1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Starting solids: 4-6 months

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. vidhyarohini

vidhyarohini New IL'ite

Hi all experienced moms,
    I am a new mom and my son Gowtham is 3 1/2 months old. He takes BM alone all the whole day. Sometimes my secretion is getting low. In those times, I give Lactogen stage 1. But my Paed is asking me to continue on BM itself. What shall i give now at this stage? Suggest me with some ideas.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sreevidya, at this stage it has to be ONLY bm , or formula. Breastmilk wld be easy on stomach.the more u latch ur baby the more u produce.for somereason if u cant exclusively breastfeed him give formula. NO solids pls. start solids nearing 6 months, and no sooner than 5 months!

3. minivara

minivara Junior IL'ite

Sreevidya,

I agree with loonypooh. My son is a week short of six months and he is exclusively breastfed. I know it is frustrating at time when BM supply dips low and it has happened to me around the time of my period. as long as your baby is active and is growing consistently (mebbe over or under weight to other babies..always compare to ur baby's previous weight and not with other babies), try not to give formula. My ped gave me the green signal for solids when my lo turned 4 mos..but also mentioned that the longer we wait to introduce solids, the lesser is the risk of obesity as they grow. i found a link explaining this ..

Waiting on baby food may trim obesity risk | BabyCenter

Eating oats daily, drinking 2 / 3 cups of "mothers tea" daily and pumping in between feeds helped re establish my BM supply. When he was 3, I fretted abt the decline in supply and was all ready to yield to soldis..but pumping, oats and tea definately helped me. O yeah, also dont stress....u ll be fine.

enjoi ur little one

minivara

4. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

My DS is nearing 5 months old and i have already started baked apples, mashed banan and also mixed fruits from milupa. i am giving this alternate days.
    he likes to have solid foods. i want to know whether i can start to give him sweet potato or moongdal water this week.
    If yes, please tell me at what time i can give him and how many times/day.

5. vidhyarohini

vidhyarohini New IL'ite

Hello Loonypooh and minivara,
    Thanks for your reply. I take your advise and will put him exclusively on BM. One thing is, though he is taking only BM, he has constipation and not regularly pushing out his stools. He do that once in 2 days or 3 days. I have tried giving raisins extract with lukewarm water and tummy massage also. But nothing works out. really worried about that!! :bonk

Minivara, what is this "Mother's tea", where shall i get that from? Am taking oats as porridge, will that help me?

Awaiting ur reply :)

6. vidhyarohini

vidhyarohini New IL'ite

One more question, he loves to roll over here and there. Since 2 days he has started to lie on his tummy. While he is on his tummy, he vomits the milk he had and it looks like curd. any remedies?
    thanks for ur kind reply :bowdown

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sree,
    did u know breastfed babies can go without pooping for 1 wk? that does not mean ur baby is constipated. infact there is no need to give him raisin water or anything until u start solids and he actually is constipated.
    grunting, turning red in face, trying to poop, all these babies do, even if they are not constipated. so do not worry if he isnt pooping everyday. at ur babies age mine pooped once in 3 days.
    about his spit ups, i suggest dont put him on tummy for sometime after he is breastfed. keep him upright for a while after u burp him.... if possible carry him in a sling for a while. then u can lay him down, once the milk has settled down.
    small amount of curdled spitups are also normal for small babies, u must worry if he actually vomits the whole thing out as such.
    spit ups will reduce as he grows, and disappear one day altogether. nothing special needs to be done :)

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

about mothers tea, its a kind of natural galactagogue. u dont get these in india. but there are other galactagogues u can try, u get these lactare capsules and granules at pharmacies , take that.
    or take himalayas shatavari tablets.
    have oats regularly. if u have a breast pump, u can use that to up ur supply.
    other things like warm shower before breastfeeding, warm washcloth compress help.

hope this helps

9. minivara

minivara Junior IL'ite

Hey vidyarohini,

sorry about the late reply. somehow I miss the updates. Mother's tea is a herbal tea by Traditional Medicinals with ingredients that promotes lactation. Its also organic. Heres a picture of it

Buy Traditional Medicinals Organic Mother's Milk, Tea Bags Online at drugstore.com

with regards to rolling over and spitting up milk - yeah, my son does that a lot. He loves to roll over and is perpetually flying! (balanced on his tummy, he raises and hands and legs). the only thing i try and do is to hold him in a sitting position or carry him for atleast 20 mins. i do not strictly follow this though :( a bit of spit ups is ok and always remember that, it seems more coz its mixed with saliva and is curdled.

hugs

10. marrgg

marrgg Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

My boy will be completing 6 months.Our Paed has given green signal for semi solids. This is what she advised.

Equal proportion of Boiled rice+Sago, Fry in a pan and powder. Mix with water and prepare a porridge. She asked me add milk and sugar, but i am adding BM and giving. He takes 2/3 spoons and then cries.

Have anyone tried this porrigde.

Regards

Rani

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010