Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 4)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Hemalata

Hemalata Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra mami,

Thanks to you I could make navratri naivedyams and simple dinner for guests easily. I made Ball and stick payasam, caramel payasam, caramel poha payasam, pink semiya payasam.. Presanna would always search for leftover payasam but would never get it :). Some of the kids happily took second helpings and even requested me to pack some for them as their stomachs were full and they couldn't have more although they wanted to. I was very happy. I also made different sundals from your recipe on each day. Did the vilakku puja everyday using your format.

I made bisibela bath (with vegetables)on dassera night and one family called in to say that they are coming for golu as they couldn't come during navratri.. Bisibela was all hot and ready and they ate satisfactorily. They apparently were very hungry and luckily I had made it even though I didn't know they were coming. Even their 2 year old daughter enjoyed the bisibela.

You know, initially my bisibela used to be perfect. But the last 2 times I made bisibela in the cooker there was something wrong.. When I opened the cooker it was a bit dry and dal wasn't well cooked even though I used 10 cups of water. I thought something was wrong with my cooker and thought of asking you..My confidence level was a little low. But this time I tried by soaking the rice dal mixture for almost 3-4 hours before proceeding to cook. And I'm so happy it came out perfect exactly like how it used to come before. Now I've got my confidence back too. So I'll continue soaking in future. Sorry for the long post.. Thanks for everything. I will keep giving more feedbacks.

Love and regards
    Hema
    P.S. Thanks for your new posts in vedanta forum.. I will be checking them out too..

2. sundaribhaskar

sundaribhaskar Bronze IL'ite

hi madam,

forgot to tell you that i made gongura thokku with garlic. it came out very nicely and i have stored it.

i have this morning mixed batter for jilebi and waiting for it to ferment and try out tomorrow.

quite excited to make it and waiting for positive results.

thanks
    sundari bhaskar

3. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Chitummaa...

Weekend special is jelabi... from yesterday morning i was excited after mixing the flour.... i was waiting when the next day will come ... it came out very very nice and with full of excitement i enjoyed making jelabi... S enjoyed having it ... i bought icing bags to make it.. very thrilling moment thank you so much for this...:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

Attached Files:

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hema,
    Nice hearing from you!! Knwing how traditional you both are, I can imagine you observing navarathri with puja, naivedyams etc!:thumbsup
    I think, either the gasket or safety valve has to be replaced. Even without soakin or minimum soaking, it should come out well.
    Thanks & my regards to Prasanna :-D
    Love,
    C.

5. Chitvish

Dear SB,
    gongura thokku is a forgotten recipe here! :-(
    After fermentation, please do not bother if the dough does not rise - not necessary at all. It will just become' loose'. Proceed as I have given. Today is Vahee's & tomorrow will be yours, right???:idea
    Love,
    C

6. Chitvish

Dear Vajhee,
    Wonderful FB with a yummy photo!!:thumbsup:thumbsup
    Yes, icing bag suits this fine & is easily available.
    Now, be a good girl & try a 'designer sweet' before I post more!:biggrin2:
    Love,
    c.

7. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Dear mami,
    I want to thank you immensely for the "demystifying ulundhu vadai".I have read,re-read . today i can make perfect vadai with perfect holse.Thanks a lot.

8. Chitvish

Dear SD,
    Let me share a secret with you - it took quite some time for me to learn it perfect!:hide:
    Every time I went to Madurai, I used to ask for a demo by Amma!:biggrin2:
    Love,
    C.

9. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Dear Maami,

Made Black beans mint pulao using the recipe of channa mint pulao. I had a can of black beans that had to be finished, so substituted black beans for channa in the recipe. It was very good. I used to make mexican burritos with black beans and have never used for indian dishes. Now, I think I can make pulaos and biryanis using a variety of canned beans.

I see that you are posting sweet recipes left right and center. My in-laws are coming tomorrow. I want to make a simple sweet other than payasams/kesari/pongal :biggrin2:. But I am also scared of messing it:hide:. For some reason I haven't been confident in making sweets. Can you suggest me some simple sweet for absolute beginners like me?

Thanks,
    Aswini

10. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra Ma'm,
    Masala Sevai seems to be a hit with DD:thumbsup, she took it for lunch today.Yesterday made Pumpkin Morkuzhambu, me & DH finished it off for lunch itself:).Special Thanks for your tip on storing Kopra.It has remained fresh for a long time.Going through the Recipe index for sweets with least fat & have short listed a few.
    Love,
    Damini.