1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Visu2k, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Wow, that is one earful. Glad, that you both go at lengths to explain each others position and that is better than being curt and misunderstood! We both too and it works well :)

Looks like your hubby has his opinions very much chalked out and it is good that he has a level head. So far as you both gel well and you are comfortable with his decisions that should not be a problem.

Let him know that listening to others opinions is way different than accepting them or applying in ones own life. I think, most folks here are intelligent enough to not blindly equate their own situation with others and use their wisdom to see if something is applicable to them too. And more often than not people come here to validate their perspective rather than looking for solutions. Sometimes there may not be a solution to someones problem, but still I am sure that he/she will end up listening to others opinions and realize where he/she stands with respect to others. It gives a perspective not necessarily a solution. And if not for anything, you know sharing happiness increase it and sharing sorrow lessens it.

2. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Update:

As most of you must be knowing, I have my own reasons for cutting off contact with my in laws (story here) and stopped talking with them for few years.

One evening, two days back, I found my wife talking to her mother on phone. Just before she was about to disconnect, I asked her to give the phone to me, she was shocked and confused and reminded me in muted tone that she is talking to her mother. I took the phone from her hand and suddenly started asking my MIL how is she doing and all. My wife was all the while stunned and didn't know how to react! My MIL said that she is happy that we both are settled together and living under one roof and I told her the same that we both are very happy to be together after so long time. All in all the conversation lasted for few minutes. After the call, my wife was very happy and hugged me tight. No talks and explanations whatsoever. She did not ask me the reason why and I did not tell her either. It was implicitly understood, that my intention was not to hurt her and her parents and it was just I did whatever I felt was right at that time.

I don't know myself why I did this all of a sudden. All this while I am also having thoughts of futility of keeping hurt forever and always yearned for a healthy relationship with my in-laws. Now that my in-laws are no more interfering in our affairs, I thought, it would be fair on my part if I put an end to this "no talking" thing. What mattered to me most in all this is, that this made my wife very happy and it took so little from my side! Yes, it took so little from me after all and I don't think I did anything so great to make her and her family feel so happy about this. Moreover, I am still cautious, not to overdo anywhere and let my guards fully down! If not for anything, I feel, it is a little change for better in our own relationship.

Yesterday, I also talked with her father, who too was so excited that I started talking with him again. :thumbsup

3. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

I really appreciate you Visu!

Did you realize this was what I wanted you to do thru my earlier post.

Am happy for you.

And yes....being cautious about not overdoing this is not a bad idea at all :thumbsup

4. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Aruna, I forgot to acknowledge but you are right that IL played a big role in all this. Posts like your's and my opening my feelings here (you know we males don't want to share any of such things even with parents unlike you ladies!) really helped me to overcome my feelings of hurt and anger. Not that I was unreasonable in my anger but that after sometime negative feelings won't make sense to hang upon!

Thanks to you and all other IL folks for lending a listening ear and for your unbiased advise! :cheers

5. pshanti1986

pshanti1986 New IL'ite

Dear visu2k,
    I am glad for you that you patched up with your inlaws and made your DW happy. I am sure she will appreciate this gesture throughout your married life.

6. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I am really happy both for you and your wife. I wish my dh learns something from you. He really tortures me with his attitude towards my family and he also prevents me to talk to them if he didnt like.

7. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Visu,
    This is like hearing myself talk! I hadn't talked to my mil in over a year from all the interfering she had done. But like you, I had always wanted a normal healthy relationship with my inlaws. Just today my mil has sent me a message asking how I am etc and I wrote back. And just like you, I'm making sure not to overdo it and not let my guard down.

With that being said, I'm glad I cut off contact because it made my mil see that me or dh weren't going to take the interference. So I was wondering, do you regret cutting contact from your mil for all that time, or do you feel glad because it has helped establish boundaries for your relationship with her? Just curious since I went through the same thing...

8. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Hey ASG, glad to know that you and I think alike. Yes, I used to read beautiful stories by Varalotti Rangasamy in which he used to share about the close and endearing relationship that he shared with his in-laws and used to feel how much his wife should be feeling happy about him. I always used to compare our own relationships with what he used to relate in his stories and used to feel jealous and unhappy.

I regret cutting contact with my in-laws, because I always wanted them (and my wife) feel happy whenever they thought about me. For whatever reasons, during our initial days of marriage, there were a lot of misconceptions on their part regarding me and my family and they were too protective of their daughter. They thought that they need to set me right.

I didn't have had any hope that my relationship with them will ever improve. But you are right, my cutting off contacts with them and at the same time do whatever it takes to make me and my wife happy, did help in the long run. I am glad that today, I don't nurse any hatred towards them and that helped me to spontaneously call them out. Sometimes only bitter medicines work!

9. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Ushie, I really prescribe your DH to read the forums here and especially stories from Varalotti sir. The stories really helped my own understanding of human relationships and ways to make myself and others around me happier.

10. swaram

swaram Senior IL'ite

Visu and ASG,

I had stopped talking to IL's and SIL for the past 2-3 years. Before that inspite of them ruining my marriage/peace of mind I would still talk to them every week because they are family thereby giving more room for them to mistreat me. Finally they have stopped interfering, but I am not sure if things will start again if I start talking to them normally. When my IL's visited us in the last 2 years, my talks with them were minimum and I have not spoken to my SIL once in these 2 years. DH does visit his sisters place once or twice a year with the kids. SIL has not visited us in these 2 years, before that she would visit us once every 2-3 months and stay for a few days/weeks depending on their schedule. Next month we will visting some friends and my SIL lives within 2 hours from there. My kids want to go there. If i tell this to DH, his response will be for me to decide.

I am not sure what to do. On one hand I would like to visit her, that will definitely make DH happy and I also sincerely hope she has changed after my direct blowout with IL's and SIL. On the other hand, if I give room will they (SIL and Il's) go back to the same behavior. I definitely would like to have good relations with family. If they start misbehaving again, I can be assured that DH will remain the same and will not put a stop to it. My telling them directly to stop interfering will have no effect, because thats their nature. I had tried that with them for several years after 7/8 years of marriage and since nothing worked, I had a complete blowout with his family after 10+ years of marriage and stopped talking. Another concern is I haven't spoken to her for 2 years, how awkward will it be to go to her place etc. Also in the past 2 years she has never made an attempt to talk to me either. Her calls are only to DH at work.

Any tips/suggestions are welcome. Do you think I should visit her during this trip?

Swaram

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010