1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What u feeding your 1 year olds/toddlers?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by loonypooh, Oct 18, 2010.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya, how about milk shakes? u think she wld like that? i personally think she isnt getting enough milk , are the bfeeding sessions long enough?if not add some flavours to her milk.. complan, a tiny amount of junior horlicks... see if she likes

2. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Yes Pooh ...BF sessions are not long and I do not think she is getting aything from it.

I have tried everything from milkshakes to carrot kheer etc .... Even in oats porridge if I add a tablespoon of milk, she finds out.
    THere are some rare days (like this morning) when she gulped down one glass of milk :bowdown

I will try with complan or junior horlicks. But is there anything that I can make at home and mix with milk.

3. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

badam milk or a mixed nuts one. junior horlicks etc.. i find in most of these pack labels that its for kids 2+. not sure of complan though. i wouldn't even attempt them in my kid until he turns 2.

with my older one (4 yrs) who recently started pretending to have fallen asleep when i brought her night milk, i added little pepper/turmeric powder to it.. not sure if it was the taste.. but she liked the color.. and started taking it with interest. not sure if this will work with your 1 year ! :)

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

yes ramya u can make badam kesar mix and keep in refrigerator, use it in her milk.or add a bit of dates syrup.... dunno what will work.
    yes asha those fortified powders are for 2+ yrs... zoey loves milk so i really didnt hv to think hard on these... she loves berry shakes and banana milkshake too...
    ramya have u tried giving her cold milk? refrigerate for a while n give?she might like!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

Luckily for me (touchwood!), my 1 yr old eats whatever we eat.
    He started doing that when he was 11 months old. I dont even mash his food anymore.

He loves pancakes.
    For breakfast, it is either parantha, upma, cereal (doesnt enjoy it anymore though), doodh-dahlia, dosa, idli etc.
    Lunch it is either roti/subzi (whatever veggie we make) or rice/dal, rice/chole, rice/rajma
    (chole/rajme is very rare though...once in a while).
    He loves potatoes.
    Sometimes khichdi, sometimes namkeen dahlia etc.
    Evenings again, he has whatever we have, be it rice/dal, rice/subzi etc.

For snacks, we give him Parle G biscuits, rice/fruit puffs, cereal bars, yogurt melts etc.

When he was 10.5 months old, we used to mash his food for him and also make it bland. But he never used to have it. Then one day, we gave him dal that we made for ourselves and he enjoyed it a lot. From that day onwards, we've given him whatever we eat. We both like spicy, but we've toned down completely now. No more green chillies, very less red chilli powder. We started using Kitchen King masala, which adds flavour, but does not make it spicy. Works out fine for all 3 of us.

My son is fond of food(just like his dad). I am a fussy eater and am glad that my son is not like me.
    Infact I have to think hard if I have to list what he doesnt like. My mom says that with so less teeth if he can eat chappathi/paratha now, then he's going to relish it more when he gets all his teeth :)

I think the only thing that he doesnt like much is egg. We've tried omelets, scrambled eggs, boiled egss, but he doesnt eat them with interest. He however loves the egg that we get in Dunkin Donuts (croissant with egg). Maybe I shd look up and see how they make that and replicate it for my son.

Btw, are your 1 yr olds still bottle feeding or have they transitioned to sippy cups/glasses?

Mine still feeds from bottle.
    Earlier he never used to like having water, but now he's doing fine there. However, he doesnt drink from cup nor from bottle. I have to spoon feed him water. :(

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

my girl takes water/juice/shakes from glass/mug/sipper.... but milk she still takes her bottle....:)

its a good thing ur LO relishes food!

7. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi Curiousgal, what is doodh-dahlia?
    is it wheat rava?

Thanks!

8. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Girls,

M will be one in a week.what drink do you give say junior horlicks or pedia sure( i learn its for 2 yrs and above)?
    I'm not sure if M will like milk. she doesn't like them in her ragi or oats porridge.

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

we give just plain milk.. if she isnt keen at drinking milk try some shakes custard etc etc...

10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Pooh, thanks for the reply. will try else will try shakes..hows Z btw??