Doha Ladies - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Indians in Doha' started by Induslady, Oct 29, 2006.

1. sandhya_bhoyate

sandhya_bhoyate New IL'ite

HI, Sudha..
    I am sandhya very soon i will be in doha.now i am in india.before coming over there i want to indian friends.my hubby is in doha from last one year.plz give me many more your indian friends email id.so that i will make them friends.
    bye friend.hope you will reply me.
    sandhya

2. sandhya_bhoyate

sandhya_bhoyate New IL'ite

hiii kamath. i am sandhya from india.i am marathi.i will join my husband in doha in dec.but before coming over there i want to make friends so that i will be not feel alone there.if you have more marathi friends plz let me know their email ids so that i will also join you and ur friends there. i am new to indusladies.hope you will reply.
    bye friend and take care.see my profile you will be able to know me more.
    bye
    sandhya

3. bliss 1

bliss 1 New IL'ite

About Me - bliss 1

Hi everybody, this is bliss 1. Sangeetha is my real name.

About Me.....

I hail from Dindigul, Tamilnadu. I was born on 22nd Sep, the first child of my lovely parents - father, a GP and mother, a home maker. We lived together with my grand parents, their siblings and had a very memorable childhood showered with love and care. I believe in " Live And Let Live".

Education......

Did my schooling in Dindigul with lots of friends around and merrying always. Did my BAMS in Ayurveda College,Coimbatore. College days were the best days of my life and I can proudly claim nobody else in my college would have enjoyed better than me !! Did my internship in Chennai and Bangalore.

Life....

My Best Half is Subramanian. He also hails from Dindigul. In fact our families have been friends for the last three generations. Had we already known that we would marry, atleast we could have fallen in love !! I still regret that v dint fall in love before marriage !! He is very loving, caring, understanding and supportive to the core. He is my best friend and both our friends compliment us that v have been the same old selves even after 6 years of marriage.

We have a 5 year old son Ramachandra (so far !!) who is in KG II. He is very talkative, naughty and v enjoy and cherish every moment spent with him.

Career Path.......

Completed my BAMS in 2001. Started my private practice in Dindigul and after marriage in Bangalore. Worked for FRLHT, a research foundation in Bangalore. Then worked as lecturer in Shankara Ayurveda College, Trichy.

In Doha since oct 2005. Unfortunately here Ayurveda is not recognised. Working for a Harward based website online apart from writing articles on Ayurveda, Yoga and Spirituality for some websites and translating an Ayurvedic book into English and Tamil. Taking Yoga classes here in Doha at Qatar Malayalee Samajam since April 2007. Feel bad and sad not able to practice here. Hoping for the best....

Few Things About Me....

I love reading ( almost anything that I could lay my hands on ), psychology, love pondering on anthropology, watching Tom and Jerry.

I believe that what I AM today is purely because of God's grace.

Coming to Doha I have put on 15 Kgs and now desperately trying to reduce with Yoga.

I'm a fun loving, humourous, adaptive and an easy going person with a contagious smile.

I make it a point to follow our tradition to the maximum extent possible without hurting others' ego.

I'm crazy about finger rings and ear rings.

So ILites, thats all about me !!

I'm so happy to join u all.

4. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Sangeetha,

I have too put up so much weight and am more than desperate to reduce, you know what...I too know yoga, but just lazy enough to do it everyday, can you suggest any yogasana that would get rid of that laziness, so I can continue doing yoga regularly ?? :))

By the way, where are you put up in doha ?

Love,
    Preethi

5. lekhasuresh

lekhasuresh New IL'ite

Hi Sangeetha,
    Welcome to the group.I am lekha and have been staying here for the past 1.5 yrs.I have 2 daughters Siddhi 6 and Asmi 1.5yrs.Keep in touch.Belated Happy Diwali.
    It was very interesting to go thru your profile,very well written .

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2007
  6. rekharam

rekharam New IL'ite

Hello Madam

:welcometo the Club..We hope u'll enjoy your stay:)

Cheers
    Rekha

7. fozianaser

fozianaser New IL'ite

Re: About Doha

Hi Preeti,
    You are right about how you have desribed Doha.I have been in Doha for past 30 years.It was more peaceful place earlier than now.The roads had hardly any cars before and now Qatar stands on the first place in records books for most of the accidents but believe me since the new rules have come up and peneltys have been enforced people will drive in a more safe way, specially the youths The people were so friendly not that they arent now but the nationals were more friendlier and caring.Doha is more like a home to me.

This sub-forum is a great inititative to identify IL members nearby our location. I take great pleasure to introduce myself, one more time in this forum.

To know about me in general, you can read about my introduction in Who am I thread. The link is given below :

IndusLadies - View Single Post - Who am I?

Though I am basically from Chennai, I choose to write in the Doha Subforum thread, as I am currently living here for the past 2 years and I am curious to know about anyone in the IL, living closer to my area...As such, am happy that IL has given me global friends, now I am looking out for some local acquaintances. This forum would be an attempt to find one.

I didn't want to reiterate about my self, having already mentioned about me in a seperate thread in this website, instead felt, it would be more appropriate to let you all know about the country am living in. Instead of merely saying, I am living in Doha, if I can share some of the highlights about this country, everyone can get to know what sort of a country this is. It's an attempt to spread word about the culture and life-style of the country which is giving me a livelihood.

Now for few titbits about Doha, in general.......
    • Doha, is the Capital of Qatar, which is situated in the Mid-East. Some of Qatar's neighbouring countries are Dubai, Oman, Bahrain etc...
    • Doha does not have the lifestyle of Dubai, basically its a very calm country and doha does not offer much of sight-seeing. The major attractions in Doha are the Sand-dunes, zoo and couple of major malls and hypermarkets (like City Centre, Lulu, Family Food Centre etc). Any new comers to doha, can easily tour the city in about a day's time. If you're a person found of tourist spot, Qatar is not the right destination.
    • There are no temples in Doha. Only Mosques. I believe the Qatar Government has sanctioned construction of churches and they would be erected soon. However different communities have their groups, which periodically host religious activities (for both hindu's and christians) within closed doors, which anyone can attend.
    • Very recently Doha started its Public Transportation Service. Earlier commutation was a biggest problem for labourers and workers as taxi's were beyone their affordability. Doha has both public and private taxi's. But frequency of taxi are not so high. At times, One has to wait for about 2 hours to get a taxi. (I have had that bitter experience couple of times).
    • Qatar Summer is unbearable, The temperature would go as high as 52 'C. Travelling becomes extremely difficult during summer afternoon, even in the evening, upto 7 or 7:30, you will feel the heat. Winter in Qatar would go as low as 8 degrees. Qatar has extreme climatic coniditions.
    • Land Cruisers, Nissan, Honda are the mostly found vehicles on the road and in the market. Almost everyday you will see freak accidents on the roads. Majorly Land Cruisers are involved in most of the accidents. One can see lots or rash drivers in Qatar.
    • In the last 1-2 years, the house rents have sky-rocketed, due to the major hike in the rents, many expats have sent their families back to their hometown or go for sharing accomidation to withstand the finanicial pressure. It's unbelieveable to see the inflation of house rents. Almost 3-4 years back, many houses were unoccupied and given for rent at very cheap rates.
    • The expats in Qatar have outnumbered the localities in Qatar. Major of the Expats are from Asian Countries - From India/Pakistan/Bangladesh/Nepal; UK; Jordan ; Philipines;Egypt etc.
    • The average pay of a person in Qatar would be ranging from 3500QR to 4000QR (Qatar Currency is called Riyals). 1 Qatar Riyal amounts to 12.99 Indian Rupees (As of 30-Oct).
    • There are lots of reputed Indian Schools for children. For College education,Indian families don't prefer Qatar. Most of the Indian families send their children back to their hometown for college studies.
    • Qatar's revenue comes mostly from the Oil/Gas Industry. There is plentiful availability of Natural Gas in and around Qatar. It is predicted that for the next 500 years, qatar will have surpluous amount of natural gas. Lots of projects (Infrastructure) are in the pipeline and in the span of 10 years Qatar will have the look of Dubai interms of its living and infrastructure.
    • Asian Games 2006 is being hosted in Qatar this December, the Country is getting ready to host the Asian games. The existing roads are broadened, new bridges and flyovers constructed, many housing complex built in order to accomidate the crowd which we are expecting to flow from different parts of the world into Qatar.
    • There is only one big road called the "Corniche" in qatar where you can be huge skyline towers and buildings. On all other roads, the building infrastructures are similiar to the houses and apartments seen in India. You don't find huge and tall builidings elsewhere in Doha, other than the Corniche.
    • Friday and Saturday are Weekend here. The Weekday starts on Sunday and ends by Thursday.
    • During the holy month of Ramadan, the entire country works only upto 6 hours. On other months, the working hours vary from 8 to 10 hours.
    • The Local Newspaper called "Gulf Times" is not available on Friday, as its holiday for its employees and the publications.
    • Women are allowed to Self-drive, without any male accomplice in their Car.
    • Most of the Qatari females are dressed in their traditional burkhas, however, doha is a country of balance mix of tradition and modern culture. The local females are also seen dressed in western outfits like trousers and shirts and pants etc. Ladies are allowed to drive cars on their own too.
    To sum up, Doha is a place enjoyable for those who can enjoy silence and serene atmosphere. Personally, I am enjoying my stay in Doha. Though it doesn't have the lush looks of other western countries or its neighbouring country like Dubai, Doha has its unique lifestyle and which is definitely enjoyable if it's not compared to any other countries.

Afterall, Home is where the heart is, with my home filled with love and happiness in qatar, I cannot find any reasons to dislike my own home and the country, that has given us this sort of a living....

A day or 2 short trip is worth to have a feel of Doha and enjoy its ambience.

For those planning a vacation in December, you can consider Qatar in your agenda, as it has more to offer during the Asian Games !

Love,
    Preethi[/quote]

8. ShaliniPremjith

ShaliniPremjith New IL'ite

Hello dear Doha friends...

I am new to IL and have registered last day with IL. I found the site very informative and interesting

Thanks to all dear and near ones...

I am currently in Doha and I would like to meet all of my friends who laready registered with IL and is currenly in DOha...

Hope all my friends will help in getting ease to this portal

Enjoy

9. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Hi Shalini,

Welcome to Indusladies and a Very Welcome to the Doha thread.

It's nice to see another new member/friend among us.

I am sure you will enjoy being a part of IL team.......So share little more about you so we doha-ILites can know you more better.

Looking forward to interact with you...and have a pleasent stay while you are in IL...

Love,
    Preethi

10. nikkypk

nikkypk New IL'ite

hi every1
    I hv been in doha for the past 1 yr...im still on the look out for frds vit common interests....im 24 yrs old from 'god's own country', comp sc engr,not workin currently, hv a 3 month old baby, my better half is workin as a proj engr here ...well i guess thts d basic info...
    so send me a mail 2 make a new frd :)

lookin fwd 2 answerin ur emails
    luv
    nikky

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2008