1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

dengue for 1 yr baby???

Discussion in 'Infants' started by headspin, Oct 28, 2010.

1. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

is it possible for 1 yr old to get dengue? anyone is imilar situation.. dr days DS 'might' have dengue. i cant digest and beleive as he is so small.. and to be admitted?? i feel like crying and very scared....

pl share if any moms faced this wil such young children...

2. babychinnu

babychinnu Senior IL'ite

hi headspin,

dont know whether it can affect or not but get vigourous diagnosis done for the li'l one.

Hope your LO doesnot have anything of this sort.

Lots of healthy vibes to your li'l one.

Deepa.

3. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Headspin, I hope he gets alright with a negetive result on any dangerous fever.. I wonder on what basis the dr. suspects dengue for the LO.. is the dr. a pead? do you see dengue related symptoms on LO? did they take required tests? if you are still waiting for test results, I suggest you go for a second opinion meanwhile. just to make sure you are not subjecting LO to wrong diagnosis/ rounds of medications if any. Hope your family is being supportive at this point.

4. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

@Headspin

I can feel your pain. Well my baby just suffered from typhoid. I have posted the details in another post under Toddlers. She even spent her first birthday in the hospital because of it. Well, in short, she had persistent fever for almost a month. It was low grade feevr. and sometimes loose motion. some times vomiting (rare). But always the fever. Then towards the end it was persistent fever above 104 which did not come down even with pead crocin. I tried 2 -3 paeds except for her regular paedm and no one could diagnose properly. Then she had to be admitted in emergency. That is when a detailed testing again ( by then she already had undergone two blood tests, urine tests and stool testS atleast once before) showed that she had typhoid. Typhoid vaccine is given at 2 years. But she got it at 11 months. It is really very very sad.

Who is ur paed and which place are they telling you to get admitted to? I am asking because i can see that you are in kolkata. Correct me if i am wrong.

As far as thinking that 1 yr old can get dengue, when i was in the hospital,, loads of children came in with the same symptons, but almost all of them had foodpoising (it was durga pooja season and bad streeat food) or typhoid.

5. nalak

nalak New IL'ite

Hi,

My daughter suffered with dengue fever last year around October when she was 9 months old.

Please get a platelet count check done. She was having around 50K platelets which was vey low and was hospitalized for 3 days.

Also check if she is internally bleeding (drak color stools, rashes in the body etc)

If there is no internal bleeding there is nothing to worry though the platelet count is low. Feed the baby with lot of liquids.

I pray that your baby gets well soon

Thanks
    Nala

6. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

thanks all for responses!

wel, her paediatrician is a good one - very senior and experienced. so i trust his words. only that DS did not have fever at all!!

first 3 days fever. then no fever, but irritated baby. next day he did have mild rashes. dr asked to go for dengue screentest . Result was negative. but he said 'clinically it was dengue'. platelet count was first 174k then dropped to 158k. so dr asked to repeat it after 48 hrs. meanwhile DS got better and ate better.

DS paed was moving out of town for 3 days.. so got 2nd opinion with another senior paed at diff child hospital. he said it was no way dengue. some mild viral with rashes.

anyway, after 48 hrs, tested again for platelet count. it was 218k :). so relieved.

today went to DS's original paed.. he said DS was perfect :). when i told him 'it was not dengue after all'... dr replied.. 'clinically my observation said it was dengue'...

anway, dint argue coz all is well now ... hopefully and touchwood!!

7. headspin

headspin Bronze IL'ite

yea, platelet moved from 174k to 158k to 218k.
    luckily no bleeding at all.. though there were mild rashes on face...

8. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Relief HS. i was checking this message to see if you replied. no message for the past few days got me concerned. God is great !

9. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

hey HS. good. thank god DS is better. I wouldnt believe this 'clinically it was dengue' stuff.. but being there, you sure felt the pain.. bear hugs to your LO.

10. ranjuz

ranjuz Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Read post today only & happy to hear that kid is alright now...
    May God bless..