1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

H4 to H1 (slightly different case)

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Sujata18, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Sujata18

Sujata18 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I just joined IL and would like to introduce myself in this post along with stating my case. I am based in San Jose and moved here from Florida about 6 months ago. I am on H4 and have recently completed my Masters in Computer Science from one of the univ. in FL. I regret not switching to F1 but the personal circumstances were such that switching from H4 to F1 was not feasible during that time. I do not have OPT/CPT option, studied full time on H4.

Now searching for H1 sponsors in Bay Area, 4 yrs exp. from India. Can someone provide me with 1-2 'honest', 'genuine' consulting companies? I have applied to tons of jobs for direct hire but there must be something wrong with my skill set or resume that there is no positive response. If at all I do get a call, they plainly refuse after I tell them I am on H4 and need H1. One humble request, I have researched enough on sulekha, desicrunch etc. so please do not ask me to research from these sources. Please provide names based on your personal experience and/or any of your acquaintances.

I am almost on the verge of committing to a training-cum-placement from a consulting company (my gut feel says its not going to work) but desperate times call for desperate measures!

Thanks in advance and I look forward to connecting with new friends here.

2. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sujata,

Its really unfortunate hearing your situation.

You should understand that this is your 1st H1 application. So this would mean you can apply only on April1 and can start working only on Oct 1 at the earliest.
    Think logically from a broader perspective , you will understand this better.

Even if some company is ready to hire you , you are not immediately ready to work legally .

In this situation , I dont think you have any other option other than going for one of those Training-with-placement opportunities.

Anyways Good luck with that. :thumbsup

3. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

I think the quota is still open. April 1st is the day they start accepting petitions, and they continue to accept till the quota is reached.

Oct 1 is the day a worker can start working. So now that it's December, she can work as soon as her H1 is approved.

She can't work immediately i.e from the day of the offer, because H1 processing takes a while. But premium processing can be availed of, and she can start working within 15 days of petitioning, if the approval comes through.

4. Sujata18

Sujata18 New IL'ite

I know the cap has not been met yet, there are still around 300 visas left for Masters category and around 11000 for Regular. Source - USCIS. Which is exactly why I am in a frantic mode to find a sponsor. If I miss this chance, the thought of not doing anything until Oct 2011 is painful.

5. Sujata18

Sujata18 New IL'ite

Correct me if I am wrong, if a consulting company 'claims' that they will provide training, file H1 and place me on projects, this is not possible in current scenario without a client letter, right? This means first I find a project, get a client letter then find a H1 sponsor but will the client wait that long until my H1 is approved?
    Happy New Year!

6. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sujata,

If you find a client project , then processing H1 is not a big deal. Any company can sponsor it within 15 days for you. Am sure clients do wait 15 days (2 weeks).

@Sowmya,
    Thanks for correcting this.

7. Sujata18

Sujata18 New IL'ite

I agree 15 days should be fine. I am about to join a training-placement program from a consulting company who claim that they will sponsor H1 however, as with almost all such companies I have not read good reviews. All the usual bad stuff. This indecisiveness is so frustrating, I am not sure what I should do. I have been searching for honest genuine consulting companies but none so far.

8. umaraj23

umaraj23 Senior IL'ite

Hi Suja

If you are seriously lookin for a good consultancy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
  9. malarun

malarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Umaraj

I have mailed you regarding this kindly help me in this regard.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
  10. shams86

shams86 Bronze IL'ite

Hello Umaraj share the consulting company which u consider it as a gud one...Everyone needs the info..