1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

India visit coming up

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by tulipzz, Jul 9, 2010.

1. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

..and I am really really worried. Things were fine until yesterday. MIL and I were in 'barely' talking terms so my schedule was clear. Go to my parents place straight, and go to MILs place on the weekend for the function (they were planning some pooja)...

MIL called me yesday and said I should go to her place with DH, stay there until DH goes back and then go to my parents place. 10 days at each place... (parents stay 20 mins away from inlaws place)

It seemed like a ok deal. Fair enough.

But going by what happened between us, and having known them, I am damn scared she'll do something again this time. She will find reasons to turn DH against me... She is okay now. But its just a matter of time... and i am sure she has some plans up her sleeve... I am happy with the way our relationship is at the moment. Hi-bye. After taking so much crap, fights, arguments etc, something inside has died. I dont feel the same for her at all. I just dont want to be with her. Now, shez being nice to me by calling me home with her son... DH obviously thinks mom is being nice and trying to patch up.

I dont want to go. But she is not being unfair...what should I do???

I am just not interested in fighting...I am tired and sick of it. To be honest, I dont even want to visit my family. i dont want to go to India at all. DH and I have a happy life here. I dont know if the DH I see here or the DH I see in India is his true self. I am perhaps living an illusion here. But I dont care. I want to live this life and die soon. ASAP...

-Tulipzz

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010

2. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

if you dont want to go to india dont go. u can call your parents here if you wanna see them. otherwise its okay for you to go first to your parents , attend the pooja at inlaws and go back home. tell hubby that u will go to ur parents place first as u want to relax after such a tiring flight. u can go to inlaws place after couple of days.

3. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

India trips freak me out too although I'm not in 'bad' terms with in-laws. I just have a cordial relationship. I am planning one myself and it is so much anxiety - I can relate to you. I've promised myself that I'm never ever going to plan an India trip for the next 5 years. I too feel life is so much better for me and DH here. Planning this trip makes things topsy turvy for a few months.
    Coming to your issue, try to make some excuse and go to your parent's place. If that does not work then I would say go to your MILs place. Give her a chance. May be she is trying to be good with you,or may be not. Whatever it is , I think it is a wise decision to know what she is upto. For this, it is best if you are with her for a few days. If she tries to create problems then atleast DH will get the point clearly and will not want to take you with him ever to his parents' house.
    Good Luck

4. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

I would say that you could give your MIL one more chance. Just go there and check out how she behaves. Anyways there's not much between you and her, so there's nothing to lose.
    If you think all is well, good for you. If things are not going well, again, good for you, just go to your parents place. Both ways, it is a win-win for you!

Oh, but I'm totally with you on the anxiety part.
    I live in the US and we are going back to India for good early next year.....and my heart has already started beating fast! I feel the countdown has begun and am already a nervous wreck! It is easy to give advice but difficult to follow it ourselves.

If you are really really worried about going to India and if it is possible, then cancel your trip (but then DH would be upset right?) and get your parents to your home.

Anyways, good luck and keep us posted

5. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

I'd cancel the trip without a doubt if my baby was not in India. My mom came here in March and took her with her to India. I need to get her back . Thats the main reason I am going.

Me terribly upset that I have to go. I tried to make an excuse that by daughter is with my parents and i'll go to see her first. (yep MIL doenst take care of my daughter. She just gets her for a day or two and drops her back at my parents place)..so MILwent and got the baby n told me, now shez here, so you both come here straight.

Ok, I'll give her one chance. If you read my post on 'me and spouse' section, you'll knwo why I am so scared. My DH is a wonderful person here. He loves me a lot. But he changes completely as soon as he sees his mom. He talks bad things about me to them and kinda gives them entertainment. He loves to create a scene there for no reason. Travelling tomorrow. I am so tensed that I got up with a headache today. Lets see how it goes!!!

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

tulipzz,
    just relax
    since you have your baby there, just think that you are going to get her and go with a fixed agenda in mind. Don't allow your mind to wander with negative thoughts. In MIL's home too,just talk what is necessary.
    I've not read your previous posts but I can say that is fine if you can give her one last chance. If she messes up this time, then is the last time you will be going to her house! Be positive and go ahead. You are going to see your baby and parents too. Think of all that and be happy.

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens there

7. sweetmommy

sweetmommy New IL'ite

wow..You are going to india...I think you should be really happy and not so tensed..Come on..think of what all good things you get to enjoy there..Dont let you MIL ruin your trip..aaww..your girl is there...how nice to see her after long time...just do your work and If DH behaves differently just go to your mom's home and enjoy the time you get with your parents..Dont care about anything...I know it is easy to say this..but might be difficult for you..Just have yourself prepared in a possitive way...after all it is life and we should not waste one single day living in stress...stay possitive and be happy..everything will turn out good for you...But just give DH some heads up that if you are not happy in his home then you will go to your mom's home..

Hugs..

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Sorry - you are living in a BUBBLE. Your DH cannot be a wonderful person if he "changes as soon as he sees his mom". If he truly loves you, then he will be fair even when his parents are around. Is that real love if he will only love you when in UK, and will change when parents are around!?

In my opinion, the problem lies with your DH more than with your MIL. If the DH is stable, you wont be running into this issue. I see people blaming their inlaws and saying DH is all lovey-dovey, when infact DH is the main cause by not standing up.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  9. Renu1999

Renu1999 Bronze IL'ite

only thing we can do may be pray together .Let us all pray whomever wish to go to their parents home first should be able to fusllfill their wish.

I think after boys parents get upper hand . girls parents dont have any upper hand. All their efforts bringing the child,educating them all go in vain when their daughters get married. But for boys parents everything will pay off. Let this sick society change. Whatever happens I wish all MIL who want to mess up with India trip will get bad results. And DIL wishes will come true.

10. AS1028

AS1028 New IL'ite

Hello Ladies!

This is a late response to your thread. Hope your trip to India went well.
    I can empathise with you very well. my inlwas have really mistreated/ disprespected my family and me over these 9 years. My MIL has defiled my father who is no more ( she stooped to that level)
    she created so many issues when i visited during my father's death!!
    she & her husband were most hurtful and humiliting - they did not let me grieve properly...she even accused me of using my dad's death as a 'trump card' to stay with my mom and brother!! yes! unbelivable
    my india trips have always been the most stressful and chaotic becasue of one lady - MIL. she has wrecked my ( & my family's) peace of mind,she is the most cunning and manipulative lady i've ever known.
    To top it off my DH is an apple of his momma's eye.
    i had a baby yr ago and i have decided not to visit india in few yrs as my mom, brother sil visited us and in ( outlaws) visited us to burden me with more work they did not give me an opportunity to recover from my emergency c-section!!
    i was busy tending their needs over my son's and mine!

i can empathise with y'all who are in similar situations.
    i get frustrtated to think about india trip - i despise it!, its my home country but too many bad expereiences with inlaws have left me feeling bitter....

if you get an opportunity to have your parents over - that would be great! they can spend the quality time here...

Good luck!
    ciao