Barley and Quinoa recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by google, Feb 9, 2011.

1. google

google Bronze IL'ite

hi
    Can someone please tell me some good Indian recipes with barley and quinoa.
    Its apparently very healthy and nutritious.

Thanks

2. bittenkitten

bittenkitten Senior IL'ite

I don't know about barley, but I simply use quinoa in place of rice. Mind you - it doesn't clump up with curry, so you'll either have to add roti/chapati or use a spoon, but I find that it's a really good alternative to rice, especially if you're watching your weight or trying to lose it, as I am currently.

3. skanum

skanum New IL'ite

1.-- Make Quinoa uppma -make everything like sooji uppma -add quinoa instead of sooji --add alittle more water +more of green coriander+ a little more oil and any veggies you like, wash the quinoa before use-this is very good for lunch or dinner , breakfast or snack.

2.-- plain cooked quinoa can be used for salads ---stuffings like capsicums or mushrooms.

3---cooked quinoa added with potato +spices can be used for stuffed parathas or samosas.

Qunioa powder
    4.-- quinoa 1/2 cup+ jeera 1 tsp+dhania seeds1tsp + curry leaves 8 to ten ,dry chillis to taste, sesame seeds 2 tsp--roasted dry in a pan till aroma comes out powder it with salt.Use it in hot rice with a little ghee this is very tasty
    quinoa is very healthy

BARLEY

Boil 1 tblsp Barley with 4-5 cups water till seeds cooked drink this in summer --good for urinary infection add buttermilk with little salt .with fever add milk with sugar .
    Barley water is good for heat stroke and loose motions.use it in any gravies or veggies .

4. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

@Saknum,

Thanks for hte wonderful recipes. Especially, the powder will be great to eat with rice. Will let you know after I taste it.

Hav:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfle a great day.

5. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Barley can be cooked much like oatmeal with a little bit of milk and honey, for breakfast. It is very filling.

I make quinoa salad like couscous salad - cooked, fluffed up with fork and then tossed with any vegetable, raisins or nuts. It is sooooo yummy!