1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can i leave my DS on vacation to India for 3 months

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sricharani, Aug 2, 2010.

1. sricharani

sricharani Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    My DS is 2 years old, I was thinking of leaving him in Chennai at my parents place when he is 2.5 years for 3 months for vacation. I am working mom so cant spend time 3 months at chennai. My mom and dad want to be with him very badly but since I have a sister and my dad is also working they are not able to come here and spend time with us.
    So I just thought why not leave my son for a vacation to my mom's place for 3 months. I plan to stay initially for 3 weeks with him so that he can get adjusted to the place and people. Note - He is not a shy type and likes to mingle with people.
    need all ur advise on whether this is a good idea and if it would work well.

Thanks

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

I too think of sending my son every year for 2 months to stay at both the parents house.
    He is 2.5 years old now and in two weeks my son is going with my husband to my inlaws house. I am joining them after a week to attend my brother's wedding.

As I have joined work recently, I do not have holidays at work. So the arrangement. I have daringly booked the tickets and I am bit scared what if he cries too much or something like that. Anyway If we do not try we would not know.

I do support the idea of sending kids to stay with grandparents for a while. It teaches them a lot and also a good break for them too. I would suggest sending him for a short trip before suddenly leaving him for 3 months

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Sorry posted twice by mistake. Do not know how to delete this post.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  4. priyaluvsbaby

priyaluvsbaby New IL'ite

This is my personal opinion...I will never leave my baby at anyone's place without my presence...I am a little extra careful person and I just cant think of leaving my kid anywhere...(my mom's or his).

When I went to india this jan..I had to be in the counsolate for a whole day for which I left him at my mom's...All the time I was just thinking about him and i just missed him so much...I had a surgery last year and I had to leave him to my MIL for a night because of that..I was so worried to leave him...I know that the grand parents will love him and give me equal affection..but for some reason I would be relaxed when having him around me...I work full time and I leave him in the day care...but I can see him every evening and play with him...But if u leave him in india..how can u feel them..no ways..NO--NONONONO....(This is how my15 month old says NO):biglaugh

5. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

Good question... I just did it with my child this summer. She was there for about 3 more weeks after we came back. I really took it as testing time. You know how they say..separation tightens bonding.. but are we doing it at the right time and age is the question??

I weighed the pros and cons and have come to a conclusion on if I will leave my child in India or not.. This is totally my opinion..

We went for a vacation this summer and decided that DD will stay back with rest of the family for the entire summer, so we booked one-way ticket for her. Reason - we had 2 different families travelling in different dates and we waited to see if she could withstand two months without us ( and us without her), if not bring her back in 3 weeks...

She took it very very well I should say, she thoroughly enjoyed her time with cousins, though only in the evening as they go to school...but....I could sense she was ready to comeback and she did..

We planned for the worst case scenario, before we decided she will stay back.

Well, I did not mention her age. She is 7- age where she can interact with family, know the people, communicate, but still is a small child who needs to be taken care of.
    She knew we will not be around if she needs us and has to listen to uncles, aunts and grandparents.

Ofcourse, I signed her up for a couple of classes - like handwriting, hindi and painting and that kept her occupied in the day while her cousins were in school. She learnt cursive this summer and enjoys writing it.

I could say she was missing me and so was I. But she is looking forward to going next year - again only for a short time..

From this trip - I concluded that she will make short trips until she's ready for the longer stay.

I have a friend of mine who's daughter is in India for the entire summer and says it is too boring there and waiting to meet her mom..

Here's my opinion:

It is good for kids to spend time in India, but you need to determine the timeframeand the age. 3 months looks like a bit too much for 2.5 year old. They need moms at this age. They cannot realise or appreciate grandparents and rest of the family at this age.

and for you, do you think you can survive that 3 months. I couldn't for 3 weeks...

Also not to mention, the weather, power cut and the villaneous mosquito bites..My DD came back with a lot of mosquito bites..

Just my opinion...

Goodluck with your decisions..

6. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

I think it is a great idea:thumbsup:thumbsup. Who will love her more than her grand parents form both sides. They do take extra care of the child. It will be nice if the child can spend time with both the grand parents.

Yes, they will spoil him, but so what? Grand parents and aunts and uncles are there for that.

I did leave my son with my mother in law and aunt long time back. He still talks about it after 30 years. He enjoyed the stay.

Enjoy the vacation.:cheers

7. sricharani

sricharani Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the great replies. It is certainly very difficult for me to be without him for 3 months, but I would say it's a kind of small sacrifice I m doing for my parent's happiness.. I just want them to also enjoy his play and his cuddly talks at this age. As I told already, they are not in a position to come and spend tme with him here, they always express that they wish to see him and spend time with him. As for my in laws they dont have commitments so they are ready to come and spend time with him here.
    I know 3 months is a bit long time for him, but just want to give a try. I just try to put him in some play school for 3 - 4 hours there so that he will not feel too bored at home...All this is still plans in mind, not sure how it's going to work....

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Do not worry Sricharani. He will be fine, he will be loved and pampered over there. It will take a bit of setting in time, he will have a great time there