1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Craving for Recognition

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Radheshyam, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Radheshyam

Radheshyam Senior IL'ite

Do you ever crave for recognition? I am not talking about praise, name and fame but recognition. A gesture that would make you feel accomplished. Everybody wants to be successful and accomplished in life. According to my view, it doesn't mean that you have to be CEO of a company or President of a country or life-saving doctor to feel successful. It all depends on what you do and how it is received. A mother feels a sense of accomplishment if she hears someone tell her that she has raised her child well. It is a moment of pride, an assurance, and recognition. A teacher feels that successful not when his/her student becomes a highly educated, highly paid professional but when one of her student meets the teacher, gives her due respect and spends a few minutes talking about his/her class years after they have passed out of school.

You can claim success only if you are recognized. I feel this craving is in our very nature and is the cause of all problems. A lady is called a good wife, good DIL, a good daughter, a good mother, a good employee, a good citizen if she supports and does good to her husband, her PIL family, her parents, her children, her company and her community society respectively. But you can claim those nice titles only if you are recognized. Only if your husband tells you that you are good and supportive only then you can think yourself as a good wife. The difference is you can be a wife and manage the household but to be recognized as a "good" wife you have to be recognized by your husband.

One another way, you could be content and feel accomplished is that you separate yourself as "physical body" and the eternal soul. So, the soul which is stable and is not disturbed by any external factors could recognize that your physical self is being good and that it only does good things to all the people around it. This is why you see people who have realized this truth being happy and peaceful. The reason for this inner peace is that they get recognized by themselves and never depend on others fro assurance and in the end they do not have to prove anything to anybody. If someone recognizes them beyond themselves, they take it in their stride and tie it to their physical body. I am not talking about saints; I am talking about people who are very much among us, living their lives but are not disturbed by external factors and are always at peace. They seem to be not interested in trivial matters, they seem to ignore petty issues and it is almost always impossible for these kinds of people to get offended or hurt by others.

To conclude, take some time, sit back, reflect on things and try to give yourself some recognition. Try to understand why you fell short of recognition even after doing things above and beyond others expectation. Also give some recognition to your husband, children, PIL, parents, co-workers, neighbors and friends. Again it is not recognizing the bad things that they have done and said to you but the good ones!

Cheers!
    Radheshyam.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radheyshyam
    This 'craving for recognition' is what our scriptures so assiduously caution us against. Bhagvat Gita stands foremost in this. It preaches that we must do our duty and leave the results to God. Chitvish and I jointly wrote a series on the teachings of Gita in the Religious Forum last year. This is what I wrote in one of the articles:

When we perform our duties, it will naturally be tuned towards a specific goal. There will be no positive vibe if success is not the goal of our actions. So what is emphasised here is not that our Karma should be performed unmindful of the result but that our mental equilibrium should not be disturbed by the nature of the result. When a renowned sculptor or a painter is at work, his sole aim will be to ensure that the outcome of his effort should enhance his reputation and his professional status further. He will not be thinking of the monetary value of his work. A world class musician will not tune his performance to the amount of reward that he gets for the concert. The quality of his music will be the same irrespective of what he gets by way of remuneration. His professional pride will take precedence over all other consideration.

Let us remember that our Karma should be in pursuit of excellence but not of a reward.
    Recognition is also a form of Reward that our minds tend to get attached!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  3. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi !

A matter to ruminate upon.

A word of appreciation or even an acknowledgement does provide the necessary motivation for further endeavours. But a "Craving" could prove to be injurious to our own mental health ! Expectations always meet with disappointments. Total detachment from the fruits of labour is a lofty goal, difficult to achieve. But its well within our reach to tone down cravings and count the blessings. Such people are less likely to be "offended or hurt by others" .

Interesting read.:thumbsup

4. Radheshyam

Radheshyam Senior IL'ite

Thank you for the feedback Cheeniya Sir. I have read many of your articles in IL and have great respect for your thoughts. But, I couldn't agree (rather understand) with your FB about my post.
    Also, I like a no-string-no-prejudice attached debate as it helps me learn something new from the other person. :)

First point:
    In my post, I wrote that everyone craves for recognition and that is the cause of all problems. I wanted to convey the message our need for recognition makes us do things to please others and when the desired reaction is not received, we get angry, frustrated, stressed and hurt. What I wanted to say is that analyze your actions and appreciate the good things you do and do not depend for assurance from external sources. Doing this you feel peaceful and you continue to do what you are doing. Finally when you are not agitated and when you are at peace you are surely doing the right thing!

But, you mentioned that Recognition is a reward and we should not plan our actions based on the reward. You wrote that when we do a good thing we would get a positive vibe to it. Like you do something and people around you are happy. Don't you think it as a form of recognition, a feeling that you are doing the right thing?

Second point:
    I understand the inner meaning of detachment and understanding that God is the one who is making you do all the actions. But I doubt that a person living a normal day-to-day family life amidst the society could claim that GOD is responsible for all his/her actions and that he /she does not care about the result of their actions.

Third point: You mentioned that a renowned sculptor should just do his duty of sculpting a statue and should not be focused on the outcome. Agreed. How can he call himself a sculptor? By birth, we have some vasana and we develop our talent based on this vasana. But unless someone evaluates his works and appreciates him or he himself feels good about his work and he would not have decided to work on his vasana and pursue it as his duty or career.

Finally, this is more like a request for clarification and to add it my KB :)!)
    Also, you wrote the Gita says "We must do our duty and leave the results to God". I have seen different people take this differently. The Lord said this to Partha after explaining his duties – Arjuna's duty of standing up for what is right. Arjuna's mind was restless; <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> explained why he is there in the battlefield and what is expected of him. My question was how do you know what is your duty and what you consider as your duty may be evil or disastrous for others; but you still continue to do it ? I also understand that the Gita explains that everybody is born with duty (per their caste) and that even though they are faulty they should not abandon them. The reason He says that all undertakings are surrounded with evil, like the pure fire surrounded by smoke. So is it necessary for evil to be present in this world for and that we cannot do anything about it ? I interpret this as a person is being born with good and bad qualities. Like the whole Mahabarata war is going on inside us and that we should reassure, appreciate and recognize the good qualities in us and fight the evil or bad qualities in us.

Cheers !
    Radheshyam.

5. luckybychance

luckybychance Senior IL'ite

6. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Radheshyam,

I think I am beginning to understand what you mean. Let me tell you how I healed myself.
    I thought I had fulfilled, to the best of my ability my role as DIL. We seemed very happy - my ILs and I. We enjoyed a very good relationship, when suddenly a couple of years ago after my FIL's death my SIL and some of our relatives found me wanting in my role as DIL. I was subjected to so much of hate email and e abuse. It just shattered me. Even my husband's unfailing support for me and reassurances did not help. I was too upset. Then my MIL had a very, very major health set back. With the surgery, prolonged hospital and ICU stay, her already failing memory took a beating and her physical milestones too deteriorated. She bacame a toddler. Once she came home my husband and I took leave alternately to rehabilitate her - from toilet & potty training, washing & bathing her & dressing her, teaching her to eat by herself etc. I did all of it myself like I did for my children. She re learnt everything - except for her memory. It took about 12 weeks. And I healed within me. It did not hurt anymore what SIL or relatives said about me. I gave myself the recognition my heart was craving for!

Enjoyed reading,
    Love,
    Usha

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear RS
    Why would a debate help only you to learn something new from the other? It would help me too.I am happy that you have not agreed with my views but before I go about explaining why I have written what I have written, let me tell you that I am not a spiritual student and that my reading of the sacred texts is only cursory. I’ll not try to justify my statements because even the great acharyas who have attempted a commentary on Sacred Scriptures like Gita have been questioned by others. I am just a small fry merely trying to adopt my own life to the teachings of Gita as I have understood it.

First point:
    I am afraid that I may have been guilty of not stating my views clearly here. I have stated in my FB that “Recognition is also a form of Reward that our minds tend to get attached!” In other words I have cautioned even against an attachment to recognition. According to me, recognition is of two kinds, one that comes from within and the other that comes from outside. I am sure you have read Irving Stone’s classic novel ‘Agony and Ecstasy’.The desire that motivated Pope Julius II to commission Michaelangelo paint the roof of Sistine Chapel and the inner urge that beckons Michaelangelo accept the task were two different perspectives. As Michaelangelo went through all the extreme agony for four long years, no other thought would have entered his mind. But Pope Julius II would have been dreaming of all the glory that would come to him when the painting got finished. The inward recognition is not a negative force. When we are immensely satisfied with what we have achieved, aspiring for other forms of reward is unwarranted.

Second point:

The story of Sage Narada conceding defeat to an ordinary farmer in his devotion to the Lord is a well known one and is oft repeated in this Forum. Mukthi is not given to only scholars. Most of the 63 Nayanmars were undergoing great suffering, not having resources even to feed their families. Even close to our generations, we have had the privilege of hearing about the lives of Ramana and Shirdi Sai. They just had a small spark that set their souls alight. That’s why we have been told that spending hours through meditation is not the only way to feel close to God.

Third point:
    I agree that vasanas cause us to become what we are but exceptional people rose above the vasanas and achieved incredible spiritual heights. That was because they had the insight to align their lives to God’s Plan.

In answer to your question raised in conclusion, I can just quote Eckhart:
    ‘Whoever has God in mind, simply and solely God, in all things, such a man carries God with him into all his works and into all places and God alone does all his works. He becomes one with God in every thought. Just as no multiplicity can dissipate God, so nothing can dissipate this man or make him multiple’
    Sri

8. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

A most enjoyable write up. The ultimate wisdom is what you appear to have spoken about. Know thyself, or atmanam viddhi. That is the only way to find true happiness. Look at yourself objectively, but with an objectivity that is internal to your soul. Not objectivity as defined by others' evaluation of you.

In fact, one can never be truly happy unless s/he learns to respect her/himself. I know there are people who do it quite naturally. There are others who reach that state through introspection and practice.

Unfortunately, many fail too. Or else, why is there so much unhappiness and pain?

Good post.

oj

9. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Radheshyam,

I relate your post to the teachings of Krishna towards the attainment of Moksha, Liberation...

When one goes beyond the state of expecting appreciation and approbation, I think one attains the state of a Stitha-Pragnyam a Perfect Yogi... then, it ceases to matter what others think of one's actions, words... because one has severed any attachment to sensory perceptions. One is free from the illusory world, one is detached but carries out one's duty unfailingly

Just my two cents, dear. I find this topic very interesting and can go on at length...

Love,
    Padma

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Radheshyam..
    Enjoyed the fbs that followed..it is like I went to a religious discourse.

In our day to day life, we crave for attention for our work being done..which in turn makes us happy to move further the next day with great enthusiasm..

Recognising the craving of the soul...we need to plan for an inner journey.

sriniketan