understand. Or tell them you'll do some part of the rituals but you don't have to meet your in laws.

Take care and God bless. :)

10. prajaktac

prajaktac New IL'ite

Good teacher,
    First of all congrats dear on your pregnancy, this much of stress during pregnancy is not good for you and child..eat well, stay happy,read something positive, be cheerful girl,enjoy this time.And about in laws i know it hurts when they behave so Cold,, but why to worry when you have a loving husband :) who is there for you and takes care of you, why bother if inlaws dont ask you about your health and pregnancy,, your parents and DH are enough for you.No need to worry about traditions if you don't feel like.they are sheer formalities.
    Take care