1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to teach my baby?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Focus, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Focus

Focus New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    my baby is 17 months old now. He is saying 2,3 words like tata, amma, appa.
    he is pronouncing the words amma, appa. but he is not recognizing the meaning of the words. that is amma means it only refers to - me. he can use that word to call me or when he needs my attention.
    And when i try to teach some other words, he is not trying to imitate those words i say.
    he will turn his head while calling his name, when he was 5,6 months old.but now he not even responding while calling his name.
    Dear friends, give me some tips on how to teach and make him to speak.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

2. sharon ganesh

sharon ganesh New IL'ite

Even i am sailing the same boat. My son is 16 months old and has the same problem. I thought him to say Aunty yesterday and when i was having bath he was banging the door and shouting Aunty.

Just wanted to know will it take time for the kids to realize them self or there is any other way to teach them. Also i like to know as when will he get moles on his body. as he has none yet?:cheers

3. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi friends it is common at this age. U cannot expect a small baby to do everything. You have to keep on saying things. It always happens that they dont tend to understand things immediately but you should tell them on and on and they will understand one day.

You can buy good rhymes cds and make your lil one to watch that. Intially they wont watch it at the beginning but still you need to put it so that they will see them after sometime.And slowly they will learn things. Even my lil one is only 2years and 8 months he knows tables from 1 to 12 (not fully but he says most of them).

You have to spend more time talking to them and telling them and showing them interesting things like what is a crow, dog , cat etc. So that they will enjoy things and learn to differentiate things and people.

4. paru72

paru72 Silver IL'ite

why are u in a hurry?give ur baby some space for heaven sake.and dont think he will never learn.HE WILL.at his own will.he will progress dont worry

5. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

All kids should be taught these 5 words before they are taught anything else: "Pls. be patient with me"

If parents can do that, then they'll probably find kids will tell them that phrase a lot as they grow up over the months :)

6. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

SM - lol !!!!!!

Focus/Sharon - i think you guys are doing a great job. remember your babies are absorbing everything you say. one day (close to their second birthday - some kids do it earlier) they will pleasantly surprise you by repeating what you taught them. till then there is no need to worry as far as they understand simple instructions. keep talking to them non-stop.. particularly when they are focussing on some object, talk about that object rather than trying to shift their attention to where you want. they will soon do great.

but Focus - what is it about him not turning to his name? are you calling him when he is 'busy' with his work? If it is consistent, take the case to his doctor pls.

7. meenasak

meenasak Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Only way to make him speak is you need to talk to him a lot. Even i too faced this. When he was 2-1/2 i was in a apartment and there i found the childrens at his age speaks only like him(only little bit). But i saw a girl near my mother-in-law home at 2-1/2 that she was able to answer my questions. This is because she is being with her mom,dad,brother,grandma,uncle and also she has a source to speak to her neighbours. The only thing is we dont talk to them. So, dont worry. Spend more time with him(talk and sing rhymes).Also get a CD and make him watch rhymes.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  8. thepianist

thepianist Junior IL'ite

Hi Focus,

My DD is 19 months old and what you are describing is more or less normal. The key is always talk to him. Read books to him - even if he doesnt seem to understand it, trust me, he will be listening. Children brains are like sponges, and even when we think they're not paying attention, they are busy absorbing whatever they hear and see. Suddenly one day he will surprise you by saying or doing something you least expected :) Read to him, show him lots of books meant for kids, play music. I dont agree with some of the other posters about making children watch any tv (nursery rhymes, cartoons, anything). Children below 2 should not be watching any tv.

9. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Focus and Sharon,

It is quote common at this age. Kids learn how to spell words at this age. They may or may not understand the meaning. When they grow a little older, they will understand the meaning.

When my daughter is around that age, we taught her words "amma" and "nanna". Few days she used to call me and my hubby as "amma". Few days she used to call both of us "nanna" :)

-Lakshmi