1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

in deep trouble after mil's visit

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sandu, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Dilchahtahai

Dilchahtahai Senior IL'ite

Dear Sandu,
    I am new to IL and I see that you have already gotten a lot of advice on this forum. One thing I would say at the risk of being perceived negatively.
    Everyone on this forum is going to advice you based on what you post here. No body knows your hubby's side of story ( Not saying that his story is true or justifiable in any way.. but if he comes on this same site and says his wife does not respect his mom and does not take care of her and is rude and emotionless, I am sure some folks here would advice him things against you.)
    So with that in mind, I would like to say:
    (1) You guys need to go for counselling ( I agree with all those who posted here you both need to keep your marriage above all relationships and you need to keep your finances independent of others)..When you are having a little bit of peace at home or when your hubby talks to you about this matter, ask him to go to counselling with you. IF he says its a waste of money, tell him you would pay for it. Tell him in no uncertain terms: If he wants to save this marriage, he would have to go to counselling and work with you. If not, tell him staying in this relationship would affect your dd bad and you would liek to get out with your DD.
    (2) NEVER leave your job because someone tells you to do that.. That may be the only thing which could save you.
    You said he does have his sane moments and has never hit you. That looks like a positive sign to me. I would not advise you to wakl out of the relationship but if it requires you to bend a little and broach the topic of counselling with you husband, please do so. I don't know how you are managing to work.. It is so hard to work if your mental condition is like this.
    Bottomline is: have patience and hvae your self respect. Stop crying now, be strong and tell your hubby you have taken enough abuse and want to find a solution that works for both of you. And it would not be one sided solution for sure and so both of u need to see counsellor..

2. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Yes, I agree with you Dilchahtahai.

I think this forum is like a hospital. All the patients can keep talking about their own sickness and suffering, there are well wishers also that will chime in, however you need to meet with the doctor to actually get it cured.

I do not think that marriage counselors are miracle workers, however they have the added advantage of seeing both points of view and recommending something that works for your unique personalities and situation.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  3. cheenikum

cheenikum Junior IL'ite

Moderator: Please do not pick on other members! If you have anything specific pls do report that post.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
  4. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

I think we need different points of view for a discussion to be productive. As long as the opposing point of view is not presented in a disrespectful manner, it is good.

5. Peperoncino

Peperoncino New IL'ite

BeeAmma, Dilchahtahai,

According to OP, her husband is refusing to see a counsellor as he sees nothing wrong in his behaviour, and feels the OP is the root cause of all the problems. Unless there are ways to convince him to see a counsellor (maybe you have ideas, but just remember, as one poster pointed out, he reports everything back to his parents, and is influenced by their take on events), I think in this situation, it is just as important for the OP to go on her own first, for the sake of maintaining her sanity and mental strength. Perhaps it will also help her to understand/examine her own reactions/behaviour i.e. why she is putting up with and tolerating the abuse in the first place. (IMO)

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Yep totally agree:cheers.

7. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Peper

From what I could gather, looks like OP works only 8 hours per week.

I highly doubt that she is going to be able to sustain herself and her child (rent, childcare) and deal with the pressures of being a single parent and work pressures. That too in the current economy in the US.

Another option would be for her parents to keep her for a few months so that both individuals cool down. Distance and timeouts can cool down people.

I am still trying to understand the root causes for this state of OP
    1. She wants to work and her husband does not want her to
    2. Her mils tendency to histrionics
    3. The fact that she has a separate bank account

Why is her husband so insecure about letting her work?
    Why does he still think that his parents make more sense compared to her?

OP has mentioned quite a few times that her husband is actually quite caring towards her and that he is willing to see the responses others give to her thread on this forum. So looks like at some level he cares for her and is willing to look at different perspectives to his wives situation.

OP is in an highly emotionally charged state so I will not blame her for citing her perspective of the events.

But people who give her advise should have some basic curiosity to look at the other perspective before passing verdict.

8. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

I am overwhelmed by so many replies, dear ILites.

Thanks for the letter idea, pingme and mstrue. Am considering that too now.

mstrue, I appreciate your views too, although you belong to the minority. Again, I would like to say that I dont think my in-laws will swindle the money. That is NOT my worry. My concerns are - I am not comfortable with some of their spending and saving decisions, I have very little idea of what they do (my husband too has limited knowledge), what would I do in an emergency here? I feel like an unpaid servant sometimes - when I dont have control of what I earn too. That is why I decided to withhold my salary here in US in my name. I appreciate the faith you have in your in-laws. My husband has also given a POA to his father for the house (as several people probably do). I have no problem with that; and I am also ready to give a POA for a specific purpose like that to my fil in future. I would probably not hesitate to do that. But all they suggest doing is - they will forge my sign to get FD's (in my name) that mature!! When I do WANT to trust them, something like this happens and that troubles me more. I hope, as you say, I find better ways to communicate my feelings to DH.

Dear Tugga, I am touched by your elaborate replies. I keep re-reading them to imbibe the crux of it. Thanks for all your suggestions. I intend to try your soft words to my own husband in making him realise some things.

Peperoncino, as it is, yes, my job is dependent on his visa.

>You also keep repeating that you insisted and succeeded in maintaining a seperate a/c for your salary and that you demand in continuing to work. Perhaps he sees these and other things unknown to us & between only two of you as evidence of your dominating him. I am not saying that you shouldnt work & you shouldnt maintain a seperate a/c, thats between both of you. But I think one thing you can definately do is perhaps analyze whether he feels powerless & empty with you due to which he is resorting to these disharmonious tactics.

Aditya, yes. That is how he started seeing it after his mother's visit. Till then, it was sort of ok.

I transfer him XXX dollars monthly as we agreed for monthly expenses and I also email him my bank statement to "prove" that my salary is safe in my name only (whether he views the statement or not I dont know). Still, it is a big sore point with him that I dont allow him to manage my salary as I used to before and send it to his father. He tells me I dont trust him or his parents. What's the point in blindly trusting when we have very little left here for emergency and very little knowledge of the remaining?

>To begin with, I think you need to re-evaluate your understanding of how you think he perceives your behavior with him. Develop an action plan on how to make him see sense based on that.

He does perceive my behavior as atrocious. (although he is not justified in his views). Still, that is how he views me. I m running short of subtle tactics to prove my intentions to him... talking, mailing, etc. dont do the job. How else can I convey the message that I dont mean harm?? Please suggest. I have already told him that in future, my goal is to get rid of my separate account and reroute my salary to our joint account (once we are in charge of our finances). After all, that is how it was before. I am completely ok with my husband's own spending. In fact, we are so much in sync when it comes to buying things for our household in US. Saving is the only problem.

>You said above that you did everything that led to your current problems based on Indusladies advices. Perhaps, you need to stop asking questions here, or start taking advices here with a pinch of salt & form your actions based your relationship with your husband, one of the two.

I didnt blame IndusLadies. I took the decisions after careful retrospection of various people's views and advice, not just blindly implementing what everyone said. I also had private conversations with some senior members and I dont regret my moves. Yes, it is true that some of my moves caused a jolt in my relationship, but sometimes, it is necessary to take the plunge. At least, now, my husband knows my concerns. That is better than me being a dumb spectator and leaving everything to chance. Aditya, I appreciate your lateral view.

Srividya, unfortunately, he does view it as a power struggle. I really dont mind giving in to some of his ego. As you said earlier, I should give in somewhere and take something elsewhere. Even if he says that he will save my salary in OUR names jointly, not involving my in-laws, I am fine with that. I trust his intentions 100%; he is not going to run away with my salary. Involving his parents in everything is what I dont want. Sadly, he refuses to see my point.

Dilchathahai, my hubby's side of the story brands me a money-minded wife, an uncaring mom and a rakshashi of a dil, thats exactly what he has complained to my parents - all the things I wrote in my first few posts - that I mistreated his mother, didnt respect her, let her go hungry, bla bla bla. It is a wonder WHY he was a silent witness to all my supposed mistreatment. All this has dawned on him only after his mom went to India and started cribbing about me again! Anyway, he has a lot of complaints about me if at all he agrees to meet a counsellor.

BeeAmma, I can go to India; my parents have been asking me to come there for a few months. It is I who am refusing to go. I have never thought of separation and how to support myself in case I live separately. Probably, my boss will give me a full-time job if I request. But, I DONT want to live apart. Believe me, I only had more sorrow living apart last time around, and I feel that it is better to fight the battle living WITH him. Moreover, as I already said, my daughter is facing a lot of issues adjusting to her playschool which is just for 2 times a week now. I can certainly not leave her at daycare if I stay apart. As it is, I have to hang around on 2 days per week at her playschool still. That is the biggest setback for us. if DD had adjusted to her playschool long back, I would not have had so many problems working.

> Why is her husband so insecure about letting her work?
    Hmmm... he does not like me being independent. It was fine as long as i worked and gave him my salary. Now, even if I show him my own separate bank statement, he shuns it and feels I have crossed the family rules. All hell broke loose when my mil came to know that I have my own bank account. He started discouraging me little by little when I opened my new account, and started vehemently opposing when his mom started supported him after her arrival.

Thanks to all once again.
    Sandhya

9. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

BeeAmma,

Something tells me it's not Sandu's husband that has a problem with her working, since she said he's the one who originally encouraged her to get a job. Rather, I think his parents got bored one day and decided to find a new issue with which to cause trouble between them, and hence latched on to her job. And from what I've come to understand, when Sandu's inlaws put an idea into her dh's mind, he makes it his mission to carry out their demands, whether he believes it's right or not.

I don't think he's insecure about her earning. I think he's simply hell bent on following his parents orders down to the T, and gets crazed when something prevents him from doing so (i.e. Sandu saying 'no').

I bet deep down inside he knows Sandu makes a lot of sense... but if he were to openly admit that, it would mean he'd have to start making his own decisions and relying on his and Sandu's intelligence. And I think that scares him. I think he is afraid of change, because his whole life he has relied on his parents... and wouldn't know what to do without them micro-managing his life. Basically he is lacking self confidence, and when Sandu challenges him, it makes him face his own inadequacies. On some level he probably realizes he is wrong, and hence has read our replies and considered an alternative view, and maybe in the privacy of his own mind has ACCEPTED ours and Sandu's view.... but is too terrified to actually verbally spell out that his parents have been wrong. I think he is terrified to face his mom. So instead of risking her wrath, he does everything possible to stay on her good side, even if it means degrading and traumatizing Sandu. I don't think he wants or misses a healthy loving relationship with Sandu.... because he probably doesn't even know what one is. His parents have basically raised a boy trapped in a man's body.

10. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

ASG, good Lord! You could not have put it more aptly. That is exactly what I feel too.

One day, my husband tells me, "Go to work tomorrow morning and come by 11:30. I ll take care of DD." Another day, he says he cant co-operate. He is swinging this way and that. Internally, he does not want me to give up my job (as that is what I desire and we get bucks anyway for it), but is fine with it if I give it up yielding to pressure, as that is what his mom desires. You hit the nail on the head, ASG, yet again.

I really pity him - he feels trapped n between us. I will surely help him if he opens out to me. In fact, I tried to console him when he was sulking 2 days back. But every time, I approach him, I have to overcome the fear that he will again start blaming me. He is so unpredictable. He did remain calm that day when I consoled him, and I felt things are improving between us. But, he kept mum to me and the next morning, when I was at work, he called my parents and complained and shouted to them.

Now, something unforeseen has happened. He has come back from work, complaining of giddiness. he feels run down. I suspect he has been reading this thread at work. I may be wrong. But, he appears all shaken up and more caring to me... dont know how long it will last. He feels sick and so, I asked him to go to bed and have postponed talking about counsellors or anything. Anyway, tomorrow is his first day at the new job, and I dont want to spoil his mood in the morning. Better wait for a while.