Schools in chennai

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by jothi, Dec 2, 2006.

1. meenabala

meenabala New IL'ite

Hi,

We have decided to move from US to Chennai in June/July. My biggest worry is, will I be able to get admission for my Ten-year-old kid for V std CBSE schools in and around Tambaram. Three years ago, before moving to US, he was in II Std DAV Public Velacheery.

I heard that the school admission normally starts in October for the next academic year. Here are my questions – Moms please help me! :drowning

· Can I get admission in July?
    · What is the best CBSE school in and around Tamabaram to Velachery, by considering my case? Not sure, I have several choices here. Any similar experience – please share
    · How to manage second language problem? He knows only alphabets and words in Tamil – not upto the standards of regular V Std kid
    · How much donations would they demand? Any approx – this will help me to plan my budget

Thanks in Advance for reading and answering!

Regards,
    Meena

2. lax2009

lax2009 New IL'ite

Schools closer to Porur

I had posted a general email a month back and did not get any reply. At that time I was not sure of which area we were looking at.

Now we know that my husband's company is in Porur. From the internet we found St Francis International School and Lords' International School as possiblities. Any review on either of them? I was not looking to traditional schools as they are all filled up their spots already and we are coming a month later than this school year starts. I am planning to research traditional schools once I am there for next year may be.

Also how is availability of extracurricular activities for kids around Porur - like bharathanatyam, music, swimming classes etc?

Is there a better suburb closer to Porur? My husband will be travelling a lot, so proximity to airport is also important. We are trying to live closer to school so kids do not have to commute as it is a daily routine.

Thanks in advance,

Lakshmi

3. ss2009

ss2009 New IL'ite

Hi Ums,

sorry i hv not been in touch here for a while. so why did u choose sunshine and not AVM? I am trying for sisya in OMR.

4. Ums

Ums Senior IL'ite

Hello SS,

From the discussions in IL and from my friends, heard AVM admission is very difficult. Hence cannot rely upon only AVM. Heard good reviews on Sunshine school and the infrastructure was also good. Hence decided to enroll my daughter there. No other specific reasons.
    Did you get admission in Sishya?
    All the best!!

Cheers
    Uma

5. bmpr2india

bmpr2india New IL'ite

Hi,

Can someone tell where these Sunshine and Shisya schools are in OMR? Are they both Montessori schools?

thanks
    BMP

6. su.rekha

su.rekha New IL'ite

Sishya school near DB jain college next to thoraipakkam toll.
    And sunshine in mets to st Thomas mount newly constructing road in velachery.anyone to sishya gem velachery.my son is studying in sishya omr

7. stella_cb

stella_cb Junior IL'ite

Hi Uma,

Do provide your feedback about Sunshine. About Teachers, Interaction with Kids and Parents, Teaching and Extracurricular Activities etc. Based on the feedback I would like to shift my daughter (is in Ist Std in Akshayah) and also Enrol my Son (attending Play School now) for the next academic year. Thank you.

8. ramsi95050

ramsi95050 New IL'ite

My younger one goes to LKG in Sunshine Montessori and older one goes to 4th grade. Its just about a week but kids seem happy and we like it so far. There is a meeting on Sat with teachers after which i will have more info. Tennis, Skating , cricket, Music, Yoga etc were mentioned as activities for kids.

9. stella_cb

stella_cb Junior IL'ite

Hi ramsi95050,

Thank You very much. Keep posting your feedback, kids' experience and also on the coaching for various activities. I wanted my kids to be in CBSE and a school with good play ground. But we didn't have much options when we got admission for my daughter in 2008. Now there are so many schools with CBSE in Velachery. So we are thinking of shifting. Your valuable reviews will be of great help.
    :thankyou2:

10. Ums

Ums Senior IL'ite

Hello Stella,

My apolgies for a late response. I delivered baby girl this month and hence was not able to find much time to drop in IL with two kids around.
    As Ramsi said, so far so good. My DD is kinda 80% comfortable going to school. She is into Pre-KG this year.
    We will definitely post our feedback on the school once things get settled.