1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a special needs child??

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Re: Do you have a special needs child??

Hi Guys, I am a mother of a Trisomy-21 (DS) child.
    I was directed to ILs when I was searching something related to trisomy but got stuck to the family & relationship section out of the troubles of my married life, torture from PILs & trying to put it back to normal all this while.
    Recently maggi invited me to contribute a thread on teens when I happened to find this old thread posted.

As Oosha mentioned this was destiny.. so was it for me (all tests were false negative) along with meconium ingestion by the child.. my DH failed to believe me that the child was in distress since his mom told him that she herself never felt their movements.
    My child is adorable, manageable & we've learnt to live with the fact since the report tested positive & infact being appreciated by docs on our approach & attitude. Initial year there were basic survival issues which we got over & now we shall start the real challenges when it comes to fine motor skills & social adjustments.

For me the list of challenges ahead in life are:
    1) Coping up delays of my child (2nd child) & trying my best to make his life close to normal to help him fend for himself when we're not around.
    2) Ensuring that my first normal child never suffers or misses anything in life.
    3) Coping up with warring ILs for basic matrimonial issues & immature behaviours towards me & this child... things are slowly improving at the child front when he gets appreciation from others for his growth etc.
    4) Coping up with a DH who's caught between mother & wife & most of the time forgets to support the wife... tho has a lot of affection for the 2nd child.... only becos of his attitude the ILs mind their treatment to this child.
    5) Struggling to remain in job since my ILs & my DH frequently keep threatning my parents for separation etc.

I am associated to various groups to ensure the childs best interest.. however am left with very less energy to do much to keep everyone happy. I've also passed the phase "Why only me" but then heard from many ppl that GOD gives to those who can bear it.. sometimes I really reach my capacity from all fronts & really want to cry my heart out... for that also I run out of time... however I find IL as the best way to vent out my inner feelings remaining anonymous to ppl in front of whom I dont even have freedom to speech... also becos ppl tend to isolate you when you crib about a lot of troubles in life.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Dearmost Shanthi,

Firstly a BIG HELLO to you dear. I am back to this thread with full of enthusiasm, yes I have come back to tell the tales about Krithi's journey in SANKALP for which I am more thankful to you and the teachers in SANKALP and also I have never repented why my child is in a special school, Sankalp was the place where Krithi learnt self esteem, self confidence and learnt the life skills which she had completely lost in a mainstream school.............All these days I was in a kind of depression where i could not talk to anyone because only tears would roll down..........the agony I was going through.:eek:mg:. May be I have come out of it thats why I am back here to share with you all. Now Krithi is in KUMARA RANI MEENA MUTHAIAH SCHOOL ADYAR, exempted from 2nd lang. and with some more facilities for her in the school...........
    Krithi wants to thank Shanti Aunty for referring Sankalp, a place where she found herself very comfortable, made lots of friends, made her bold to talk to people, a good decision maker and lots more to go on..............

3. padmavathi m

I attended a seminar on INCLUSIVE PRACTICES FOR Students with Special Needs held by SANKALP recently, there were more than 250 delegates for the seminar including special educators, parents,mainstream school teachers, heads of instituitions, doctors, paediatricians. Expert international and national faculty too participated in this seminar.......I came across Mrs Mythili chari, who has authored 2 books Autism Diagnosis and After, Educational Managemet of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, Mrs. Rajul Padmanabhan Director of Vidya Sagar.
    Reasons for giving all these informations is, any parent with special needs children, teachers who come across these children or a parent, would definitely benefit from this............whoever wants help or wants to help can contact these persons

Shanti as I have contact nos of the special educators, parents, who would surely come for help when required, i thought i would key in few nos each day and you can combine it, make a different file , given with a link.
    let me start it today itself

1. Nirmala Pandit, Special Educator, Chetpet,9840912092
    2. Maria Nalini, Special Educator, Kodambakkam-9840050175
    3. Deepa Arvind, Prinicipal, Kindernest, Annanagar-9940495410
    4. Sreedevi Vivek, Principal, Sree Rehabilitation Centre, Perungalathur-9884051482
    5. Rajeshwari Vaidyanathan, Special Educator, Besant Nagar, 9840149615

Regards
    Padma

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Padma - I need some help from you. I saw a child with mild intellectual disabilty/slow learner today and her mother is interested in relocating to Chennai as the state of special needs education in Erode is pretty bad. Does Sankalp take in slow learners? Any other schools in Chennai for slow learners that you are aware of?

Shanthi - if you could help too that would be great.

V.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Vanathi,

When i talked to padma, she said kumar rani school kotturpuram was very welcoming and accomodating for slow learners.

yes sankalp helps slow learners, and you have nos option.

i am sure rama (teacher can also guide us in this regard..) she is a special needs educator. Check out her replies in this thread. looks she is still in the network.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/schools/86085-need-details-experienced-good-special.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/schools/89939-need-advice.html

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thanks so much Shanthi - knew I could count on you :)

V.

7. padmavathi m

Hi Vanathi,

Sorry dear for seeing your post so late, any how Shanti has given you the details
    Kumara Rani Meena Muthaiah School
    No.4 Crescent Avenue Road,
    Gandhi Nagar, Adyar, Chennai-20
    PH. 24425037, 24413726
    here anytime you get admission they offer even NOS for 11th and 12th

Sankalp
    Near Vijaya Maruthi Bus stop
    Annanagar
    Ph.26182588
    Sankalp last working day is 30th April. so you can tell them to approach soon

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Shilpama,
    Hats off to your spirit, please do not depend on others for emotional support. It is a cruel world really, people derive happiness when they see others in pain. Please be brave, as you already are, and take care of your child. You can always talk here, we all understand your position. Sometimes we mothers feel like crying out due to many reasons, mainly stress created by close family members. And the husband's side start the blame game and bring all our side ancestors from their grave. And men find it difficult to accept the fact that their child needs special care. I had been thro all this and even now am trying to help my son whenever he needs it.
    Talk to us, we will hear you!

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thanks Padma. Will let you know what happens.

V.

10. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Varloo thanks for your inspirational words, it helps, I wish the same for all such mothers/ parents that they get extra energy & motivation to do the needful.

In my case thankfully DH is aware, supportive & positive towards the child as of now... when many people spoke a lot, he said what matters is that you and I love him, many people talk ill about us even when we're normal & hence it doesn't matter. His words really moved me & gave a lot of inner strength.

Btw, my toddler son is hyperactive, whenever possible he shall riot around until the entire house and kitchen comes on floor, first opportunity, he shall climb atop the dining table and throw items & talk on phone. He never understands or reacts to "Dont Do this" but the moment I raise my volume or show him hand he shall rush to his dad howling.. as if there was a big insult. Will you be aware of tips to channelise this hyper energy into something constructive... only peaceful option is when he's strapped into the pram which he completely detests & that too is loosing nuts n bolts with his energy, any attempt to place him on cycle, walker goes in vain cos he climbs out at first available opportunity. Sometimes its fun and sometimes tiring and scary. If I put him on low level feeder chair, he'll topple it and find his way out. Completely as if a monkey was let loose.