1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I don't know how to deal with this

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by neha1, May 3, 2011.

1. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Neha, my biggest worry here is your husband's H1.

Please go to Murthy website or immigration.com to get more details on extension of Visa. I may be wrong but I understand that, GC has to be filed and Labor has to be approved for your H1 to get extension. You may need to understand fully the conditions etc for Visa extension. Even if he changes job and they apply for GC, there isn't enough time here because as per the rule of extention of H1 B visas, you need to have applied for GC atleast a year ago, i.e. your labor application is pending or has been approved and your I-140 is pending. I suggest read up on this more and you will get a clearer picture.

You can google search for "extension of H1B after 6 years "...there is a lot of information there.

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

gjaya,
    yes, I am aware of that rule..he has about 1.5 years left on H1b..what I mean by visa expiry is the current one might come to an end soon..and he still has 1 more year after that...
    I am stil going to browse through that website,just to keep ourselves informed.

3. yesican

yesican Gold IL'ite

neha dear, nobody's asking you to sacrifice, in fact i did say in my 1st post why dont u do ur studies in ny, and ur hub work in chicago for 1.5-2 yrs? What's the issue here?
    If hub says no u cant live apart, you act like a mature adult look him in the eye and say dear i've put a lot of thought into this we will be apart for 1/5 yrs but we will fly out to meet each other every 3 months and after this tough time of 1.5 yrs we will be together again, we need to tough out the tough times together, tht's what a true marriage and partnership is about.

See what I'm saying? It's not you sacrificing your studies for ur hub or ur hub sacrificing his US dreams for you, it's both of u sacrificing (in the short term)for ur future life together. Marriage is a long term bet, looks like u guys are in ur mid-20's , expect to live till ur 75(average) so that's 50 odd years of married life ahead of you, what's 1.5 yrs out of 50 yrs of marriage, It's going to be tough, but support each during ur tough times. As someone here said - think win-win - both of you win.

You;ve been out of the job mkt for 2 yrs, ur hub has been trying for a change since the last 12 months, so he knows how tough it still is to get jobs, US citizens dont get jobs, for H1 it is v v challenging, i think that is why ur hub didnt restict himself to 1 location but applied everywhere, he knows how tough it is out there, dont discourage him, dont make him lose hope, just like you are angry at him for asking him to give up your education dreams, he will also be shattered when you asked him to refuse the job offer.
    (If both of u have decided to go back to india that's good but from your posts seems to me there is some latent desire to stay on in US I may be wrong. Anyway it's a matter of 1.5 years you can even postpone ur india dreams you get a good education here will be v valuable in india. My opinion - keep ur options open)

Dear when I first came to the US i was without a job for 1.5 years everyday i used to cry my hub is the greatest guy in the world took me travelling vacations shopping what not, but I still wanted a job. So I know exactly what you mean when you talk about not having a professional life. Have faith in urself, you will be suucessful and achieve all ur dreams -

Dear tough out these next 1.5 -2 years, with ur studies in ny and his job in chicago, think win-win, think long term success of ur marriage, think positive and the next 1.5 yrs will fly by as an investment for your future.

(I wrote v fast, wanted to respond to u quickly so that ur hub does not refuse the job, work through this togetehr, sorry for the spell etc. mistakes)

4. yesican

yesican Gold IL'ite

neha apologies to you i went through my 1st post again it is v harsh, Sorry I did not mean to be harsh. All the best to you and your hub dear, work through the tough times together, and enjoy the good times together too. Lots of v wise folks on this forum, hope they share their opinions and you and ur hub take the right decision.Take care

5. ArchanaP

ArchanaP Silver IL'ite

Neha,

I did not ask you to give up. Like I already mentioned, your post sounded like your husband is jobless for 1 year and finally got a job after 1 year of struggle. So, I was asking you to act according to the situation rather than being stubborn about what you want. But reading others posts I learnt he is not jobless but just looked for another job because he is not satisfied with the current one.
    Yes,in that case since you are in the middle of your career too, the problem need to be discussed and resolved in mutual interest rather than benefiting just one person.

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

yesican,

hubby is totally against living separately actually. Infact, if I think of it, even I cannot pass a day without talking to him and seeing him:hide:. I had to think a 100 times before taking a 2 months vacation to see my family in india because I was that scared I'd miss DH and he would miss me I used to worry waht he will do for cooking etc..needless to say, I felt miserable without him(look up a previous thread of mine for this topic).
    I agree with what you say here..We both do have the attraction to live here but we were supposed to move back to india only for my job(no other reason absolutely). So that's when it really hit me that if DH has his own plans then why did he say we will move back. I went crazy with these thoughts.

Dear when I first came to the US i was without a job for 1.5 years everyday i used to cry my hub is the greatest guy in the world took me travelling vacations shopping what not, but I still wanted a job. So I know exactly what you mean when you talk about not having a professional life. Have faith in urself, you will be suucessful and achieve all ur dreams
    Exactly, my feeling yesican. I cried and felt miserable every day of my life. My husband has been very supportive is most things, we have had most arguments only related to this topic over the last 2 years. He too took me on so many lovely vacations - orlando,miami, yellowstone national park, yosemite, vegas, grand canyon etc etc and what not,allows me to shop when I want and the list goes on... he is a sweet heart but this issue was something that was really close to my heart and could not give up either..we blew lot of money too on vacations but you know what , at the end of the day my heart was stil empty. I think I'm not the kind of person who is happy being at home for a long time. With every passing day, I feel the pinch. I wake up with emptiness every morning. I really want to put an end to this life of mine and that is what made me freak out.Ofcourse, I've already decided that I"ll spend time with my kids when we have them and be a full-time mom for a couple of years :). Because kids will be a priority that time.
    yesican, no no no - I do not expect apologies, just that I really had a lot of heart ache when I read your post. I was already in a lot of confusion and dilemma so it was like a reflex for me to defend myself.
    thanks for your words here. Now I feel a lot better. I need to help DH land a job now, we are defintely running out of time and need to find a new emplyer.
    Anyway, the best part is DH is fine now. He is not so sad. He had his dinner last night, and slept well. Now, he is kind of ok. I hope he is fine in a couple of days time. I"ll try to keep him as cheerful as possibe.

Archana,
    I did not mention that he is not jobless,my bad. Sorry about that confusion. He is looking for a job because of better prospects and also to find someone to file a GC so that after 1.5 yrs, we don't have to leave the country. I think now that he has given up this offer , he will need to continue his search. We did not want to be separate Archana. I think deep in our hearts we both had that fear and that is why either of us did not want to give-up. If we agree to live spearately for sometime, then no one needs to give-up isn't it?

7. sonalim

sonalim Senior IL'ite

Hi neha1,

I was just reading all your replies and one thing just struck me. You said that your husband was looking for a new job since he needed an employer to sponsor his GC so that you guys can stay in the US after the completion of his 6 years on his H1b, right? So if he cannot find someone who can sponsor his GC in the next 1.5 years, you guys have to go back to India. I do understand that you have no issues moving back to India whatsoever as you can resume your career back home. However, if you were so adamant about getting your master's here since you could not sit at home all day, would you be able to complete your MS before the end of 1.5 years from now. With your prerequisites and then your course work, I guess it would take longer than that. So, at the end of the day, if your husband cannot find a gc sponsor, you would have to quit your studies midway and head back to India is it? And what about the money you spend on your education until then? If you were planning to take loans from India or pay through credit cards, you would be in a lot of debt before you go back to India. I am sorry I am not trying to discourage you or anything, but the decisions do not seem as practical as you think. If you wanted your degree so badly and did not want to waste any more time trying to apply to a different college, I wonder how you can quit your studies midway without getting even a degree. I completely wish your husband the very best of luck to find another employer who can sponsor his GC so that you guys can stay back atleast until you get your degree.

Please do understand that I have only pointed out the worst case scenario here and you guys can definitely work things out in a better way. What I am trying to say is when you guys are discussing about what to do, please keep your egos aside about who should give up what and try and work towards a mutual decision. Agreed your husband gave up his job in this tough economy. I have to say it was a bold step on his part. But somehow I still think giving up a grad school admission would have been a lot easier. I have been through this way and helped a lot of friends from India with their applications too and I do know how the admission process works. I do agree you were planning to start this summer and it would have taken just another semester for you to start finding something where your husband has a job. And with your GC in the process, you would have had some time on your hands, gotten your degree and then land a job eventually. Of course, it is a bit easier to find a job in the US with your master's degree, definitely not impossible.

All said and done, your decision has already been made. Your husband should have been a little bit accommodating with you staying in NY for at least a semester before you can join in a college in Chicago. You should have considered all the pros and cons before thinking girls have to sacrifice always. You know sometimes, we, as women tend to become competitive and start comparing everything with our husbands and fight for equality. We only forget that marriage is not a competition, or a ego game and that we just have to make adjustments with the situations.

I have read a lot of times on this forum that lot of us don't understand how difficult life is for ladies who come here on H4 visa having sacrificed their career and something they loved. While I do understand their plight, I think it is not very reasonable to argue that women have to sacrifice everytime because I bet all the girls who came here on H4 visa would have known the consequences of the visa and that they cannot work on that visa. It is not that this is a very new concept and only a few are aware of this. With the number of people migrating to the US every year, I believe every educated household in India knows the different visa categories and the consequences. On this forum itself, there are a lot of ladies on H4 visa, who do a lot of volunteer work and provide ideas to spend time in a productive way. At the end of the day, each family dynamics is different. But cribbing and complaining would only lead you to become more and more miserable and frustrated and that would affect your relationships. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry if my views sounded very idealistic. But guys, please think through.

Sonu.

8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

sonalim,
    yes, what you say is a valid point. And this is a worst case scenario. I only hope things do not get that worse. However, this is just a hope that he will find an employer. Also, If we have to go to India after another year, then anyway noone would give me a job with such a big break ,isn't it?He said he will search for consulting oppurtunities if he does not find permanent ones.I guess its going to take me 4 semesters which will be almost 2 years unless I take up summer and winter classes too.
    Definitely life is hard on h4 but you know something, I never wanted to come to US. Its not like I married a guy to enter this country and then found myself in a soup. I had a love marriage and a nice job in India: DH got the oppurtunity after our engagement ( i already was dating him for 2 years by then)and he said we will stay on for a year,now that one year has become two and then three...so where am I going then? Do I just keep sacrificing(now this is a past story and I just don't want to start blaming anyone again, my previous threads have this story)? If I had made the decision to marry a guy settled in US, as many women do, I would not CRIB at all because that would be my choice. I do volunteer work too but it sucks to do unpaid jobs daily and instead I pay for the travel . Really, I'm fed up of that too. I've been volunteering for 1.5 years now.

I know this situation does not sound great but you know waht sonalim, I'm just in the hope that he will find an emplyer. also, I hope of getting a job after my degree.

Decisions are so hard. I only hope we both can live through this one. Sigh. Life is so hard.

9. sonalim

sonalim Senior IL'ite

neha1,

I was only referring to the H4 women in general, and was not trying to point at you specifically. Sorry if I responded without knowing the entire story. I really hope from the bottom of my heart that things work out in a great way for the both of you and that you both could do what you want in life. All the very best!!

10. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite