1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

advice needed....

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ashravi, Sep 10, 2010.

1. LovemyFamily

LovemyFamily New IL'ite

Two options for you:
    I would say, start working towards the H1. It is a long process, and you might be eligible to apply for 2011 Quota which starts only in april 2011. Once your petition gets approved, you cannot start working until october 2011. That is a year from now. So i would say, just start the process.
    Secondly is your DH is filing for GC already then you would get your EAD within the next yera or so depending in what category he files it in. Till then enjoy the bliss and once your get your EAD strat looking for positions which are mutually convinient.
    The personally believe working is important, if not right after the wedding maybe a few years down the line.
    Till then cherish each day, You will never get back these again.

2. arbit

arbit Bronze IL'ite

I feel different from others, I thought that you should spend this time with your husband. My reasons are more emotional rather than practical - 'just after marriage' is an important / building block of marriage. If i were you i would have done that - because i think money can come at later stages of life( if one is qualified) , career will be slow but it can still exist but relationships are not easy to build. But ultimately decision will be yours and you have to decide based on your circumstances - what you think is more relevant having job or spending time with your husband.

3. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Simple....Give up the job offer and stay with your DH.

It depends on your personality. If you are practical, you will survive; If you are emotional, you will suffer. You have to decide now.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  4. schaitanya

schaitanya New IL'ite

My suggestion is go for job.I was also in the same boat last year.I took up a job in different city and have been meeting on weekends....

5. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

There have been two kind of responses. One set of people saying, you should take the job in the other city. The other set, say you have to stay with your hubby.

What I say is, only one thing. After a few years, you should not repent on the decision, you are taking now.

If you feel, the foundation of your relationship is more important than your career prospects , then you should choose to forego the job and stay with your hubby. (Then, after a few years, when stasis takes place in your relationship, you should not repent on, 'oh no, I should not have sacrificed my precious job, for this relationship, my sacrifince has gone unappreciated, blah blah.....stuff,)

If you feel, your career prospects are more important, then go to the other city and join the job. In this case, after a few years, you should not repent on, "oh, no, I should not have come to this other city for job sake. Now, the emotional distance between me and my man is so huge"

Define your priorities, clearly. And, then, act accordingly. You alone can choose the right thing for you, not us.

6. payalg

payalg New IL'ite

Take the job.

No job can lead to frustration, boredom, burden on husband to manage expenses, etc

Most importantly its easier to transfer H1 than getting a new one.

7. curiousmom

curiousmom New IL'ite

Take up the job. Since you are going to meet on weekends , you will thrive to see each other and enjoy every moment you spend.

You will get bored here if you do not work. Most men like if wife is financially supportive.

Getting an opportunity on H1 is difficult these days. Do not repent later. Grab it . Once you get converted to H1, you can try for the job in your husband's place.

8. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

I would say go for the job.These days it is difficult to get one without masters.I agree with the other poster who said no burden,no boredom.Ultimately it is upto u both.Boston is not too far from nj.Maybe you could see how it goes-6 months to 1 year or so and then decide.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  9. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

When I got married I was in a different city from DH - 2 hrs drive. We met on weekends. It was a good honeymoon period ... distance makes the heart fonder they say and that was so true ... we cherished each and every moment we spent together.

2 months later, I got a job in his city and moved into the house with him, .. and the honeymoon ended! we fought a lot since we are both strong minded people who like to do things our way. it took us a good year or 2 to adjust living together without setting each other off.

If you have worked before, I am sure you will find it hard to sit at home and do nothing. If you are unhappy then you will take it out on DH. So it's better to stay apart. Relationships develop not based on the quantity of time you spend together, but the QUALITY. Even if you meet just for weekends, you can develop a good relationship.

But if you are happy to take a career break, then go ahead and continue to do that!

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I am frankly surprised at the suggestion to prioritize working at the expense of living 5 hours apart. I wont say its wrong suggestion, but I am surprised.

Because I'd say its less of a deal later on, but in initial stages, I'd have imagined people wanting to spend more time to build a stronger relationship. Travelling multiple hours on the weekend would put a big strain (in my opinion).

Interesting to see diff perspective on that.