1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

h4-h1b

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by tulasich, Apr 30, 2010.

1. tulasich

tulasich New IL'ite

hi all,

Im having exp. in sap and im recently shifted to us..
    im plannng to do work in sap..

so i approached h1b sponser,but im not having knowledge on wat needs to be discussed wid him regarding salary,benifts etc....

could anyone explain me on
    1) how much salary i can expect-----what is meant by %based sal???
    2)benifits i need to ask????

im having nil knowledge on these things.....

plz clarify my doubts....

thanks
    tulasi

2. sprasanna

sprasanna Senior IL'ite

Hi tulasi,

Here's some information that may help you the next time you talk to an H1B sponsor/consulting company.
    The sponsor/company files an H1B visa for the consultant (that is you) and places you at client( like google,yahoo,cisco,best buy,wellsfargo etc) site for work. The companies can pay you either a fixed salary ( eg USD 75000 per annum) or % based salary. The % based salary works like this : The client is paying $65/hr (called billing rate) for you. Multiple that by 2000 hrs = $130,000 per annum approx. Now if your sponsor is giving you 80/20 that means you get 80% of that 130000 and sponsor takes 20%. In this arrangement the taxes are borne by you, most sponsors also say the medical expenses are borne by you too. You get paid by how much you are billing ( ie your billing rate). In the fixed salary system , the company/sponsor pays you the monthly salary after deducting taxes.

The things you must ask the company are :

1. Whether they pay fixed sal or its % based. Whats the percentage that they give the consultant (you) ?

2. what is the medical policy ? Does the salary include medical benefits or do they give it seperately ? How much? Most probably there wont be a medical policy :(.
    3. What is the bench policy and whether they pay you when you are on bench? The new law is that you are to be paid the same salary on bench as you were when on project. Be careful as some companies say you have to run your own payroll if you are on bench. That means you pay the company to run your payroll ! Please remember that to maintain your H1B status you should be drawing a salary/pay stub each month. So the system is open to a lot of abuse.

4. Vacation days/time off in an year apart from the calendar holidays?

5. Are they going to fund the visa or you have to do it? How much is teh cost ? Is it refundable once you start working and by what time ? Is there a contract to be signed and for what duration ? It may an year long or 18 month . depends.

some other things that I have come across while talking to companies :
    They may want to "fudge" your resume to add more experience or some false experience info - Its upto you if you decide to go ahead with it and can carry it off. personally, I do not favor it and hence have decided not to file my visa with thm.

Are they going to market you and then file for visa once you clear interview and get offer letter from client ? Or are they going to file it with a dummy letter ? The latter may/may not pass scrutiny with the USCIS. Please be sure as its your money ( arnd $3000) thats at stake here.

There is another thread '2010-2011 H1B sponsers list' in this sub-forum. You might wanna check that out see what the companies have told various visa seekers (including me :) ).

all the best.

3. tulasich

tulasich New IL'ite

hi Prasana....
    it was very help full..clarified all my doubts..

Thankyou
    tulasi

4. jullysabat

jullysabat New IL'ite

Hello Tulsi,

Even I am interested in filing new H1. Currently I am in H4 status.
    Can you please tell the contact details of the consultant so that I can get in touch with him and talk with him regarding filing new H1.

Thanks in Advance.
    Regards,
    Jully.

5. jullysabat

jullysabat New IL'ite

Hello Prasanna,

I am interested in filing new H1. Currently I am in H4 status.
    Can you please tell the contact details of some consultants if you have so that I can get in touch with him and talk with him regarding filing new H1.

Thanks in Advance.
    Regards,
    Jully.