1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Mistress of spices

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by cheer, Jun 20, 2007.

1. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Hi there,

Anybody read this book by chitra banerjee, good story line-

The novel follows Tilo, a magical figure who runs a grocery store and uses spices to help the customers overcome difficulties. Tilo provides spices, not only for cooking, but also for the homesickness and alienation that the Indian immigrants in her shop experience. In the process, she develops dilemmas of her own when she falls in love with a non-Indian. This creates great conflicts, as she has to choose whether to serve her people or to follow the path leading to her own happiness. Tilo has to decide which parts of her heritage she will keep and which parts she will chose to abandon. The novel was made into a movie.

Do let me know the feedback.

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Cheer,

i watched this movie Mistress of Spices starring Aishwarya Rai, it was good but one thing i wonder she was dealing with spices only but she comes to know about the near furture possibilities.

bye
    padma

3. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi
    i read the book but forgot the ending. will u tell me? i think she gets married and still has her power. right?

bye

4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

well i didn't read the book yet that's why i'm asking everybody feedback.

5. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

Hello friends

I have not read the book, but have seen the movie. Its a

1 person likes this.
  6. Naveena

Naveena New IL'ite

Hello friends,

I have seen the movie, but havent read the book. Its a nice movie. I learnt about a few nice spices, which I didnt know earlier!!!

Enjoy reading.

Veena.

7. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi,

in the movie when Tilo finds out spices are getting angry and there is no result when she helps people with spices everyone getting angry on her and her pakistani friend got hurt by someone as she comes to know abou this earluier. that time she was attracted to eng man, but she decided to change her way. she wanted to leave for india then she wanted to have one night affair with eng man and she goes with that man after one night affair she left that man alone without saying anything and went to her spice shop. she sees in the spice shop all spices spoiling drying then she break all the jars and shop catches fire. then in the morning eng man comes to her at shop and saw her lying in destroyed shop, she manges herself and decided to be only with spices. next day all her friends to whom she gave spices came to her and said her spices are effecting their life positively and they were happy with her work. she than ked spices. last two min movie i couldn't watch.

bye
    padma

2 people like this.
  8. dprasantha

dprasantha New IL'ite

Hi I have read the book but did not see the movie. I must say that I found the book and story interesting. I loved the way the language was so simple yet penetrating. But yet, there was something missing and a little too abstract at times. Still I enjoyed it and beleive that the author is very good. Her style is unique.

The story is also off beat. Makes you realise there is so much to learn out there. ANd one can alwaysask questions like: is love worth anything? what of her knowledge, will she pass it on? and what is life all about?

Alovely positive book, but necessarily a "feel-good book". :)

9. Navpreet

Navpreet Senior IL'ite

I had seen the movie starring Aishwarya rai,story line is really good but due to poor acting skills,movie was a major flop.I thnk u shuld read it as i told u storyline is good for romantic story readers.hope u will enjoy it!