1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should I tell my DH?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Looking4Advice, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

L4A,
    Tough to gauge how your DH will react but I can guarantee that it's going to a little hard on him. According to me, that's alright. He is taking up the responsibility of parenting a baby and from what you say is a mature guy. I would tell him exactly what happened and exactly how traumatized you were. I don't think any sane guy will hold it against you. In fact, you can tell him the reason you didn't divulge was because of your fear. Tell him clearly that you need his support and backing to get over it and the fear is life long. Tell him that you fear for your daughter and don't EVER want your daughter to go through what you have gone through. He will have stern boundaries, he may refuse to go stay at your parents place but seriously, do you WANT to take your DD to your parent's place? Will you be able to sleep there in peace? Are you even wanting to take that chance? I would thank my DH for not sending me there in the first place.
    And regarding hinting to him in other ways,you can try but unless he is told the exact reason for your fears he will not take it as seriously as he is supposed to.
    Btw, if it comes up in fights tell him that your Dad is a jerk and you don't want him to be the same. Seriously, even if it does come up in fights or bursts of anger, isn't it better than it staying hidden? As an adult, you can handle the chance of it coming up in fights, can't you? Put your DD ahead of you and that will tell you what to do.

Regarding your Dad changing and how he behaves around other adult women etc, I don't buy any of those arguments. Kids are easier targets. They can be conditioned for months or years by such people. The kid wouldn't even realize what's up.

On a totally different note, start teaching your daughter about the good touch/bad touch right from a very young age. Kids as young as two know to say "No" when they are touched in unwanted ways. I always talk to my DD about it and we started when she was two. We still talk about it. She knows what is good/bad. I've told her that NOBODY can touch her and invade her privacy(and here put in examples like even Dad and Mom can't do it), which will clearly give her an idea. Be upfront with your Kid. At this day and age, it's always advisable that kids(both genders) are aware of such things. Make yourself available to your DD, she should trust you enough to tell you even if it happens. I feel, your Mom failed you miserably here. I'm not sure what she was thinking. It takes guts for kids to go to their Moms about such things. Her first and foremost duty was towards protecting you. I think she didn't do what she was supposed to do in the first place. Anyway, bygones are bygones, no point in blaming her now. You know how tough it is and you can strive to be a better Mom. After all, we all learn from our parents mistakes and learn what "NOT" to do when parenting our own kids.

It's unfortunate that you are going through all this when you should be enjoying your pregnancy and the experience of motherhood. All I can say is, get it off your chest and then relax. Let your DH decide on how to handle your parents and their visit and cancel it if needed. You just enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and have a safe delivery.

Good Luck,
    L

2. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

For me it is plain nd simple...do not let your parents set foot into your home...Your mom did not do anything to protect you so how do you think she is going to protect ur child. U have been brave but at the same time i think u need to make a stand now. U have to tell them not to come and tell them why. U definitely need to tell ur dh.

I am surprised that u even asked this here! Do not become like ur mom who instead of protecting you kept quiet nd ignored your troubles. Do not feel bad with what i have written. It is for the best.

3. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

Sorry to hear about what you had to go through !!

regarding your q of whether your DH should know about your dad, wouldnt you want to know if god forbid your FIL had this issue? Wouldn't you want to protect your child from him then??
    Agreed hes your parent, but he broke all trust & parental responsibility when he did what he did to you.
    YOU DONT OWE HIM ANYTHING!! end of story!

The only reason you behave decently with him is to escape from the truth of what happened.. I am not blaming you here for that, because its how some people cope. i totally get it..

But now as a soon to be parent, you have your responsibility to your child.. you dont want to fail her/him right by putting the child at risk???

So try and chnage your parents plan.. dont let him come to your house for 6 mnths!1 that crazy when you yourself have styaed there a max of 1 week from the time you got out of that house!!

About telling your DH & what the outcome would be.. its pretty obvious right ? he would def want to cut ties from him.. and i think for the mental peace of you both about the safety of your future children, thats the best option!!

its going to be difficult for you, but do what is right for you as a parent! think of yourself in DH's shoes & act accordingly...
    Tk care!!

4. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Sorry to hear your story,dear!

Your dad should not stay with the kid alone.Period.If you can manage that it is well and good else just do not allow your dad to come to your house.

About telling to your hubby , I would say a big NO.
    • He will cut ties with your parents.
    • In future(god forbid) if he commits any mistake he will say "as if your family is great".Aand the thing which you and your hubby know , will be known by every relative of yours.
    • At every fight , you might have to hear "your dad" thing definitely.
    • All this lovely-dovely husband's actual face will be revealed only after few years.
    • In our society , as you already know , the victim is the one who will be treated like "sinner" and will be made to feel miserable.
    Just forget this and move on.But take care of your kid!Do not repeat the mistake which your mom did.

5. envymani2000

envymani2000 New IL'ite

What has happened to you is abuse - both sexual and psychological. It is very distressing and the trauma lasts long. You seemed to have done very well till date not only for yourself but to your husband as well.

Coming to the issue: You are pregnant. You are afraid that your dad will abuse your child. From his history, it doesnot appear that he is an infantophile. So rest be assured. But the greater risk is yourself.He knows that you have been quite all these years and he will be confident that you will remain so in the future as well. He will try to walk all over you again. So you take care and prevent his entry to your house in any foreseable future.

The bigger aspect is, if he has abused you, then he could have also abused, your siblings, cousins or neighbour's kids or women at risk in his vicinity. So potentially he is a risk to your neighbour's kids or other women. Is he still abusing in india? How do you protect others? So the best way forward is talk to your mother and let her know about the abuse and if she is cooperative ask her to confront your father and let her take necessary actions.. If she is bent of your father also travelling, then tell your DH. If he is cooperative, lodge a police compliant against your father and take legal course - you are doing this not to punish your father but to protect others at risk.

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Laks09 has offered fantastic advice - and right on the money.
    Just follow that suggestion.

7. seemaa

seemaa Senior IL'ite

Looking 4advice..

I do not have time right now to explaine but my advice is NOT TO TELL UR DH about it ...you have managed to handle the worest of the worest case so i am sure that you will be able to handle this too .....but I feel you need to tell ur dad when the two of you are alone that he should be ashamed of himself and that you are not telling anyone just because he is ur father otherwise he should know that only a devil will do such a thing but this time and in ur house he better keep his hands of oRRRRRRRRRR ....

8. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

post deleted

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  9. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

You have answered your question yourself. Yes, you simply must tell your husband. He deserves to know when a person who is so close to you (your father) can violate basic sense of trust.
    It doesn't look like you are looking at getting them to cancel their trip, after reading your earlier posts. In that case, it becomes even more necessary for your husband to know the truth. Why leave anything to chance?
    You and your daughter's safety is #1 priority. Period.

10. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

Bhuvindi has written it perfectly.

Its a man thing that they cant tolerate some one who has done such thing to their wife, any husband cant see such a person close to them ever again and a nasty scene would be created. Here the problem does not end telling to DH but another big set of problem starts. Be sure if you tell your DH now then your DH will cancel your parents trip. Life would not be the same any time after that for you.

Safeguarding your DD is your intention so cancel the trip of your parents yourself. I hope you are taking time in reading throught all the replies.

Become firm enough before things go beyond your hands and you might not be able to cancel your parents visit.
    the answer is NO as per me. As bhuvindi said "the victim is the one who will be treated like "sinner" and will be made to feel miserable."

Facing taunts from DH reminding of something that one wants to forget is miserable than what one had gone though during childhood.