Good OB&GYN in US and ROW

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sanravi_1970, Aug 9, 2007.

1. sumati01

sumati01 New IL'ite

Gynecologist Recommendation

Hi Ladies,

I am looking for a gynecologist who can help me with my family planning. I am located in Bay area, California. I was wondering if you could provide me any recommendations for good gynecologists and share your experiences with me.

Thanks for your help.

- Sumi

2. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

First pre-natal visit - Questions to ask

Dear All,

I am currently on my 12th week of pregnancy.

These are the questions that I asked my Gyn when I went for my first pre-natal visit.
    They may come in handy for someone who does not have an idea of what to ask. I collected them from a couple of books that I read and also based on my own doubts.

Please feel free to add any other personal questions that you may have that are specific to your case.

Any other suggestions on what to ask about during subsequent pre-natal visits are welcome.

1. Vaccines – I had taken TB and Tetanus Vaccinations eight weeks before getting pregnant. Will it be a problem for my baby?

2. I have Vaginal Itching. Could it be yeast infection? What should I do for relief?

3. I have developed severe acne in the last two months. There are even a few marks. Will they go away? What should I apply on my face for this?

4. What is the correct position to sleep? Can I sleep in any position that is comfortable to me?

5. Can I drink Soy milk and green tea during pregnancy? I have received mixed response from everyone.

6. Have never exercised before, can I start a walking routine now? If I do, then for how long should I walk everyday? Should I be doing any other exercises?

7. I don’t throw up but I have nausea throughout the day. When will this symptom subside?

8. What is the recommended weight gain that I should aim for? What is my current weight?

9. Where can I reach you between my pre-natal visits if I need to? Who should I speak to in your absence?

10. I am currently taking Citracal Prenatal + DHA (for the past three four months) as my prenatal vitamin. Can I continue this? Do I need any additional supplements?

11. When will I know if I am carrying twins and when will I know the gender of my baby? When is my official due date?

12 I am worried if I hurt my baby when I carried heavy laundry up the stairs. Is my baby OK?

If applicable, you can also ask the following:

• I already had a C-Section delivery before this. Can I expect a normal delivery this time?
    • I have a toddler. Can I lift him / her now that I am pregnant?
    Cheers,
    Geetha

3. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Re: First pre-natal visit - Questions to ask

Gr8!!Wat did your doctor say for Q No :5.

Shall we take soy milk?

4. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

She said yes for soy milk and no for greet tea. But because of the mixed response that Soy Milk has, I restricted it anyways.

Thanks,
    Geetha

5. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

What happens during your prenatal visits to the doctor ?

Hi Ladies,

I am 18 weeks pregnant and i just want to know what generally happens in each of your prenatal visits to the doctor...As ours is a global online community , i hope we can get to know how is pregancy care done by doctors all over ...

Let me start with mine, i live in Dubai, after i was confirmed pregnant (5th week), at the end of 7th week , i had my first ultrasound...I started having folic acid tablets (400 mcg) , 2 months before my pregnancy and continued them till the end of my 3rd month...At the end of 11th week , the doctor tried doppler test, but since we couldnt hear the heart beat, as it was too early, i had my 2nd ultrasound and we saw my baby moving inside happily...From 12th week i am having Osteocare tablet -calcium supplement ( 1 in the morning) and Pregnacare tablet - think for iron supplement and also has folic acid in it ( 1 at night ) till now... At the end of 16 th week, my doctor did a doppler test, and we could hear the baby's heart beat , though it was not the lub-dub sound but it was like hiss- hizz sound..

So, how are your tests done ?..Can u share it with us ?..:cheers

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi! Congrats to you:) I think the procedures vary slightly from country to country. For example in India I have heard a scan (internal) is never done until 15 weeks. I'm not sure how true this is anyway. Even though I delivered my first one back home all my tests until then was in Germany where we live. I went when I was about 6 weeks pregnant, they did a urine test first to confirm my pregnancy. And then I answer a questionaire about my periods, any allergies, medications, previous pregnancies/abortions, hereditary diseases (mostly diabetes, heart trouble, high bp etc.,). Then doc did internal scan every month till she could see the baby from scan on tummy. Every visit they took urine and blood tests. I was given folic acid+iron supplement until 12 weeks then added up with DHA (said to help nerval system development in the foetus). I was given additional iron supplement in the last trimester since my haemoglobin fell a bit low. I don't remember taking calcium supplements until I went to India. I was completely off coffee (that is the main factor that inhibits calcium absorption from normal diet) and ate lots of fruits (no raw veges).

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Re: help me

Hi! I do hope you managed to find a good doctor. Just had a small tip for finding doctors in any foreign country. Check out the british and american consulate websites for hongkong. They always have a detailed list of doctors. This is one link I found Lists of Medical Providers in Hong Kong and Macau - Consulate General of the United States Hong Kong and Macau

or you can also ask the Indian embassy in Hongkong. They must have a list of doctors/clinics. Hope it helps:) All the best and do not lose hope.

8. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi traveller,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.. yes, as u said a scan in india is not done until atleast the end of first trimester...Even i will be having my baby delivered in India, but till then all my regular check -ups will be done here in Dubai..Here, the doctor said that in the entire pregnancy period, they just do the blood and urine tests only once,as it is costly ...I had my blood and urine tested last week and it was found that my heomoglobin content is low...So, i will be taking an iron supplement also till the end of my second trimester... But my mom and sister are surprised, since during their pregnancies, they never took any tablets or supplements !!!!!! As u said, i have completely cut off coffee right from the day my pregnancy was confirmed ( reason being it inhibits calcium absorption and causes dehydration as well ):iagree....

So, Ladies who r going through ur pregnancy in India, how are the tests done there ?..
    R u taking any supplementary tablets ?...

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Maha,

In India too these days supplements are given. I was given calcium, iron in addition to the ones I was taking here. My sil said she took iron, folic acid, calcium supplement from the time her pregnancy was confirmed. My doc in Bangalore was a kadavul to me. Since I had some complications she took very good care and was very open to me (not many doctors, still, talk openly to the patients back home). They did scan everytime i went (but they will not show us;) and towards the last few weeks i went for check-up every 2 days. And everytime my urine was checked (since diabetes runs heavily in my family). I ate too much pickles as soon as I landed and that kind of increased my weight suddenly. So i was off salt for a while. I think tests in India depends largely on the doctor (if they've worked abroad they follow a bit of the western methods), the hospital. Nothing like going home and getting pampered. I never feared about my delivery coz I was so happy being with family until the day I actually got the pain. All the best to you:)

10. smitharajeev

smitharajeev New IL'ite

Re: help me

dear.
    chk ur thyroid ;levels plz...consult a good gynec..thyroid pblms can also lead to miscarriage..may god bless u with a wonderful kid..
    lv smita