1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Day in the life of a Home Tutor!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anukarsha, Feb 28, 2011.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

[FONT=&quot]Hi Friends![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Yesterday, I met a person, he’s a home tutor. I am quite inquisitive by nature so whenever I come in contact with someone different, I try to understand his/her profession, the pros n cons attached to it n all. So we started talking. It was indeed an eye opener session for me. So I decided to share it with you all.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]His typical day starts at 6.30 am. Commuting in Mumbai is really a tough task that too in the mornings and evenings. He just takes something li’l in the morning and rushes to station. Catches a train; goes to the student’s place. At his student’s home, it’s the rush hour. As his father has to go to office, mother is busy cooking, student has just got up from sleep and the maid is doing her chores. There’s chaos everywhere. This guy goes n sits quietly in the chair and waits for the student to come. The boy comes with his glass of milk, lazing around and replies to his questions in a rather sleepy tone. Slowly, the momentum builds up and then it’s time to leave. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]This guy now comes to the station again, takes another train to the other student’s place. There the scene is a bit better as the morning rush hour has passed, everyone has gone to his/her destination. This guy (student) is feeling a bit relieved after morning circus and there arrives this tutor. Ding-dong rings the doorbell and the student asks him, how come you are so early today sir? This guy feels like giving him two tight slaps. Anyway, he just smiles and starts with his first question- Did you do your homework last night????[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Then rushing to his other students all day long, juggling between train, bus, auto-rickshaw n all this guy goes home by about 8pm. Sometimes he has something in between two classes, sometimes it’s just not possible to stop at a good hotel to have something; even a roadside vendor is also far too approachable for the want of time. Wherever he reaches late, the mothers are waiting with an explosive smile on their faces and they just don’t leave a chance to scold him also. They sometimes don’t even shy away from reminding him that they are paying a hefty sum to him. This poor chap, just says sorry and moves on.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Though this tutor doesn’t like to have anything at anybody’s place, there are a few considerate ones who offer him tea n snacks n all. I liked it and asked him what’s the best thing and the worst too about being a home tutor. He replied quickly that the best thing is that he goes to only deserving candidates because he’s choosy about whom to tutor n whom not to. This is a viable option as far as finance is concerned because home tutors always charge more. He can concentrate on his students’ weak n strong points and is able to bring out the best out of them. But about negative side what he spoke touched me my friends. He said, since he goes home to teach, the parent is always there to judge him. They try to interrupt sometimes when he scolds the student for not doing homework n all. These people shout at him and tell him to mind his own business. (Then what is this guy doing, he’s minding his business only. If he doesn’t scold the student and if the student wouldn’t score well in exams, it’ll be this poor guy only, who you all parents would scold). Then sometimes there is disturbance of phone calls, TV, doorbell n all.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]But he says at the end of the day, he feels satisfied when all his students do well in their respective exams and bring laurels to him n to themselves. He tells them to study smartly and not just mug up. He suggests the parents not to pressurize them, take them for walks, to a place of worship, eat healthy, sleep well and all.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]So this was the life of a home tutor in Mumbai in a nutshell. I enjoyed talking to him. I hope all those who are planning to engage a home tutor for their kids in near future should take a note from this and help a home tutor achieve his target and in turn see their own wards getting better ranks in the exams.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]regards [/FONT]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

2. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

hi anukarsha,

very thought provoking post. it is really shameful that teachers in india are being treated this way. we are a country who pride ourselves on our culture and values. what happened to the tradition of the guru-shishya parampara, where the guru was accorded the same status as the parent.

if we are unable to continue to follow these values, let us at least stop being hypocritical and pretending to nurture very great, traditional values.

4. raxxsach

raxxsach New IL'ite

Wow Interesting but quite opposite of my own experience.i tutored in the past,home tutored from grade 10 till I was in MA.But i am of the opinion that your respect and disrespect is in your own hand.Dealing with people in life or work is itself an art and where ever we work or live we have to make sure we learn to deal with people.Even in our Family there is always the same .A mother can be either a dominant or recessive depending on her skills and nature..And in any case if you believe that you are the best no one can hurt you or be rude to you.So lets not give anyone the right or the power to be rude to us...

5. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear raji for your feedback.cheers-anu:)

6. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear satchi for your elaborate feedback.Yes, i too felt bad for him.He seems to be a good person but i think we are becoming more n more materialistic and weigh everything in terms of money only.what you say??? cheers-anu:)

7. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear raxxsach for your elaborate feedback.Yes, i agree with you to an extent but i've noticed one thing that things have changed drastically in last few years.I can recall an incident when i used tutor kids going for state n national level talent search exams and scholarships.Students used to come to my place and i would tutor them.i was never ever into regular kinda tuitions.Once a lady called me and rather ordered me to tutor her two kids.I refused gently saying that i don't tutor kids on regular basis,i'm only for scholarships.She said, madam, take whatever you want but tutor my kids.i refused again.But she was adamant in her behaviour.Then i lost my cool and said, OK, give me 1 crore each per month, i'll tutor your kids.She started giggling and said madam, you're cracking a joke.I said with a stubborn voice that you are making a joke of me and asking for something which i don't do????what do you think you can "buy" teachers???Then she said sorry to me.
    So this is the condition now my dear here.anyway.thanks.cheers-anu :)

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

i agree with you anukarsha. education has unfortunately been commodified in this country. the students and their parents are the customers (and therefore kings), education is a commodity and teachers the vendors. they think they can throw money at the teachers, and without any effort on their own parts, their offspring should be able to excel in all subjects. if only there was a way to drill a hole in their skulls and pour knowledge like petrol/diesel into their brains.

9. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear satchi for your feedback sorry for replying after so long.i agree with you.people feel that they can buy any damn in this world with money power which is absolutely a wrong idea.cheers-anu:)

10. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Very nice post,Anukarsha...

Your post made me momentarily think of my old math teacher and dance master with respect-who came to my house decades ago...

But ,now a days dont we find this breed vanishing as more and more run tutorial classes from their homes where the kids flock ,paying a hefty fee...