What North Indian food i can freeze to have after delivery

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by shivangi1, Nov 27, 2010.

1. shivangi1

shivangi1 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Iam expecting my baby in Dec. My due date is 25th Dec. Could you please suggest me what North Indian food can i make and freeze it,so that I have no problem after I come back from hospital. Would like to know light and less spicy food that I can eat after delivery.
    Thanks,

2. AVM

AVM Bronze IL'ite

Sorry i donno abt ur Q.
    But just want to tell a coincidence...I have a colleague called shivangi and expecting on dec 25th :) but she in mumbai now

3. shivangi1

shivangi1 New IL'ite

Wow. Iam in US. Let me know did she have have a baby girl or boy and what time.

4. AVM

AVM Bronze IL'ite

Shivangi,
    Our shivangi delivered a boy today morning. Donno exact timing. So you can also expect anytime now or delivered already???

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Typical North Indian Food for post delivery that can be frozen -

1. Moong Daal (without chilka). Just boil and freeze in small ziplocs. When needed, take out a pack, defrost and do a fresh tadka of ghee, jeera, salt, haldi and hing. You can also make something called mangodi (found in indian store). You just pressure cook it in some water, add tadka and some dahi for flavorings.

2. Lauki Ki Sabzi - Dice Lauki Fine, cook with a ghee/jeera/hing ka tadka, dhania powder, haldi and salt. No tomatoes, garlic, onions or mirchi. Again, freeze in small ziplocs and take out as needed. For first 40 days, my mom gave me just lauki and torai ki sabzis.

3. Chappatis can also be made in advance. My mom would make a batch, wrap in a layer of paper towel, then a layer of foil and then into a large ziploc bag.

6. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

dear pmahensa,

can u please tell me how the chapathis can be made in advance and put in freezer?

you roll out many, but then how you preserve it. please help. it will be very useful. thanks for the idea:idea

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

u actually cook the chappatis fully, then cool them down, make a stack of 10 or so, wrap in paper towel and foil and then place in a ziploc bag. my mom used to make 6 months worth of chappatis for my brother this way. he would just take out a pack, place in the fridge overnight to defrost, and then heat them up on the stove/tava as needed. the 3 layers of paper towel, foil and ziploc help prevent freezer burn.

1 person likes this.
  8. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:thankyou2: I am very happy to have learnt the method of storing the chapathis. your mom stores for 6 months, wow thats a long time.:thumbsup i want to do only for 1 week or so, thanks a lot.

however a small doubt, what do you mean by ''paper towel'' - do you mean tissue paper or ?? :confused2:

then foil is ''aluminium foil'' right, that is clear.:cool:

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You can just put the frozen chappati in the toaster or toaster oven and do the toast cycle. That works I think better than defrost in the fridge. There is also an interesting vidoe on youtube from those Show Me the Curry ladies about doing chappatis in a toaster.

10. msquare

msquare Senior IL'ite

great ideas. how do you defrost these food? like the moong dal, should you keep them in fridge the day before use?