1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How should I deal with my 1-year-old's neediness?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by vidya31184, Nov 28, 2010.

1. vidya31184

vidya31184 New IL'ite

Hi ,

I'm confused about how to handle my 1-year-old son. He cries and yells when I try to get him to play on his own or when I put him down, and he won't stop until I hold him.Some people say he doesn't feel well and needs my attention. How should I deal with his neediness? I do have other things to do .

Thanks,
    Vidya

2. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Every infant has the same problem :))... Babies find comfort and security with their mother. Try to play with him for a while and keep some colorful toys around him. Try to distract him with the toy. Slowly he will start playing. Hope that helps.

3. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Vidya - Is this something you are noticing recently?
    I have a 13mo old too and I feel that she wants me to hold her when - I am leaving to office (she doesn't want me to go), she has some discomfort, she is hungry, tired, clingy, unwell .....and sometimes when she is just bored. I think if you can address the actual issue , this will come down.
    Also , like rums said, try making her play things more attractive. I had to give up hope on the toys that DD had. I have her some SS bowls and she happily plays !!

4. meenasak

meenasak Senior IL'ite

Hi Vidhya,

As he's only one year old he always needs you. Even my son who is 3 at present needs me all time and also even at the time if he goes out with his dad. This is common. I'll distract his mind by saying something(ex:dad will take you to lift,buy car...).
    Like that you try to distract his attention by showing the car or whatever he likes(operate a remote car). Get a car with lights and music. If it starts to move he'll get distracted. Also have your recorded voice and play the voice and make him feel that you are always near him. But always have a eye on him.

Take care.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  5. babychinnu

babychinnu Senior IL'ite

Hi Vidhya,

I too face the same these days with my 13 month old baby. But, what I observed is slowly they get habituated for pick ups by mom. So, try to distract him by showing something else if he is asking to pick u up jus like that. But, if he is in real need and asking, dont delay.
    Yes, as others said, they find comfort and security only with mom, not with dad also at this age. But, if we pick them up always, they will be on us only mostly. Try throwing a ball somewhere and ask him to get it or do some things to distract him.

Deepchiran.

6. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi Sumanr,
    Thanks. I like your quote "A man can't ride your back unless it is bent"...real nice!!!!!!!!!..

Bye
    Rums