Visiting Oslo,Seeking your suggestion

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by madhusri8576, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Lakari,

I am sure you will enjoy your stay in Oslo. To answer your questions as best as I can:

Medical- Health care in Noraway is really good. Both in terms of qualified medical and care giving professionals, and medical insurance. In Bergen, the local commune where I lived had a health centre which apart from allopathy, offered Reiki, accupuncture, acupressure, doula services, tissue therapy, homoeopathy, phototherapy etc. Oslo will have even more.Dont worry about moving with a baby. Almost all speak good English and you will have no issues with immunisation or other health sniffles.

Reg affordability- medical care is expensive. But Norway has cradle to grave social insurance. Also, all companies will fully cover health insurance (prescriptions may or may not be covered).

more later. will edit this post.

2. lakari

lakari New IL'ite

Vidya,

Thank you ur valuable quick reply and i am expecting more from you.
    Can you tell me how much will come for the cost of living in oslo like staying in a one bedroom house and the bills electricity gas n internet telephne line and the transportation in a detailed manner.

Cheers
    Lakari

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Lakari,

Sorry for the delay. I assume you are Indian South Indian. I am not sure how strong is the South Indian community in Oslo is. There are North Indians and the Sri Lankan Tamil population is really strong. There are quite a few temples in Oslo, including a Hare Rama Hare Krishna centre. The temples are managed by different groups-North Indian, South Indian, SriLankan Tamil. When you move with Sri Lankan Tamils, you might want to make sure that they are not exactly the LTTE supporters who sponsor illegal movement of Sri Lankan Tamils from Ceylon to Norway. I made that mistake once and was lucky that it had no repurcussions.

All Indian groceries, vegetables etc are easily available both in Norwegian super markets and local markets.

Cost of living in really high. Norway is the most expensive country in the world. Added to that is the 42% tax that is deducted from high end expatriate salaries.In spite of that, life is comfortable and one can save considerably. I would say that generally rent, utilities, heating bills, transportation etc are all costly. But dont let that affect you, it is all affordable and efficient. Mercer Consulting has a section on cost of living in different countries, check their site for this info.It is pretty accurate.

I personally feel that living in Norway is a blessing not given to many. You get to experince a society and way of living that is very egalitarian and forgiving.Also, get to see and enjoy Artic winter, Aurora Borealis etc. If possible, use the stay in Oslo to visit exotic places like Iceland, Greenland, Svaalbard etc. These memories will stay with you forever.

Lykke til! (Figure that out when you reach Oslo)

4. lakari

lakari New IL'ite

your assumption is correct Vidya , belongs to Tamil Nadu . After read your post now i am very much happy to go Norway,before in a half heartedly i noded to my hubby. Sure i will post the comments once we settled there probably we will move around july end.Once again tank you very much for your reply

bye
    laksmi

5. priya30485

priya30485 New IL'ite

Hai...everyone
    I am living in luxembourg.And me and my husband are planning to go to oslo and also to see norway in a nutshell in the month of aug.We are planning to spen 4 days.
    Can anyone help me to make a trip.?
    1.What are all the places can visit in oslo.Expect musems and chruchs.
    Howmany days we can spend in oslo?
    2.In 4 days,we are also planning a trip to fjords.We preferred "norway in a nutshell" from oslo to bergen.But I am having doubt that,can i make round trip from oslo to bergen and bergen to oslo? or oneway trip from oslo to bergen and make return from another destination to oslo?How much the cost will be and how we can travel?is it possible?
    3.how can i travel from oslo to bergen?train,bus or ferry????i confused...:confused2:
    Also i need a cheap ticket atleast.

If anyone tell me your experience about your trip,it will be very usefull for me to make a good trip...plz help me

Thanks
    priya

6. Prasantha

Prasantha New IL'ite

Hello,

Iam not Vidya, but i have lived in Norway for the last 22 yrs.

If you are the tourist, then Oslo is quite beautiful. Not far away is the ski jump, Holmenkollen where the winter world games are held. The Forgner (Vigelands) Park is also good, but better during the summer.

Yes, Norway is cold and if you dont mind walking, then it is important to dress well. Up at Holmenkollen, you can try your hand at skiing, at least your daughter will enjoy it and she will get a lot of laughs. Again, very important with the appropriate dress.

There is already snow in Oslo and it is predicted to come in soon...then it would be beautiful and white, the snow will shine like diamonds.

There is a special museum that is called "Barnas museum" and here there are pictures drawn by children from all over the world. It is worth a visit as your daughter may enjoy it.

One of the places that we love and never seem to get enough out of is the Nobel Peace Centre, which is situated at the heart of the town, by the port calle Aker Brygge. It is well worth the visit and you can spend a whole day in awe of award winners since the beginning. Have your daughter join the childrens peace club, get the newsletter and feel that she a part of making this world a better place, have her leave her drawing or name in the books that children can write in, about what they think about peace. My daughter loves it and we go there every time we go to Oslo. From Aker Brygge you can also get a "train ride" a.nd see the nearby buildings. It is run during the summer, I am not sure about the winter.

To get a reindeer ride, there is one person that runs that service during the winter, unfortunately I do not have her contact, but i am sure your hotel staff will be able to help.

There are several Indian restaurants, so food is not a problem at all. Karl Johans gata is famous for shopping, strolling, and for food. It the the main road and leads up to Royal Palace from the Stortinget which the central governments Parliament . The most famous and most expensive restaurants are all on that road. And there a at least 3 to 4 Indian restaurants there that are reputed to have good food. Otherwise you also have McDonalds, Burger King, Peppes Pizza, Dolly Dimples etc.

For those of you who are planning to move to Norway, even for a short while. Welcome to this very beautiful land. it will be lonely in the beginning, but there activities for everyone. Work, of course keeps everyone busy.

Regarding medical services: they are free for children until the age of 16, including so-called "blue receipt" medicines. others pay a small fees, around 120 kr each time to visit your doctor, but after you reach the sum of about 1900 kr in a calender year (including buying medicines etc) all medical services are free. Admission to the hospitals are totally free in any case, as long as you have a social security number.

The weather is cold during winter and can be much colder during Jan/ Feb. but from march it tends toget better, and is great for long walks in the moutains, forests etc. Again remember to always dress well and keep chocolate and a warm flask of something to drink when you go out walking. Oslo is well situated as in a few min you can escape the town and suddenly find yourself surrounded by nature and fantastic views. Just take a trip up to Holmenkollen, when bored and you will have all of Oslo at your feet. :)l

There is one of the oldest glass factoruy situated just an hours drive away from Oslo. it is beautiful during Christmas with so many activites for adults ans children. If you want you can also pick up some beautiful hand blown glass. Not far is also a candle making factory and there you can take come your own colored candles. The place is called Hadeland glassverk.

Norway is a relaxing place. No one is ever in a hurry, but they are very punctual, as are all Scandinavians. Oslo though is a fast pace city, as most capital cities are and so the people seem rushed at least for the rest of the country. They enjoy their nature although they have to work. Their weekends are very precious and and any free time is spent with family cottage, usually up the mountains. I would recommend such a trip, but during the summer and to a cottage where there is water, otherwise one would be in trouble. :spinNot fun without a proper toilet or shower....:rotfl

Well, I hope you enjoy your trip here. Any more questions, I would be happy to answer. :)

Best wishes
    Prasantha

7. Prasantha

Prasantha New IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,

There is a South Indian Temple in Oslo, but it is run by Sri Lankans, but most South Indians use the pujari there as he is from Tamil Nadu. It is not connected to any LTTE etc, but Sri Lankans are very active and the temple is liked by many South Indians. The other temple is about an hours drive from Oslo, and it is run by North Indians. I prefer that one simply because although their North Indian traditions are a little different from ours, they are very community oriented and the pujari there also does the pujas both north Indian or south Indian way. This is also a pure Indian Hindu temple and therefore I feel at home. The other one is a little different, the smells and sounds are like our temples, but I feel that they do not keep it so neatly as we are used to in our temples and stopping the deepam before each deity as he moves to the next one etc, is unacceptable to me. (Personal opinion).

There is also a South Indian organisation, called South Indian Gathering and you will get to know many South Indians living in and around Oslo. They have their own website and you can search for it. Everyone meets around every three months or about 4 times a year. There are usually 60 to 100 people who meet up and it is a lot of fun. You will be made to feel very welcome. A working committee is selected every year and they collect around 100 kr from each family. Also the food is pot luck and its wonderful to show off your cooking skills, your singing or dancing etc.. We have enjoyed it very much and its a great way to get to know people.

And I think you are lucky to come over here. As I said previously, we have lived in Norway for over 22 yrs, and all oever this beautiful country, from the Northern most town in the world (Hammerfest) to South Norway, including Bergen and Stavanger.

Best wishes
    Prasantha