1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

My Experience - near death ; rebirth

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by laksravi, Aug 6, 2010.

1. krk

krk Junior IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,

Your mail is really an inspiring one for those deep into problems. And as others say, its your will power and optimisim towards life that has brought you back to the world.

People who have come across toughest phases in life are always more bold and ready to take up more tougher ones. You are one of them. Hats off to you... But then be careful about going for a second one. Take it up when you are really fit for it. Though you would be around 40s by the time you are fit to take up the second one, for an optimistic person like you everything will mostly go well with minimal or no complications. Only thing is make the right decision and at right time.

Best wishes to you...

- krk

2. laksravi

laksravi New IL'ite

First of all thanks everyone for the kind words and thoughts. As you all rightly said I thank almighty for giving me such loving family and more caring and loving DH. Now anyway I'm in another fix. My son is now 3 years old and i want to plan for second kid. I dodn't want my son to grow up alone. Being an only child myself, I never missed having any siblings while I was young. But nowadays I really wish i had a sibling. I am an only child and my SIL doesn't have any kids. That means he will not be having any cousins too. That'swhy I deparately wanted to have one more kid. Now the issue is, after the brain surgery my neuro had put me in antiepileptic medication. I am taking it for last couple of years and have to continue for another 3 more years as per the neuro I read in the net that this drug is not supposed to be taken while pregnent. I talked to my cousin who is a practising neurologist in the US. He told me that since I didn't have any seizure attacks while the surgery or after that I can stop the same. He says in US they will not give this medication for more than 6 months if the patient doesn't have a ny seizures. He asked me to go talk to the neuro here as I have to taper and stop the medication under the supervision of a neuro only. He told me thaat I can go and tell him the reason why I like to stop it, he can't say no to it. So, the next week I went to see the neuro and explained him with reason why i would like to stop taking these medicines. His imeediate question was why I am relating pregnanncy to this medication. According to him there is no affect on the baby if I take this while pregnant. He asked me to continue the medication and try conceiving too . Anyway I didn't want to take any risk as I have read in many places and my cousin also told me that this will affetct the baby. I came back home and called my cousin He told me that he will talk to the doctor once and see what he is telling. My cousin called the doctor and then called me back and asked me to go see the neuro. He might suggest to stop the medication. So I immediately called the doctor. He said he is okay with tapering and stopping it If I am ready to take the risk of any seizure coming.n He told me that I have to give that in writing. So again I was confused. What if a sreizure comes after stopping the medication. Then I have to start the medication all over again which will continue for another couple more years. By that time I will reach my fourties after which pregnancy will nit be easy. I talked to my cousin again. He told me that I don't ahve to give in writing or anything and if the neuro i sso specific taht I should continue taking the medicines I may ask him to change to some m=newer medication available which will not have any side effects. I am yet to talk to my neuro. My husband says doctors will have ego and he might not like us asking him to change the medication. So here I am totally confused and desparate!!
    What do you ladies think. Shall I go ahaead and ask the doctor for a change in medication?
    The other option we do have is to take asecond opinion from some other neurologist. Does anyone know the best neuro logist in Chennai. I was seeing Dr Vasudevan and Raviramamoorthy of Malar hospitals. I know that thses two [people are supposed to be among the best neurologists in the city. Any other suggestion?

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi, your story and write-up has been awe inspiring. The two doctors - like you rightly mentioned here are really good. The other suggestions I have is Dr Prithika Chary, she is the chief, Div of Epileptology in Apollo and Dr Krishnamurthy Srinivas. I have heard that they believe in minimal intervention but I dont have any personal experiences with them. A relative of mine is also planning for a family and is under the care of Dr Chary now and from what I have heard from her she has very positive things to say about going off her anti-epileptic meds. Things maybe very different with you though, but I do think you may get a good second opinion from either of them. Good luck and may you feel well soon.

4. deraj

deraj Platinum IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi

I happned to see your post only today. Very late. I am very proud to be associated with such a brave lady. Hats off to you Lakshmi.

Where there is a will, there is a way. You have overcome such a painful life with the help of your parents, inlaws and your husband. I can feel the pain of not so close (physically) to your son.

Whatever is happened is happened. God is there to take care of you and your health. As usual, be positive and win the situation. Good luck to you.

5. laksravi

laksravi New IL'ite

Hi Tikka,
    Thanks very much for your suggestions. Out of curiosity, Do you know whether this relative of yours you were mentioning is still taking antiepileptic and is planning for family or is she off the drugs? Could you check it for me and let me know? Thankls much in advance. If at all it is not troublesome for you. Else leave it, don't bother.

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

From what I know, she her meds were tapered off - or is she still in the process, I am not sure. Or was she put on a new drug. Let me ask her, give me a couple of days. But I agree with you that there is a concern for teratogenicity on the meds, with pregnancy. That's one reason they were also in search of a good neurologist, who will support them through the pregnancy.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  7. laksravi

laksravi New IL'ite

Hi Tikka,
    Thanks a lot for your quick response. It will be really great if you can check with your relative and let me know. We aare planning to consult a neurologist next week. I'll wait for your response anyway.. Thanks a lot dear...

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Lakshmi, you were right - her meds have been switched not tapered off. But she does recommend Dr Chary and Dr KS for second opinion. She is also with Dr Chary for a second opinion and therefore has been put on a newer drug for her. Good luck with your appointment... fingers crossed it turns out well.

9. sreesai

sreesai Senior IL'ite

Dear Lakshmi,

You are indeed a brave lady. Hats off to you.

May god bless you and your family. I wish you a speedy recovery.

-Sree

10. laksravi

laksravi New IL'ite

Hi Tikka,
    Thanks a lot for checking it out for me. Atleast it has given me a confidence to go to the doctor and ask for an alternative drug. I'll update you after my visit. Thanks again.