1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Viral Rash

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sumanr, Aug 7, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hi all

DD had fever 2-3 days back and the paed prescribed calpol/P-125 etc. She was fine in a day and started her normal routine from yesterday.
    Today afternoon, I noticed red spots all over her body and took her to the paed again. He told me that the fever was a viral fever and this is a viral rash. No medication needed and that this will go away in 3-4 days.

From what I know, even measles, chicken pox etc are viral rashes and what DD has looks like a very mild form of it. Doc asked me not to and I haven't told elders about it.

Kindly share some tips on handling it. I have decided not to go to office (and spread it) and also asked my cousins, kids etc not to visit us for couple of days.

What can I do to make this easy. Can I give her a bath? Will it itch her? etc?

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Ramya - lots of non-specific viruses can cause a rash. I wouldnt do anything specific - give the paracetomol and lots of liquids. if there is itching then Calamine works well. it will be gone before you know it.

V.

3. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya, I have had that once, DD once, now DS, doc asked me to watch his skin too. Thats how viral fever shows up, these days :(
    Dont worry, it wont itch, you can give bath, i use pears face wash those days, just for my peace of mind. Elders would say its small pox, etc etc and rub lot of ash (viboodhi) on skin, i dont let them do that. Just a pinch in the forehead is enough, for their peace of mind. It will go away :)

4. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

ramya.. like i said i my wheat allergy thread, ds had a mild rash on his face too.. tiny red ones, along with puffed eyes. i thot it was coz of the new food i introduced the previous day, but doc said its coz he has had this viral attack. now he has bit of loosies and running nose. i think it ll go off by itself and others might not notice it too.

5. akshu02

akshu02 Senior IL'ite

DD had viral fever and rash followed..My paed told me that this is normal and would go away in 5-7 days time and it did. Pls do not worry much about it(as i did then) if your paed says that this is just a viral rash. I was so worried and upset and we did blood and urine tests for DD(poor baby) UNNECESSARILY when it didnt go away in 3-4 days...

We did give her bath once the fever came down and applied Calsoft(calamine lotion i believe). But i think the rash just goes away in a week's time(max) by itself without applying any lotion.

Take Care of urself and the baby :) Things will be fine soon

6. ajuma

ajuma Senior IL'ite

Hi,

last week our DS had diarrea, fever, he got very small red rashes on his neck, face and we again took him to pediatrician. He told tht its because of the viral fever n will go by itself withing 3days.
    so he s fine now, he did not give any medicines for rashes. It went by itself. so dont worry. just follow your pediatrician.

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya how is she now?

8. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Ramya, for the past two days I am seeing rashes all over DD's shoulders and lightly on the body as well.. I am hoping that this is also some viral rash and it will go away automatically... Not planning to take her paed now.. I applied calamine lotion..

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Pooh - Rashes are almost gone, but she is not able to eat at all :bowdown. THe moment I put food into her mouth, she tries to vomit with a ahh ahh sound (like we do when we have amouth ulcer or for spicy food). We are back to pureeing food now.

Vidya - Wait for a couple of days .... if it is with fever, then take her to the paed.

10. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Suman,
    How is your LO now??
    I got this problem when cherry got viral fever few months back. Once fever has gone, complete his body is fully with rashes including dry drandruff in his scalp too. It took really 3-4 days to get it lowered and took a week to completely go away.
    I thought this might be eczeme which again took toll on us, but these are just viral rashes which caused due to antibiotics probably. I believe these are not contagious true that Calak lotion works well on it.