1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fresh start in middle age

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Ushie, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    Do you think a woman in her 40s who spent most part of her life as dependent hw can start a fresh life (seperated from H) that too with a kid in teenage. If you come across anyone (in their middleage) who started to live alone, developed a career, suceeded please share with me.( I am really struck, wanted to live atleast peacefully:drowning)

2. Preet82

Preet82 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ushie,

You have the right spirit,so you have already taken the first step.Everything else will follow.
    ALL THE BEST!
    Follow your heart

Love

3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Ushie,

Especially in US,anything can be possible onlu you need get right people and right resources and you just need to confidence to achive anything.You have a teenage girl and that's very good for you.You talk to her and she will teach you how to be confident and how to be selfsufficient.
    I saw in other thread that you start working.You still working?Crab the opportunity whatever comes on your way.Don't ever be shy to talk.Personally I dont know anyone but if you listen day to day news,you would hear and see amazing and inspiring stories.
    Somewhere I saw on the ABC News somewhere that the women shot by her husband on the face and you should see that women,she is confident and happy even she had 52 surgeries.So read some inspiring books,always have pleasent smile and you can acheieve anything.Be strong and bold.

4. SHS

SHS Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ushie
    I dont know if it will help you or not.But let me share this.sometimes we really need few encouraging words to come out of depression.When i was in 8th std i had one friend.Her father had throat cancer and he passed away.Her mother struggled a lot for treatments but nothing happened.Her husband was a renowned doctor n she just used to stay at home n i think she was just an Arts graduate.She must be in her 40's that time.

After 1 or 1.5 yrs she opened a small boutique.Struggled for years n now she has 3 boutiques here.Son is a pilot and my friend is a doctor now n happily married.

I hope it helps.

My prayers are with you
    Stuti

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  5. smilyface

smilyface New IL'ite

I know someone who pulled thru a situation worse than this. Her husband walked out one fine morning, leaving her with 2 small kids. She was a professional in India, but after coming here she did not pursue one. but she pulled thru, was able to refresh her career skills and she is on the right path. But she had the support of her parents and a few well wishers. I hope your financial situation is secure, but there are some organizations that counsel women in your situation. I know of one www.manavi.org. Good luck

6. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

My aunt lost her husband when she was 38, she had 2 kids in teenage then.
    Her DH did not leave her with a good bank balance or with good property around the city. All she had was some insurance money. Since she was a B.Sc graduate she started to look for teaching jobs, got a job and supported 2 kids somehow for 2 years and by then did her B.Ed and went to a better school with good pay. Then she finished MPhil and now doing Phd and working in a reputed college in Chennai as a Lecturer and earns very well. her son is now doing college in Australia and daughter is going to be married in Dec.

She is now in a good position in society. Has a small car, apartment and good lifestyle. So the only thing you need to succeed at any age is POSITIVE ATTITUDE. period.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  7. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Let me be frank. It is no easy task to be a single mom in her 40's trying to start fresh in life. It is HARD.

But... you CAN do it, and you CAN be happy.

I think the keys to it are... financial independence (meaning you must be able to support yourself), an emotional support network (friends, family, good neighbors), and a positive mental attitude (confidence in yourself, opptimism, belief that the future has good potential).

Don't compare yourself to a Jennifer Aniston movie, where she divorces one day, buys a pent house sweet in New York City the second day, and by the third day finds the new love of her life. Reality is much more slow... like a work in progress. So take things one day at a time, and celebrate the small milestones you accomplish. :thumbsup

8. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    thanks for all your encouraging words. I personally knew lot of strong women but my longtime dependency on my H and the abuse I am going through left me with very low self confidence. Priya, now I started to work for purely temp job which I accepted only to get outside exposure. The thought of living alone and able to support my daughter really scares me. In fact looking for a job and starting a career again is not new for me. I did that 3 times (b4 marriage, after marriage moved to different city, again moved to another state etc). But then I was young and had lot of energy and confidence. Now I am in a totally different country with different work culture and environment and I am really worrying about my energy and strength. Any way I will see whether I could able to cope in this job and I can able to learn anything and improve. I will write about me in detail in next post. thanks for all your suppport:)

9. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Ushie

I wont give you all hi funda inspiration talks because am sure we have tried our best to motivate several of our posters here...

But when you specify things like middle age...teenage..I have not understand what you want to potray yourself as...

Life is about taking one day at a time, taking that bold step and moving forward and making best out of every situation we come across. You cant just sit and plan and hear stories and decide things for your life.

You have to start making your own routine, your own life, your own goals and dreams, your own principles and rules and start with one at a time. There is nothing that a person cant acheive, if he wants to. If you are thinking about whteher to live separate or not...then ask yourself why you got that thought in first place (sorry didnt read your past threads). But if you already made a decision, take one step at a time and first start moving out by renting a apt and taking up a job and one by one handle things.

Initially its going to be difficult..yes for sure..but when you got married and moved to this country with your husband, wasnt it difficult? to please him..to ensure he is happy, to ensure everyone around you is happy, to ensure you wont make mistakes!! so think of those days...now if you start living separated, then also its going to start the same way..a bit scary, a bit worrisome, a bit anxiety etc...

10. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

QUOTE=SriVidya75;1399486]Ushie

I wont give you all hi funda inspiration talks because am sure we have tried our best to motivate several of our posters here...

But when you specify things like middle age...teenage..I have not understand what you want to potray yourself as...

Life is about taking one day at a time, taking that bold step and moving forward and making best out of every situation we come across. You cant just sit and plan and hear stories and decide things for your life.

You have to start making your own routine, your own life, your own goals and dreams, your own principles and rules and start with one at a time. There is nothing that a person cant acheive, if he wants to. If you are thinking about whteher to live separate or not...then ask yourself why you got that thought in first place (sorry didnt read your past threads). But if you already made a decision, take one step at a time and first start moving out by renting a apt and taking up a job and one by one handle things.

Initially its going to be difficult..yes for sure..but when you got married and moved to this country with your husband, wasnt it difficult? to please him..to ensure he is happy, to ensure everyone around you is happy, to ensure you wont make mistakes!! so think of those days...now if you start living separated, then also its going to start the same way..a bit scary, a bit worrisome, a bit anxiety etc...[/QUOTE]

Hi Srividya,
    Thanks for your reply. My post may sound like I am giving excuses such as middle age iinstead of taking steps to improve my life. I often used to post my problems here. Just to brief you about my situation, I am married for 16+ years, moved to US b4 9 yrs living with extremely controlling H and DD. My H had anger problems, and lot of issues due to his family background used to have issues at jobs often used to leave job (mostly due to his anger and other issues). Strangely first 5 yrs of my marriage I am the only person he used to behave well (he use to fight with even his mom). Slowly I could able to change him, tolerated his constant lies and made him study further(at that time I worked in India and supported him) and he got a nice job in US. After coming here in dependent visa his attitute towards me completely changed started to abuse me (physically and verbally), isolated me from my foo, no access to bank a/cs, etc (without any provacation from my side). when it got worse I took TPO and he moved out of house for few months. Due to immigration and other issues I accepted his request for reconcillation and he agreed to go for anger mgt and counselling. but after we joined again(much against my foo's advice) he refused to fulfill anything further accused me for the steps I took and now I lost my foo's support and my position is worst. Only success I have is I can able to stop physical abuse.
    The efforts I took to improve my situation are, I did volunteer work at nearby school just to improve my communication, did whatever free course I can attend (shortterm communication courses), I applied for a 2 year associate degree course in very demanding field at good institute my H refused to sign and I couldnt join. Later I started to work parttime from home to my H's friend's company for very less salary just to gain exp out of which my H will take 75%. Now My confidence and my health is very weak. One of my friend suggested that it may be due to my middle age and my learning curve might be slow. (Also I took a long break from working outside).

Now I dont want to waste my time. I can either put all my effort and fight for myself and my dd or I can accept my defeat and go back to my foo (we have a house and a family venture which I can look after in India). That means complete break from my H. I am so confused thats why I asked ILites about starting fresh at middle age. Anyway thanks for your thoughts and I hope I can able to survive.